yalskey

Self-Defense Show - Main Update Thread

Hi everyone,

If you are interested in self-defense (the real stuff, not karate b.s.), then I have a podcast for you! Look below at the posts in this thread for updates on the Self-Defense Show! A podcast that will allow you to prevail over violence, and be a survivor, rather than a victim!

http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

selfdefense@mac.com

Comments Voicemail: 206-600-5520

PODCAST RSS/URL FEED ADDRESS:

http://rss.mac.com/yalskey/iWeb/Sel...Podcast/rss.xml

===============

SHOW DISCRIPTION:

The Self-Defense Show - Hosted by Professor Charles Hepburn II and his wife Christie, this is a podcast about personal protection, safety, violence survival, counter-crime measures, security, and self defense. Although we talk about dark subjects, we try and inject some humor into the show to lighten things up. This is NOT karate or martial arts... this is HIGHLY EFFECTIVE and realistic self defence advice and information to save yourself from crime and violence. There will be at least 2 new episodes per week. If you would like to email us, please do at selfdefense@mac.com

Hey guys,

Episode 014 is up and ready to be listened to.

It's all about detecting falacies in people's arguments / reasoning.

It's intellectual self-defense at it's best... with a dash of humor.

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Howdy Everyone,

We have been getting a TON of great listener support... so thank everyone for listening!

Episode 015 is now available for download. It's about how to assess a threat. If somebody says they will kill you, in writing or verbally, how do you know if they will make good on thier promise to kill? This episode will show you how.

You can go to www.SelfDefenseShow.com and click on the Podcast section at the top of the page to listen to the episode.

Alternatively, you can search for us on iTunes by searching for Self-Defense or any similar phrase in the podcast section. iTunes tends to be a day or so behind when it comes to having the latest episode however.

Third, you could download the episodes directly by going to:

http://idisk.mac.com/yalskey-Public/

in a folder there, you will be able to download any episode by clicking the little down arrow in a circle on the right.

Please feel free to contact us:

selfdefense@mac.com

Phone Voicemail: 206-600-5520

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Thanks guys :-)

p.s. Don't forget about our iTunes review contest. The person who writes the best iTunes review (it doesn't have to be a high-star review, just written well and is helpful) has a chance to win the Self-Defense Show episodes 001 and 002; plus a copy of The VITAL Dozen DVD by VITAL Self-Defense! Hurry though because your review must be posted to iTunes by September 24th. (Non-US iTunes store reviews must email us with a screen shot of your review) selfdefense@mac.com

How did you get the voicemail line.

Easy and free my friend.

www.k7.net

Hope that helped you :-)

Wuz up fellow Mac Geeks?

Hey, episode 016 is ready for you to gobble up.

Not a whole lot of self-defense specific stuff, but it's fairly funny and entertaining anyways.

You WILL NOT want to miss 017 however. It will be posted Thursday night. As it turns out, I was COMPLETELY WRONG about Martial arts being BAD for self-defense, as you will hear me admit on episode 017. Check it out, I'm pretty sure you will like it! ;-)

Thanks to VWTim for some great email conversations. I'll tell you more about that in episode 018, which will be out this Sunday.

Thanks again guys for listening to the show.

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

selfdefense@mac.com

Phone Voicemail: 206-600-5520

Our BEST episode ever is OUT!

Episode 017 is one funny funny show, and almost an hour long too!

If you don't laugh your ass off, there's something wrong with you.

EPISODE DESCRIPTION

Charles admits he was wrong in episode 008 about martial arts being a bad for self-defense. After talking with some listeners, Charles thumbed through a Kung-Fu and Judo book, and discovered that martial arts really is the perfect answer for all kinds of violence issues. Christie introduces 15 major types of violence, from child molestation to carjacking, and Charles solves each one of these issues completely with ancient wisdom from the martial arts world. So I guess all those schools and instructors out there in martial arts are right and very responsible when they tell their students that martial arts is good for self-defense! At least Charles admits when he is wrong. But with all the answers to inter-Human violence solved with martial arts, what will we talk about next episode?

