Sign in to follow this  
centro

iTV Product Announcement

who cares ITV is crap anyway (the TV station that is) One question apple, What took you so long?

jack

I wonder what iTV (or whatever it's gonna be called (iBox?)) will be able to do, actually. Will it be able to stream all kinds of media that I have in an iTunes library on a networked computer? Or - better still - will it be able to play DVDs on the fly from a networked computer?

Great Apple and another lawsuit on the way.

iTV is just a working name. That was mentioned today. They are probably going through all the legal ramifications and stuff now. I suspect the name will be changed before it comes out.

Apple's iTV "sneak-peek" seems to be a rather timid home-theater strategy on Apple's part (assuming it's not a feint.) Apple seems to be saying: The computer stays in the den, not the living room. All you want in your 'home theater" is a screen, speakers, and a remote control. We'll put the computer, storage, network connection, keyboard, mouse, (monitor) and other gunk someplace else.

Apple could have gone with a Mac mini-esque appliance-style set-top box that could play DVDs, iTunes videos and music and pictures, with only a TV for a display and a remote for input, and replace an existing DVD player and TiVo, a la MS Media Center PCs.

Instead, they seem to be positioning the Mac to be just another TV/Amp input alongside the DVD player, Tivo, VCR, cable box, and CD player. Presumably Apple considers the computer "issues" of storage, backup, network config, and on-line video shopping at iTunes as too intensive an experience (and needing a keyboard) to be performed on a TV screen from the sofa with a remote. And as a bonus, you can run the iTunes and iTV with Windows, too; so you don't need to go Mac to use Apple as part of your home theater experience.

Edited by car1son

I imagine the strategy is that the iTV will provide a simple front end to accessing your elsewhere-stored media, while users who want more will (and already do) put a Mac mini under the TV with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

(sorry, wrong thead)

Edited by car1son

I imagine the strategy is that the iTV will provide a simple front end to accessing your elsewhere-stored media, while users who want more will (and already do) put a Mac mini under the TV with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Perhaps a new updated 'Leopard' Front Row wil look much more like the iTV interface.

I agree with the comments that the iTV seems a little 'timid' with no PVR functions. But the iTV is not going to be 'the only box you will ever need under your TV'. It is going to be a small good looking 'extra' box that you can show family pictures, videos and play music through. I would consider that worth the asking price.

It is not expected to take the place of your cable box, DVD player or HD player. It is just to 'free up' your digital media and hopefully provide a pretty interface for it all.

That led me to thinking- will you be able to purchase iTunes store products through it? It would be a shame if it didn't!

I don't think a PVR is really necessary. Pulling linear broadcasts off the air or a cable line is a technology that will be on its way out before long. Apple is looking forward, where all your connectivity and media (music, movies, TV, phone, everything) will come over broadband. I think this is accurate. If I didn't have roommates who weren't as tech savvy, I wouldn't bother having cable at this point. Of course, Apple would love if you bought everything from iTunes. I think prices need to go down and quality needs to go up before I go that route though. That, or some kind of flat rate subscription that lets me get a lot of content for a price comparable to cable TV service. I'd also need access to the Japanese iTunes Store, but that's a whole other issue...

I think the iTV (working name) is just what a lot of people expected.

We all thought that an updated device was coming to give us video streaming and the iTV is just that.

I also think that you will find a lot of people asking why they did not include an HDMi socket on an updated MacMini and include PVR functionality.

The answer is that this would have a negative effect on their sales figures on the iTunes Store.

My guess is we will never see PVR functionality from Apple.