jackt

iTunes 7

I have just finished updating to iTunes 7. It looks abit more like a pro app than it did before, the UI is more refined and it just runs and feels much better and video support seems to be far far above that of iTunes 6 only time will tell.

jack

I subscribe to that. I love how gapless playback works now! iTunes actually recognized those songs that were previously gapless on CD.

My first impressions are very positive so far. However I do have on annoyance allready. In the view with all the album art that you can shuffel through, I have Some CD's with multiple artists, and each artist on that album shows the same album art image. It is very annoying already when I am flipping through the album art to see a string of 15 covers with the same image because it's a compilation CD with 15 different artists.

Overall I would give it an 7.5/10

I really like the "jukebox" and the overall interface, my only annoyance is the multiple images repeated

iTunes 7 now available via the Software Updates option under MAC OSX for the UK. (21:30 BST).

iTunes is nicely enhanced with integrating the ipod control and update functions into the software. I like the interface, it just seems cleaner. I really like the seemless playback as well. I'm still playing with it. There is a lot of eye candy, some useful, and some not, but overall I think it's a great release.

It has this DISGUSTING icon. I miss the green one! :(

Enough ranting.

I'll get the old icon from my Mac mini.

It's currently Determining Gapless Play information which makes the response very slow.

I disabled the automatic download of album art, as I think this could slow it down even further (I only have iBook G4 running Panther).

The look is different and some of the eye candy like the album art view is nice but when playing tunes in the background is it really that useful?

Podcast update button seems to of disappeared (hmmm useful not).

I like the summary page for the iPod though.

So when does everyone think version 7.1 will be available to fix some speed issues...

:)

Podcast Update is gone but replaced with Refresh button at the bottom of the window.

Just like my wife, moving things to keep the place tidy....

:)

I don't like the fact that video podcasts don't show up in the video section anymore. Now it's strictly TV shows. Wish they had a Podcast and Video Podcast section so I can quickly find them.

I also wish they had a movie rental option. There are many movies that I would like to watch, but have no desire to own or keep.

So...when is it gonna update the album art that I don't have? I set it to...

My first impressions are very positive so far. However I do have on annoyance allready. In the view with all the album art that you can shuffel through, I have Some CD's with multiple artists, and each artist on that album shows the same album art image. It is very annoying already when I am flipping through the album art to see a string of 15 covers with the same image because it's a compilation CD with 15 different artists.

Overall I would give it an 7.5/10

I really like the "jukebox" and the overall interface, my only annoyance is the multiple images repeated

If you click the Album column title multiple times, you can sort by artist after sorting by album. This was annoying me too since I have many Albums with the title "Greatest Hits". Hope this is what you were talking about!!

It has this DISGUSTING icon. I miss the green one! :(

Enough ranting.

I'll get the old icon from my Mac mini.

The original one was Blue. I like it cause I'm old and like things the way they used to be back in the day. Horray for prohibition and spats!

Have you plugged in your iPod yet? The new iPod screen is so nice. I love the section that tells you how much space is taken up by the various things you can keep on there. And moving iPod Updater into iTunes makes much more sense than having seperate apps in the Utilities folder.

Podcast update button seems to of disappeared (hmmm useful not).

Its been renamed to the Refresh button, near the bottom right corner

The original one was Blue. I like it cause I'm old and like things the way they used to be back in the day. Horray for prohibition and spats!

Well bless my stars, I thought it looked strangely familiar. Now I remember.. it was Blue. Good golly ;)

Anyone else seen a problem with playing videos fullscreen? I've only tested on my Macbook and when I play videos fullscreen the video has a blue tint to it.

If I play the video in a seperate window the colors are fine. It only happens on full screen.

Has anyone refreshed their podcasts and with some downloading clicked on the new "Downloads" entry that appears under the STORE category on the left?

i miss the buttons on the bottom right.. like the equalizer button and.. what else was there? i dont know.. anyway, i like the new itunes for the most part so far.. and i'm thinking this album view thing was.. *borrowed* from some 3rd party software.. although, i do believe this is better.. because of perfect integration with itunes.. it is itunes, haha. but its fun to play with. drag the album cover somewhere, and it copies the songs, use a scroll wheel on a mouse, and it scrolls through albums. weeeee. this is fun.

So it seems that people like the way it looks, like the gapless playback and all. I'm sure those are very nice things - especially for people looking for more and more features to be folded into iTunes (well, gapless should have been in there a while ago).

I'm feeling a bit screwed at the moment.

Up until today we had a nice system going. Though it was based on admittedly old hardware it worked very well for our family. On a 400 MHz G3 iMac we have been running Panther (scoff if you like, it has run very reliably) with iTunes 4.9. Why 4.9? Two reasons: jhymn and why bother with video on this platform?

Today my son came back from band practice jazzed up to buy some music, only to find iTMS refusing to sell it to him until we upgrade to iTunes 7. iTMS has never required us to do an upgrade of iTunes before.

The minimum system requirements for iTunes 7 state 500 MHz G3. So - it seems that in order to be able to spend the money we have in our iTMS accounts I not only have to perform a software upgrade I don't care to do (well, at least that's "free"), but I need to upgrade the hardware as well?!

find another system. buy the music there. transfer it to your computer. fin.

So...when is it gonna update the album art that I don't have? I set it to...

I had to do this manually even though I had the "automatically" option selected.

I selected all of the music in my library and selected "get album art" from the Advanced menu. It worked pretty quickly.

I think the automatic option comes in when you are ripping new music from cds.

-Rob

So when iTunes determines the gapless playback information (which takes FOREVER), is it actually making any alterations to the files, or is it storing all of this information in some .xml file somewhere?

Overall I really impressed with the new release.

Adding gapless playback and dividing the Library up properly, so you don't get Podcasts appearing with music were the two things that I wanted included and they are there! Downloads seem to be better handled, with a new section and I don't remember the pause button before.

The new views are very nifty, although I noticed that Apple seemed to have stolen one of the views from Coverflow, but when I checked the web site, apparently Apple have bought them out (nice one).

The search box seems to have reverted to the pull down options of earlier versions, which I prefer.

Traditionally the iTunes interface is often the first one to get a facelift when Apple change their design, so I wonder if the new look is a sneak peak at Leopard.

Good to see that the iTunes team, didn't rest on their laurels and have been checking to see what users want.

In the view with all the album art that you can shuffel through, I have Some CD's with multiple artists, and each artist on that album shows the same album art image. It is very annoying already when I am flipping through the album art to see a string of 15 covers with the same image because it's a compilation CD with 15 different artists.

With compilation albums I normally append the song title with the artist name and then set the artist name to "Various Artists". That approach gets around the problem you're experiencing. It also reduces the number of Artists that display on the iPod, which is the main reason I use it.

To do the appending there's a handy set of Doug's scripts called "This Tag, That Tag", use the one called "Put This After That"

So far, I'm really liking the new iTunes. I find the "ipod view" to not be particularly necessary, yet for some strange reason, I really like it!

Sadly, since updating, I've noticed my ipod has been buggy. I don't know if this is caused by either the new itunes, or the new ipod updater, but several times last night the ipod screen went "fuzzy" and then all buttons ceased to function.

A simple reset always fixes the problem, but as you can imagine it's annoying as all heck. I'll work on a permanent fix later today. A full restore may be in order, but I'll have to set aside a few hours for that...

I love it. It really annoyed me that I couldn't see exactly where my podcast downloads were at, but now it gives me time and amount done.

And the best news EVER...ipod games! Awesome. I'm already addicted to solitaire. Except that I can't access the music store to buy them from NZ :(