pieman

do apple still make the best protable music players

do they still make the best mp3 players with the video ipod getting long in the tooth do they still have what it takes to compete or are other manufactorers taken over ipod and threating its dominance.

Unless you have been living in a closet for the past 6 years, yes, they do. That's why they have over 75% OF THE MARKET!!!!!!

They do have a large market share, but that’s generally a poor indicator of where a tech company is going. I mean there is no question about who has led the portable music player industry in the past few years, but Creative just got a sweet settlement from Apple, which no doubt they will put into beating the iPod going forward.

I mean they just leaked the Creative Vision:W pictures and it doesn’t look bad. I also heard a rumor that they might try to swing their new iPod accessory deal to put the iPod dock connector into their own players. This would make iPod massive accessory collection work for Creative, rather then against them.

78% only in the US.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/20/app...music.business/

The Cupertino-based company told investors that it holds 40 percent marketshare in the U.K., 54 percent in Japan, 45 percent in Canada, and 58 percent in Australia.

"In the rest of Europe and Asia, we do not enjoy the same level of marketshare," Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer told investors and analysts.

lol if apple didn't make the best portable music player then all the other companies wouldn't be biting off all of apple's innovations... *cough CREATIVE *cough

Hmmm, I don't think anyone doubts that the ipod was good. it saved apple big time. it funded the current inovation in the mac platform. but I think if were honest the gap between apple and its competion is closing. sandisk have an 8GB nano size player, creative have a widescreen media player, and apple are late to market on products to compete with these. unless we see some big news on Sept 25 I think apple will feel the heat this holiday season.

Widescreen video players have been out for ages. They lack content though so they don't do that well. Apple does need to get some cheaper flash memory though, I think it was a bit of a mistake to replace a 8GB ipod mini with a 4GB nano anyway.

Apple are slowly dropping behind. The competition has larger capacity and more features.

The only thing the competition doesn't have is the iTunes Music Store. I have already some music bought there despite my best efforts to resist! This music (as well as full mac support) is going to keep me with the iPod.

Other players are restricted to purchased music that use WMA DRM which has a ridiculous restriction on the number of times you can copy to a portable device (normally 5?) and is generally very sucky. They also normally completely ignore the mac platform.

Yes I know the well quoted <5% market share, but when you consider that loads of the remaining 95% are in offices, the percentage of computers that are actually used in the home for 'fun' media player stuff is much higher. Any music player that isn't an iPod is therefore missing out on possibly 15% of users who cannot purchase online music for their media player.

The iPod also has two more intangible things going for it - style and ease of use. The iPod is a style symbol now. Everyone who is cool has one. Ease of use is a big thing too. Last Christmas seemed to be MP3 player year in my family. My brother and I both got new iPods (me a video and him a nano), my sister inherited my 3G, and two cousins (2nd or 3rd... I can't keep that stuff straight) also got videos. My uncle, who is no tech slouch and originally taught me to use a computer, bought an iRiver for my aunt for when she jogs. While we were checking stuff out, he said that while the iRiver was much cheaper than the iPod nano and had a radio, the iPod was vastly easier to use. He had been playing with the iRiver all day an not gotten it all worked out yet, but he figured out everything on the iPod in 5 minutes having never used an iPod before.

Edited by Trium Shockwave

Market share does not mean they have the best product... look at Windows.

I think that the personal computer market is rather different, though. Traditionally, say pre-2002 or so, there were enourmous compatibility issues, both hardware and software, that made made a single standard, MS Windows, very attractive. People shared documents and periperals that were different for Macs and Windows PCs. Technology is shifting away from those compatibility issues which is helping transform the personal computer market into a more "normal" market.

In most other markets, it doesn't help me that we use the same products. For instance, I don't benfit if we both drive Hondas. I may be influenced by your selection if I am impressed by your car, but there are no compatibility issues between most products as there were in personal computers. Most products have no network benefits.

The digital music player market is more like the car market than the PC market: I may be influenced if I am impressed by your selection, but we don't derive tangible mutual benefit by having a common device.

That over 70% of the US market and large segments of the world market use the iPod is strong evidence that Apple has a very solid product. Not proof, just evidence. :)

evenprimes

Its true that the iPod's UI is far more intuitive then the iRiver, but I've owned a Creative player, and the menu system is very similar, the only thing it lacked was a click wheel. The UI on creative older players (the zen touch was the one I had) was just as intuitive as apple's, although a little slower because of vertical trackpad. Also, although apple's products are always more stylish then the competition, I wouldn't rely on the iPods fad status to last forever. I spoke to my sister in Dublin Ireland yesterday, and leopard print is all in for the fall season. Now I'm as excited about 10.5 as the next guy, but if the masses can wear leopard print and think its cool, they could very easily decide that beige PCs and chunky iRiver players are the next big fad!

I was looking at the new SanDisk players, they are very very good, Apple has some tough competition