John Bowdler

You've got...

..mail, mail, mail, mail, mail.

Help!

For some reason, every time I use my Mail programme it sends out an email I originally mailed a year ago, apparently to everyone in my address book.

I've checked the preferences in the Mail programme and on my Macunlimited server (online) and can't find any instructions to do this - or any copies of the offending emails.

The problem started when I changed the rules on my Mail account. Previously, every time I sent an email Mail would prompt me: 'Can't use your Macunlimited mailout server. Would you like to use one of these others?' I would then select the OneTel server; the one I'm currently using.

However, I got fed up with this and changed my Macunlimited account on the Mail programme to use the OneTel mailout server. A bit of a hybrid, but it works!

Since then I don't get the pesky dialogue box but I do get ratty emails from frazzled friends, fed up with getting the same redundant email daily.

Any ideas how I can stop these automatic emails being sent?

Many thanks,

John

Hello

How often does the pesky email get sent? is it every time you send and recieve or just once a day? Does it happen if the mail programe is not running?

Also, do you have any Rules active?

Ric

Hello

How often does the pesky email get sent? is it every time you send and recieve or just once a day? Does it happen if the mail programe is not running?

Also, do you have any Rules active?

Ric

Well, my friend has just sent me a screenshot showing that I've sent 47 copies of the pesky email in 20 minutes! It appears to be sampling previous emails and automatically replying to them.

I do have rules active, but I've checked them and can't find any instructing Mail to automatically reply.

Many thanks for your reply.

John

Well, my friend has just sent me a screenshot showing that I've sent 47 copies of the pesky email in 20 minutes! It appears to be sampling previous emails and automatically replying to them.

I do have rules active, but I've checked them and can't find any instructing Mail to automatically reply.

Many thanks for your reply.

John

If it was me I would wipe out all rules or shut them off (I don't use Apple's Mail) and see what happens. Whenever I get weird stuff like this I also run Cocktail. A little maintenance never hurts.

That's a start anyway.

What about creating a new user account and migrating your data, not a difficult option.

I use Apple Mail, but I don't use the rules, but if I was sending "47 copies of the pesky email in 20 minutes", I'd try that first.

If that didn't work, I'd start looking at the server side of things.

If it was me I would wipe out all rules or shut them off (I don't use Apple's Mail) and see what happens. Whenever I get weird stuff like this I also run Cocktail. A little maintenance never hurts.

That's a start anyway.

Brilliant!

Thanks.

What about creating a new user account and migrating your data, not a difficult option.

I use Apple Mail, but I don't use the rules, but if I was sending "47 copies of the pesky email in 20 minutes", I'd try that first.

If that didn't work, I'd start looking at the server side of things.

I'll try creating a new account. If that doesn't work I'll delete all the rules and start again.

Many thanks.