Sign in to follow this  
windowsguy

iTunes 4.9 Bad Sound

On windows when I play music sometimes I get really bad sound. Like little popping sounds, and also like when you blast out really small speakers with huge bass... that's what it sounds like. If I pause and the play again it fixes it for a little while. Anyone know why?

I'm not exactly sure what's causing this, but it isn't iTunes.

Have you tried different speakers? Are you running Windows (as your name suggests)?

My first suggestion is to try different speakers (or headphones) to make sure the problem isn't with that.

Then I would try updating the sound card drivers. You can try Windows Update, but to be absolutely sure you have the latest drivers you need to check the manufacturer's website.

If the problem persists, try playing audio from another application such as WinAmp or Windows Media Player. The software should have nothing to do with this though. If you really think the problem is with iTunes, you can always try reinstalling it, or installing a previous version.

Post back to give up more information though, we should be able to help you further.

After you have done everything that adamf suggests and if you still have problems with it, I would suggest to get a Mac. :D

windows media player works, as well as my screen reader, but I think I'll try reinstalling because I'd hate to give up the podcast feature... and if I had the money I'd gladly get a Mac but I've invested in Windows and hardware for it (some that I wouldn't even need on a mac, but it used up money) so I'm hoping someday I'll be able to get one. For now, I'll try reinstalling and tell you how it does.

I would still try to update the sound card's drivers if you haven't already.

What are you using for a sound card on your Windows box?

I'm not actually sure. I just got this laptop last February, it's a Toshiba.

I would still try to update the sound card's drivers if you haven't already.

Yea I'll check the Toshiba website. I'd like to see if I could. Of course, I also have been needing to check if there's a way to get a good battery gauge instead of a percentage when you mouse over a little icon. Toshiba turned off Windows Power Management...

Well, the problem seems to have fixed itself. I looked at the Toshiba site, and I didn't find any updates for my computer. But the sound is fine again! Weird... one of those little bugs I guess. That happens a lot in Windows if you ask me.

I had the problem again, only much worse and I couldn't stop it. I then closed The Sims and the problem was gone... so keep that in mind. Some applications can do weird things.

Also, Timershot (Win XP Powertoy) prevented my computer from hibernating or sleeping...