davejacko

Aiport Network Questions

Hi All,

I want to set up a small wireless network in my office for 3 macs alll with airport cards. Do i need a Airport base station/airport express?

We already get our internet wirelessly from another sourse in the office below us so i am wondering if we can contunue to receive the same wirelesss internet while using a airport base station to network our macs or does the internet have to come through the base station?

As you can see i am new to all this wireless network stuff,

Help would be appreciated,

Dave (in Dublin)

You don't have your internet connection coming through the base station in order to use it network computers. However I think for what you are trying to do you would be best served by an Airport Express. I am not sure if you can connect a base station to the other network and even if you could I don't see any reason to use the base station rather than an express.

If your office is rather small and there is one computer switched on all the time, you can use the in-built airport card of that one computer to create a network, then let the other 2 computers join it. Also you can share that one computer's internet (see Sharing in Preferences).

I use this setup at my home after my airport base station when bust, my iMac G5 is connected to the cable modem, it has internet sharing through its inbuilt airport card switched on. My laptops (both macs) are able to pick it up the signal and have a good range (medium sized UK house).

If your office is rather small and there is one computer switched on all the time, you can use the in-built airport card of that one computer to create a network, then let the other 2 computers join it. Also you can share that one computer's internet (see Sharing in Preferences).

I use this setup at my home after my airport base station when bust, my iMac G5 is connected to the cable modem, it has internet sharing through its inbuilt airport card switched on. My laptops (both macs) are able to pick it up the signal and have a good range (medium sized UK house).

You don't need to have an Airport Base Station, I used a PowerMac G4 desktop as my base station for quite some time. That computer had the Ethernet connection to my cable modem, then I used it's built in Airport card to serve the other 2 computers.

I did eventually get a Base Station and I've not been disappointed with it's performance, I even share it with my next door neighbors who occasionally bring their laptops home from work and use it instead of their wired connection.

roog

I can't use one mac as a base station to feed the internet connection, we have wireless internet already coming in to the office via another wireless router (non apple) from downstairs. What we want to do is connect to each other wirelessly so the internet and network would be 2 seperate wireless signals comoing into each mac. Can this be done?

Just got a Mac Pro - wow!

I can't use one mac as a base station to feed the internet connection, we have wireless internet already coming in to the office via another wireless router (non apple) from downstairs. What we want to do is connect to each other wirelessly so the internet and network would be 2 seperate wireless signals comoing into each mac. Can this be done?

Just got a Mac Pro - wow!

You should be able to do that. Just don't have the express connect to the other network. Thing is I don't really understand why. You already have a network if you are all able to connect to the internet. Just set up some network shares on your upstairs computers and start connecting to peoples computers. I am pretty sure that you can set up security if you want then only the people from upstairs would be able to connect to the upstairs computers.