ProfMoriarty

Digital Camera

I'm interested in taking photos for my blog and for myself. I don't know much about photography, and I'm not looking for anything "professional" quality. The only thing I need is an easy-to-use, intuitive digital camera that is Mac-friendly. Any reccomendations?

Thanks.

i was looking for a video camera, for my ibook, and i came opon this :http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4544504/search=digital%20camcorder it is a pretty good fit for me, i hope it works for u

Wow, looks good. Has everything I'm looking for and then some. I like the size and price as well. Thanks for the tip, Simpsonmaniac212!

I have a Kodak DX7630 that I took with me to several trips. The battery life is really good as well with a large LCD display. It shot pretty well outdoors in the daytime as well as brightly lit indoors. However when taking photos of dim rooms and nighttime proved a problem. I noticed other cameras that had a hotshoe option using the external flash was doing a much better job of "bouncing flash". Other than that, the Kodak works well with my Mac, plugging into the USB and loading into iPhoto.

I have a Canon A80 that I love.

One thing I recommend - getting some extra flash cards and some rechargeable batteries and a stand alone charger. I bought mine from a place called RipVan100, the pricing was ok. Having extra batteries saved my rear when I was on vacation this spring...my daughter was playing with the camera and left it on. That drained the batteries, luckily I had the spares ready to go.

I use Olympus Camedia C series (i've had 3, left 2 at the beach). I highly recommend them - have a look at overstock.com for some really good prices.

I have a Canon A80 that I love.

I have the same camera and it is a very good digital camera. I am interested in getting something like the Canon S2 IS which now has 10x optical zoom as opposed to the 3x optical zoom on the A80.

Point and shoot cameras are convenient. My only gripe with mine (an Olympus C-720) is that the autofocus takes forever to decide that it is focused. And three out of four times it is out of focus anyways. I myself am looking to get a digital SLR like the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. I wonder if the larger size will deter me from bringing it to some places.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html has some nice reviews.

jorellh - I have a c-4000 and found that if you hold the button half way down before you shoot, it goes and locks on the focus. You can toggle that by releasing and depressing half way again.

Thanks, I knew that, but I have to do that about 3 times every picture depending on lighting etc.

I also have the Canon A80 for 1.5 years. It's a great carmera. My wife's got the Canon S410 and also very good.

My opinion is you get what you paid for in terms of Digital cameras and I tend to stay away from no name brand simply I want to have a better lens. I think you can get a discontinue canon model for under $199 and they are usually pretty good for point and shoot. I don't like Nikon as they have poor performance indoor without using a flash.

That camera that I really want, but cannot afford currently, is the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have a Canon EOS Rebel G with two different lenses that would both work with the Digital Rebel. :)

That camera that I really want, but cannot afford currently, is the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have a Canon EOS Rebel G with two different lenses that would both work with the Digital Rebel. :)

Just sell your yacht!!

http://www.maccast.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=914

and you can have all the cameras in the world that you want. :P

I'm old to the MacCast/new to the forum... but the yacht thing is pretty funny man.

-----------

about the camera: canon powershot A70 is affordable and takes great pix... and if you end up selling the yacht i'm all for the xt. i bought the 300d just before they upgraded to the xt and have been wishing i'd have waited since then.

I'm interested in taking photos for my blog and for myself. I don't know much about photography, and I'm not looking for anything "professional" quality. The only thing I need is an easy-to-use, intuitive digital camera that is Mac-friendly. Any reccomendations?

Thanks.

Hi ProfMoriarty:

There are so many good cameras that are Mac friendly. I would recommend two sites for reviews: imaging-resource.com and http://www.dpreview.com.

I was just on a TalkShoe live show with Victor from The Typical Mac User which is available here. We spoke a lot about digital photography, and Adam Christianson also contributed to the conversation. (TMUP Live 29-it is in the flash player to the left).

All the best,

Andrew Darlow

Editor, The Imaging Buffet

http://www.imagingbuffet.com

I've long been a fan of the Canon pocket-sized point and shoot models. Currently I have the SD630 which is a nice little shooter.

If I were you I'd have a look at the new Leicas. The D-Lux 3 is a sexy little beast.

Edited by mobilexile

I've long been a fan of the Canon pocket-sized point and shoot models. Currently I have the SD630 which is a nice little shooter.

If I were you I'd have a look at the new Leicas. The D-Lux 3 is a sexy little beast.

Probably the hands down best by any measure point and shoot out there. It will do more and look better than anything else I know of. Be prepared to pay for that quality though.

I love my Sony P200 that I bought a couple of years ago. On the question of mac compatibility, pretty much any modern camera will work nicely with a mac. Hell, even my mobile phone starts up iPhoto when I hook up the USB cable (with no drivers too - just try that on windows!).

I would encourage anyone in the market for a camera to head over to Flickr and search by camera. That way you can see actual images shot with the devices in your consideration set. It's a nice way to juxtapose any reviews you read. After all, words don't come out of cameras, pictures do.

I love my Canon SD550!! Its a great lil' point and click. I even got my mom one too because she liked it so much.

Probably the hands down best by any measure point and shoot out there. It will do more and look better than anything else I know of. Be prepared to pay for that quality though.

You are a Bad Bad man ;) i just bought one after looking at the specs and design, wow if Apple was going to make a Camera it would be this sexy.

Just waiting for the postman

What to do with the 3 others I already have :unsure:

Edited by zionlion

Victor just did a whole pod-cast last week on Dig Camera He had a special guest on. Might give it a listen first before buying. (Typical Mac User Podcast)> Google it. Clark

You are a Bad Bad man ;) i just bought one after looking at the specs and design, wow if Apple was going to make a Camera it would be this sexy.

Congrats, there is no other point and shoot that will touch it I would say. Real sexy plus RAW and some great manual stuff. Enjoy.

Congrats! You're going to love that camera. I sat on the fence for months...yesterday I found one in my city (the only one in town that was left) and rushed to the store to grab it. Having only used it for a short period of time I can say this is the best point and shoot I've owned to date.

Sexy.

Great feature set.

Decent size.

RAW.

What more do you want?

The only downside I've identified thus far would be with shooting RAW. It's quite slow to save the files. But hey, it's a darn small camera so I can live with it.

In low light, with image stabilization on, this thing is AMAZING. Makes every Canon point and shoot I've had pale in comparison.

Now my wife is looking at the Leica C-Lux 2. That's quite nice as well (and finally released).

Edited by mobilexile