Sign in to follow this  
gekko

Microsoft Visual Basic -> Mac App

A friend and I are working on a joint database and visual basic program that will store, sort and spit out hockey stats. The VB program will have two parts: the first will allow you to enter game data (home team, visiting team, final score, game ended in regulation, OT or shootout) and will total those stats as more games are entered. It will store these totals for each team against each team (i.e. Toronto will have a record for each other team in the league). The second part of the program will allow searches or retrieval of this data. So it will allow you to find the teams with the best home record, or away record, or most road wins in OT, etc. Anyways, the specifics aren't what this post is about.

I have both a mac and a pc, and access to filemaker pro (mac) and microsoft access (pc). My friend is PC only and will be doing virtually all the programing on his PC, while I will be doing most of the database work (I can use either access or filemaker pro, though I prefer to work on the mac).

Is there a relatively painless way to 'port' a visual basic program to a mac compatible format? Once the program is written, I'd much prefer to run it natively on my mac. Will that be doable without entirely re-writting the program or can it be mostly "copied" or something?

Thanks for the help. If you need more information just let me know.

gekko

You're probably looking at a re-write, if you want to get the code to run on a Mac.

Personally, I'd suggest looking at multi-platform development tools e.g. Java with the Eclipse IDE as the programming language and MySQL for the database (the good news is it's all free).

Ok, you probably don't have skills in these areas, but if you have programming or DB experience using different tools, you shouldn't have too much difficulty migrating over.