Sign in to follow this  
MitchA

Strange iMac G5 Sleep Behavior

Hello All,

Recently I had my logic board and power supply replaced on my iMac G5 1.6GHZ (for the second time) by the apple genius crew at my local store. This was about a week and a half ago. Things haven't quite been right since I brought it home, adn most recently it has begun putting itselef to sleep at random points, and if I wake it up, it will shortly go back to sleep. This isn't a constant thing, but when it happens, it goes on for quite some time. I thought that it could've been a heat issue since my fans have been louder than usual, so I downloaded a freeware app that monitors processor temp. I do not know how accurate it is, but it is reporting temps in the 85-90 degree C range at the moment, and most of the time in the past few days. I do not know if this is considered high for my model and if this is what is causing the problem. I thought that maybe the tech might have done something when installing the new hardware that is causing this problem. I am not much of a hardware guy, so I'd appreciate any ideas that anyone might have!

It certainly could be the tech if those temperatures are accurate. It would explain a lot. It could be that he forgot to grease your CPU when he replaced the board, or perhaps over greased it. That would account for the heat and thus sleeping that you are seeing. It could also be a dodgy logic board or power supply; but that should be easy enough to diagnose.

I assume it takes a while to start happening after it's been off/asleep all night or similar yes?

I normally leave it running at night. It happens at random times, and has only been happening in isolated situations. I doubt that they would be able to reproduce the problem at the store. The fans running somewhat loudly is an ongoing thing though. The only other thing that I have done to this computer, after the replacement, was a sleep light firmware update. Could that have caused this? Is there a way to undo that?

I highly doubt it, but it's possible the update has triggered this. Removing it could be a real pain without an official backtrack update from Apple.

I suggest taking it in again, or calling them and explaining the situation. It's possible this is a known issue which I havn't seen yet.

That said there are a few threads over at Discussions which look like ]this one, so prefs could be the answer...

Okay, I just didn't want to take it in unless I had to. Something makes me think that it may have to do with the service.

It could very well be an issue with the logic board or power supply, but the best way to test is to swap them out and leave them on test for 24 hours.

As I said (edited, but said eventually), check your prefs as suggested at the above link, just to make sure.

Alright. Thanks Matt. Hopefully they'll do something for free when I take it in.

As an update, I took it in to the Apple store, and they took it in for work. Looks like they are replacing the logic board yet again, for the third time.

Logic boards in Macs are the most commonly replacecd item. This is because everything is connected to them, or is a physical part of them. The likelyhood of something going wrong with them is much higher than with any other part. They are also incredibly fragile and delicate.

It does sound like you have had an unlucky streak with them, but stick in there, I'm sure all will be well this time (although I would personally want to keep it on test for 3-7 days to make sure after the bad luck you have had).

Yeah, this problem just appeared on my iMac G55 recently. It does the tornado niose sometimes when you put it to sleep

That's it. Everyone in the workshop will forever remark on it as the tornado from now on!

Get Apple to check your logic board, it's worth doing if it's in warranty.

Dear Matt

Bizarrely enough my iMac G5 (same vintage) has been shutting itself down completely at least 3 times in the last 36 hours.

Is this the same issue or is it some sort of self-defense mechanism to guard the electronics against overheating. I normally keep it running all the time although the Energy Saver is set aggressively to go to sleep when unused after roughly 15 minutes.

I dimly remember something on an old MacCast about this topic.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks

STUART

Stuart

This could be an overheating issue, although it's hard to know without checking the temperatures properly. It could also be logic board or power supply failures which would mean replacing your board. I would suggest calling Apple or your local AASP and booking it in for diagnosis.

Before you do though, here are a couple of things you could try yourself:

Restart holding Command-Option-P-R

Try booting from another Mac or external hard drive if possible

Check your serial number here

Best of luck, let me know how it goes and don't be afraid to PM/e-mail me.