Chiefton

I made the BIG Switch!!!

Okay, long story short I just ordered my very first Mac - a Mac Book Pro - 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, etc. This is HUGE for me... did I mention HUGE!?!?!!! It has taken me quite a long time to come around to the idea of using a Mac, let alone buying one.

I have been a PC guy all my life. I work on them all day long as a Sr. Systems Administrator for a University. Ever since the release of the Intel based Macs and Boot Camp, I have been interested in keeping up-to-date with them. I even started listening to this GREAT podcast and a few others. They have all helped greatly in my decision.

Now my father has been a Mac guy for a number of years now and has loved it. I used to joke with him and everyone else of all the things a Mac can't do, how expensive the are (of course that has not changed much), and so forth. My manager and I have always joked about them. But now... I almost feel like I have gone to the dark side! But so far, I am enjoying the ride (with this podcast).

I can only imagine the joking that wil be flying around my office when I get my new Mac Book Pro shipped to my office! And the large learning curve I will have trying to find Mac apps to help my manage our Windows Active Driectory, VMWare Server, etc. I will definelty be buying Parellels right after I transfer all my files over.... But I can't wait. Wish my luck!

PS If anyone out there manages Active Directory with some apps from their Mac, instead of just Remote Desktop of VNC, please let me know the tools you use. It will greatly help me.

Congratulations and welcome to the community. If you ever need help, advice, reassurance or just wanna talk Mac then come here and bath in MacChat. You can also PM/e-mail me any time and I will certainly be glad to help in any way I can.

Remember, I was a switcher too as were most of the guys.

Youll never go back to wormware, in regards to Active Directory, dont really admin a large scale network but Remote Desktop from MS is actually quite good.

jack

Edited by jackt

You won't wanna touch a PC after you use your MacBook Pro.

Wow, those are quite the specs. It must have had a hefty price tag.

Yea, it was a little on the pricey side, but I did get the educational discount. Plus a semi-free 4GB ipod Nano, that I intend to resell to get some $$ back. But I need it all so I can run both parrallels at work and Boot Camp for a few games. That and my ~23 GB MP3 collection. Plus, with the Apple credit I have their 3/mo same as cash offer.

I would love to get my wife a MacBook, but I need to get this payed down some first. :P

Of course she was trying to steal my nano last night! I got that already. Just waiting on the MacBook Pro to arrive at its new home. :D

I also tended to do "low-level" active directory admin with Remote Desktop. I also found that Thursby's ADmit Mac was essential. It's been over a year now, but I was never very happy with Apple's built in methods of logging in to AD as a client. ADmit Mac was a life saver, IMHO.

If you follow the link in my sig, look for NoahJ in the forums, he's a big VMware user. I'm sure he'd be able to help.

Edited by treadlightly

I and my former IT Department will second the AdmitMac endorsement. It is a little pricey, but with time you will save vs. trying to decipher Apple's built-in Active Directory support you will get your money back quick. I'm not saying you can do it with the built-in methods, but AdmitMac will have you up and running much quicker.

Thanks so much for the info. I have look at that app but it seems to be to allow Macs to be administered on an Active Directory Domain. I would like to administer other "Users and Computers" already on the domain, not Macs. On the PC/Server side I would use "Active Directory Users and Computers." I will look through the forums some more for that specific task. I do appreciate the help though!

Yea, it rocks!!! I got my MacBook Pro earlier than expected, but I have been playing with it so much I forgot to post an update! I am listening the let latest maccast as I am typing this. I loved it right out of the box. I got it setup the way I want it and have learned a lot long the way.

I am using parralles full screen on a second monitor. It is awesome being able to be on a full Windows box and Mac at the same time. I have to for work anyway. It works great. Then I can reboot it for updates while I keep working! :)

I also figured out setup up my network printers, Directory Access, and Entourage (with Public folders). I did have to play with these a bit but got it working. Also, someone showed me how to mapping to windows/smb shares so now I am in business.

I also found some great software for monitoring my system, managing RRS fees, etc. And it is all working great! I am suprised just how great. The only issue I have every once in a while is it does not always wake from sleep. I guess is still adjusting to the jet lag from China! I reset the PRAM and Power Management and it has only happened once since. The airport is also not as strong as the Dell I switched from. All-In-All I am very happy. :D