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

selfdefense@mac.com

Voicemail: 206-600-5520

Hey freaks and geeks,

Just wanted to remind you all about your chance to win the Self-Defense Show episodes 001, 002, as well as VITAL Self-Defense’s 90-minute DVD, The VITAL Dozen.

All you have to do is go on the iTunes music store, search for Self-Defense in the Podcast section, and give us a review (good or bad) by the 24th of September.

On September 24th, Christie and I will subjectively pick the best (not necessarily the highest star) review, and announce the winner on that evening’s episode!

If you live outside of the USA, you can still try to win, but since we can’t see any non-US iTunes stores, please email us a screen shot of your review on iTunes. Make sure we can read it in the picture / image you send.

The winner will be getting 2.5 hours of audio, and 1.5 hours of video, for a total of 4 hours of self-defense goodness! Let your friends know, and have them review the show too!

Question? Comments?

selfdefense@mac.com

Episode 018 is ready for your listening pleasure guys...

Oh my God, Charles is alone again in this episode!!! In this special episode of the Self-Defense Show, Charles reads an email from a listener who brings up many valid points about the show, and the issue of martial arts being poor for self-defense. Charles then reads his overly long reply to the listener's email. This really adds a whole other layer of information to Charles' stance on this issue. It compliments episode 008 very well, so go and listen to that one if you haven't already! If this one is too dry for you, just skip it and go to the next episode.

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

selfdefense@mac.com

Voicemail Comments: 206-600-5520

Episode 019 is ready guys

Episode 019 is all about catching up with listener's emails and voicemails. After a bunch of correspondence came our way, we wanted to take some time to reply to it all. In our replies to listener's questions, there is valuable self-defense information. This episode definitely compliments episode 008 very well. So if you want a 1, 2, 3 combo knock-out argument for why martial arts is NOT good for self-defense, checkout episode 008, then 018, and finally this episode (019). Don't worry, Christie and I have a bunch of crude dark humor fun in this one too! :-)

SelfDefense@mac.com

www.SelfDefenseShow.com

BIG NEW ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE SELF-DEFENSE SHOW...

GO OVER TO http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Ok folks, I knew this was coming. So I guess it’s about time that I do this.

I don’t want the Self-Defense Show to become us just reading emails and our replies; especially not on the same subject (i.e. martial arts being no good for self-defense) over and over. That is just dry and repetitious for the listeners who understand our stance on the issue, and it is mostly ineffective for those who will never understand.

On the flip side of the coin, I feel that some listeners out there could benefit from getting a little sneak peak into the emails I receive, and my replies to them. There is something of value in hearing other people’s points being raised, and addressed. This is especially true of the listeners out there who don’t understand or disagree with the whole martial arts issue.

There are many topics that Christie and I want to address with this podcast. We don’t want our wheels to get stuck in the mud of a controversial debate. Either you agree with us, or you don’t. Either way, truths / good information don’t displace other truths / good information. So if what you believe works, it won’t contrast what we say… and to be fair, it works vise versa too. At least we will give you a logical rationale behind why our advice is this or that.

So we want to focus on delivering solid self-defense advice with our perspective; and not get sidetracked from that goal. We will present our research and advice throughout all future episodes, and it’s up to you to decide if you will utilize what we say or not. If you see the logic / truth in it, good for you. If you have another take, that’s great too… I hope it works for you, and I hope your views are backed up with as much solid research and reasoning as ours is.

This is NOT to say that we are closing our minds to any new ideas or vantage points. We absolutely still want to interact with our listeners and hear them out. We don’t have any monopoly on the truth, and we very well could screw something up, or get something wrong. We are Human the same as you, and don’t claim to be perfect. We need you as listeners to contribute to the show and add your unique and valuable experiences / knowledge into the pot so all can feast. The power of “me” is far less then the power of “we”.

