Sign in to follow this  
tripperharrison

Drag and Drop and the Finder icon in the dock

Hi,

I've been using a Mac for sixteen months now, and I really love it, but I do have a few small irksome issues I wish I could iron out.

For one, I love the drag and drop and spring-loaded folder functionality built into OS X (especially when used in conjuntion with Expose). What I don't understand is why you can't launch a Finder window by hovering a file or folder over it, the way you can launch other relevant applications in the dock.

If I receive an attachment on an e-mail, for instance, I would like to be able to just grab the attached file from the e-mail and take it to the Finder icon in the dock to launch a Finder window and then use the spring loaded folder navigation to place the attached file where I'd like to save it.

I can do all of that very smoothly and elegantly, except for the first step. I have to first go down and click on the Finder icon to open a window, and then click on the e-mail program to make it again the active window, and only then can I return to my drag and drop dreamworld.

It feels like having to get out of a warm bed on a cold morning to turn off an alarm clock across the room.

Is there a way to work around this? A way to launch a new first Finder window with a keyboard shortcut would be helpful, if not ideal.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

I've been using a Mac for sixteen months now, and I really love it, but I do have a few small irksome issues I wish I could iron out.

For one, I love the drag and drop and spring-loaded folder functionality built into OS X (especially when used in conjuntion with Expose). What I don't understand is why you can't launch a Finder window by hovering a file or folder over it, the way you can launch other relevant applications in the dock.

That's a feature I want too. Especially when I disabled "show files on desktop" setting in the com.apple.finder preference file (makes the desktop neat, but cant drag a pix from a website to desktop to save it). It's coming in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. ($129 USD) Have fun waiting :D

It's coming in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. ($129 USD) Have fun waiting :D

I hope so. That'll be just one more reason I'll be lining up to buy Leopard the day it's released.