What we ARE trying to do is close the feedback loop. We don’t want the show to become: you sending us email, us reading and replying to your email on the show, then others emailing us about our email reply, and on and onward to the downward spiral (yeah NIN) we go. We won’t make any progress in the show, and you guys as listeners will think “they sure spend all their time ripping on martial arts, but never tell us what THEY think will work”.

So, it’s quite a little dilemma isn’t it? Well, I’ve come up with a fairly decent solution. It will allow us to propel forward with the material we want to cover in the show, but still allow the listeners who are interested in getting a sneak peak into our correspondences a chance to learn vicariously. That is why I’m making a new section of the website called “Feedback”.

Basically, it would be like another Blog-type section on the website. When I get an email that I think would be beneficial for others to read, I will ask the author’s permission to post their email first. If they agree, then I will post (kind of like a blog entry, but in this new “Feedback” section) to the website the original email and any back and forth replies. It would be similar to a “Dear Abby” column in fact. Plus, you could add comments to the bottom of each entry stating your opinions.

Please note, I WILL NOT post any emails you send me without your permission first. You have my word on that. I don’t want this thing to intimidate listeners from emailing in fear that I will put it up for everyone to see. The flip side to this is I cannot promise that I WILL put your email in the Feedback section if you want me to. Also, I will NOT include any email addresses or phone numbers that give away your personal info. If you would like me to use your name, fine; alternatively, you could give me a handle to use instead.

This will free up the actual podcast to cover new issues and constructive information. The people who want to see what I’ve been emailing back and forth, can go to the Feedback section and read all they want. They can even subscribe to the RSS feed if they like, and get it automatically downloaded to their newsreaders.

Problem solved. (I hope)

As far as voicemail audio comments go… we still want you to load us up with comments. We need more people out there to give us voicemail comments. We will play your voicemail on the show if we feel it necessary to comment / answer something about your voicemail. If it’s just you leaving your take on the subject, that’s fine too. We will put your voicemail at the end of the show for all the listeners to hear. I will also make a corresponding entry post into the Feedback section of the website. Other listeners can go there to comment on your voicemail. It’s a chance for you to get your point heard.

Again, I can’t guarantee that we will play all voicemails, but as it stands now your chances are pretty darn good that we will. Even if your voicemail disagrees with our views, we will still play it. That is of course, so long as you have a legitimate point and are respectful in delivering it. In other words, we are not going to play you calling up and just telling us that we are idiots and hanging up. You made no beneficial contribution to the argument / topic at hand. If you did, and also called us idiots, then we would play it.

I hope this mechanism helps add value and subtract problems from the podcast. Please let me know what you think about it. Christie and I really try our best to be self-conscious and level-headed individuals with open minds… just not so open minded that our brains fall out.

Episode 020 is out. http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Sexual Assault and Date Rape are the topics of Episode 020. Christie finds and downloads a couple of quizzes about rape while Charles is away at the food store. When Charles gets back home, Christie sits him down and grills him with the quizzes she found online to see if he really knows his stuff or not. To know the outcome, you'll just have to listen. Putting sexual assault and date rape information in this try-to-stump-Charles format, makes it more enjoyable to learn about such a dark subject. There is our usually inmature humor mixed in as well. SelfDefense@mac.com www.SelfDefenseShow.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

It's time for episode 021 guys... http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Christie's mommy joins us on this special episode. As we have said before, effective self-defense benefits the everyday average person the most. Sure, it's great to be a big strong macho martial arts master, but is the criminal likely to select you as their target? or your ordinary person who looks like they can defend themselves, and aren't being so aware? To highlight the fact that it's the ordinary Jane's of the world that need self-defense the most, we decided to ask Christie's mom to join us and talk about her experiences with violence and trauma. Turns out, this ordinary lady has performed extraordinary feats... including saving a man from being caught under a train in Japan, and experiencing bank robberies where a gun was clicked at point-blank range at her coworker's head! SelfDefense@mac.com www.SelfDefenseShow.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

Episode 022 is out, and this is a REALLY good one guys :-) http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

How do you know when to comply with a criminal's demands, and when to disobey? If you are going to rebel against their will, then what action options do you have? Does fighting back increase your chances of being harmed? Is fighting back the only option you have besides cooperation? All these questions are answered in this episode. Christie and Charles teach you the acronym tactic called TIME for GOALS. The 4 letters in TIME represent the 4 things the predator could do to switch you out of comply mode. The letters in GOALS are the 5 things you could do besides comply. This is a very important fine line to know, and here's your chance to learn about it. SelfDefense@mac.com www.SelfDefenseShow.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

The biggest pain in the arse episode yet!!! Episode 024 is finally out!

http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

The BIG SHOW turns out to be a major pain in the ass. We record a 40 minute show, and we are literally 10 seconds from getting done, and the Audacity app we use crashes and loses everything! After trying for an hour to get it back, we just give up and re-record this episode. Unfortunately, we are dead tired, and repeating yourself on the same episode twice is no fun time. Anyway, we announce the winner(s) of the iTunes review contest. Then we go on to talk a bit about cell phone safety. Sorry about the short and phoned-in episode, but after losing all our work, it took the wind out of us. In fact, Audacity crashed like 5 more times just trying to edit this show together... I don't understand it... it has NEVER crashed before! Now I can't do more then 4 things and it crashes. The gods really didn't want this episode to get out I guess. We promise to do better next episode for you :-) SelfDefense@mac.com www.SelfDefenseShow.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

It's what you all have been waiting for. Down and dirty fighting information! Well, kinda :-) Episode 025 covers most of the major aspects at play in the 30 seconds before a anger-ego brawl starts. Topics talked about include: emotional emissions, verbal tactics, de-escalation, simple alternatives to fighting, body language do's and don'ts, and imminent attack detection. So, all you fight-o-holics out there can chew on this one for a while :-) As always, please be interactive with us. From our best estimates, we have around 200 listeners out there across the world. Don't be strangers, let us hear from you! SelfDefense@mac.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520 www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Episode 026 is ready for you to listen to at http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

You and the Self-Defense Show were meant to be together... FOREVER! Why don't you return my 67 voicemail messages we left for you today? In case you haven't already guessed, Stalking is the subject for episode 026. There's so much to talk about on this subject that this may be the first of many episodes to cover this topic. We talk a little about what Stalking is, some facts and myths, different types of stalkers, and a few tips on dealing (or better said, NOT dealing) with Stalkers. I'm sure we will provide much more information that you can apply for your protection in the future. So keep listening you freaks :-) SelfDefense@mac.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520 http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

How do you know if your kids are really safe? In this episode of the Self-Defense Show, Christie and Charles go over the Test of 12 from, you guessed it, Gavin de Becker's book Protecting the Gift. This is 12 things you can make sure you child knows how to do in order to protect themselves. We also talk about the flawed approach of teaching kids Don't Talk To Strangers, and why children should refer to their body parts with the real names, and not cute nick names. http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com SelfDefense@mac.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

Episode 028 is out everyone. http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Ok, now down to the nitty gritty. We finally talk about physical techniques! That's right, physical movements you can do when confronted by criminal violence. Well, don't get too excited because there isn't a side kick in sight. These are Non-Combative Physical Techniques. Meaning, they aren't what you would normally think about when you talk about self-defense techniques. They are VERY important however, and in many ways are more important to know about then punches, kicks, and tackles. Before we get into all that lovely stuff however, we go over VITAL Self-Defense's acronym tactic of REACT. The 5 factors that influence how you respond to a threat stimulus. This is a pretty meaty show for you all. I hope you enjoy. Coming up, we will do a special show on school violence and school shootings. So stay subscribed for that timely and topical episode. Please, don't be a stranger... SelfDefense@mac.com www.SelfDefenseShow.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

Episode 029 is out guys... and it's VERY topical!!! www.SelfDefenseShow.com

News of the recent school shootings have inspired us to record this episode about school violence. This will be the first in a several part series on school violence. Specifically in this episode, we read some comments that people have left on the MSNBC website, and interject our opinions and vantage points about what they are saying. It's all about getting educated on the subject, removing all unnecessary hype and sensationalism, and clearing your radar screen to be ready to detect the seriously imminent dangers that enter your scanning area. We would love to hear you take on what we say. Email: SelfDefense@mac.com Visit: www.SelfDefenseShow.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

Episode 030 is out, so go get you some! www.SelfDefenseShow.com

In this follow up to last episode's topic of school violence / shootings, Christie and Charles go over the top 10 myths / findings about school violence. They talk about each myth / finding and how it applies to today's news. Unless you are educated about the aspects of real violence, you will have no real solutions or responses when you most desperately need them. We will probably come back to this topic in the future. Please make your voice be heard. Email: SelfDefense@mac.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520 Website: www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Episode 031... are you still caught up??? Better get to listening, cause we aren't slowing down :-) www.SelfDefenseShow.com

We finally get to the issue of Domestic Violence and Intimate Abuse in episode 030! We go over the basics of what DV is, and the common forms of violence that DV and manifest itself into. It's NOT all about punching a woman either... DV can take many forms, all of which can be detected ahead of time. We will discuss this issue in greater depth in the next episode as well. Also, be sure to stick around until the very last note of the outro music... you'll see :-) Don't forgot to search for our show in the iTunes Store, Podcast section... give us a review! Let your opinions be heard... SelfDefense@mac.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520 Website: http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT EVERYONE

The Self-Defense Show is going to switch to a KARATE ONLY format!!!

Just joking :-) Actually, I wanted to let you guys know that we now have our own forum / message board.... read below for more info:

That’s right, good old Charles has finally figured out how to setup a message board / forum. I just set it up today, so it’s still needs you guys to go over there and plant seeds.

www.DefenseChat.com

This is the official forums for the Self-Defense Show. Plus, other people can come there and chat too if they want. I would expect that most people who sign up there will be dedicated listeners to this podcast however.

Pretty cool domain name eh? I’m surprised it wasn’t already taken. If any of you cats out there know a lot about running a message board, maybe I could ask you some questions.

The first 100 members to the message board will gain access to a special “VIP” show that will be released in the future... that’s right, only the first 100 members will be able to hear us blabber on in an exclusive secret mystery episode.

Hurry up and get your account setup over there because the cut-off for being within the first 100 members is Halloween!!! Then, later that night (the 31st of October), we will send you a VIP password to access the special show!

On top of all that, the top 3 members of the forum (most posts by the 31st) will get a extra special gift mailed to them from the Self-Defense Show!

032 is the episode number, and www.SelfDefenseShow.com where it's at!

After the www.DefenseChat.com announcement, episode 032 gets started. Christie and I take turns going over the 16 solid reasons why a woman in an abusive relationship chooses to stay with her abuser... or why it is so complex and difficult to leave him. Since most outside people's advice is "why don't you just leave him", we thought we might answer that question here. Also stick around until the very end because Charles will tell you about the dangers of Art Supplies!

Don't forget, we have a brand new message board / forums for the show. Go to www.DefenseChat.com and register. The first 100 members of the board by Halloween, will have exclusive access to a special VIP episode of the Self-Defense Show. Also, the top 3 members (by number of posts) will get a super secret gift mailed to them :-) Go over there and hang out between shows! www.DefenseChat.com www.SelfDefenseShow.com SelfDefense@mac.com Voicemail: 206-600-5520

We have 2 guests in the "studio" with us on this special episode. SharkSurfer (aka Justin) from the www.DefenseChat.com and Dawn & Drew message boards is here, along with his coworker Rebecca. Together, we run down VITAL Self-Defense's 12 Safety Rules for Kids. We were planning for this episode to be about how domestic violence victims can formulate an escape plan, but we thought since we had guests, we would do a different subject. Look for that topic to be covered next episode. Mailing address: VITAL Self-Defense LLC, PO Box 19694, Baltimore, MD 21225. Voicemail: 206-600-5520. Email: SelfDefense@mac.com Website: www.SelfDefenseShow.com Forums: www.DefenseChat.com