jackt

iTunes 7

It's pretty cool, the new look. Nevertheless, I already found something what I think is a bug.

When you convert an AAC podcast into a MP3 one, it is placed into the music folder, outside the podcast folder, with the podcast artist as its artist name. Because there is no more shared library library (as in iTunes 6), the converted podcast appears to be lost. I had to manually find the file with Finder to be able to transfer it to my iRiver MP3 player. Even when I transfered the MP3 file to the same folder as the AAC file using Finder, it didn't show up. The only way to add the converted file to the iTunes podcast library is to open the converted file manually with iTunes. It then shows up in the podcast listing and is placed in the same folder as the original file.

IMHO the converted file should be placed next to the original podcast file and added to the podcast listing automatically.

BTW The same bug applies when you want to downgrade a MP3 file for smaller file size.

i like itunes 7, however i'm real mad about a few things.

1.) just last week i manually downloaded and applied over 200 album covers.

2.) i imported a new cd, mates of state - team boo, the album art is just white? i'd rather have the blank music icon, i can't fix it. -- the itunes music store has team boo, why can't it import the art?

also, cover flow isn't something new, it's been around for awhile -- and this is just one more thing that another developer had, and now mac owns.

thankfully this time apple bought cover flow from the developer, so he got his share of the cookies.

Anybody notice that there is a new tag in view options called "album artist". At least I think it's new. What do you think its intended use is. I have a large classical music collection, so I'm always happy to see new tags to plug more info into. I'm just trying to figure out how to add "Album Artist" to my tagging system. Any ideas?

Have you plugged in your iPod yet? The new iPod screen is so nice. I love the section that tells you how much space is taken up by the various things you can keep on there. And moving iPod Updater into iTunes makes much more sense than having seperate apps in the Utilities folder.

i'm afraid too plug my ipod in, i just know that it will say something like "sorry, you need to upgrade to a 5g ipod to do anything cool with itunes"

I had to do this manually even though I had the "automatically" option selected.

I selected all of the music in my library and selected "get album art" from the Advanced menu. It worked pretty quickly.

I think the automatic option comes in when you are ripping new music from cds.

-Rob

How come when i do this it warns me that the infromation will be sent to apple?

and i'm bothered that now i can't search everything in my library, i have to search only music or only videos and its now like the graphite theme is OS X.

I think they should let us not only make folders for playlists but for the library section so we could add Video podcasts, or Music Videos

Edited by Macman5123

now i'm really mad..

why do i have an album cover for The Alkaline trio, and The Mars Volta?

then right next to them have a Cover for Alkaline Trio, The and Mars Volta, The???

when i click on "The Alkaline Trio" it takes me to the songs tagged "Alkaline Trio, The"

i get burned for being organized?

seriously, give me my old iTunes + Cover Flow back, i don't mind running 2 seperate apps, at least it was organized.

Cover flow used to go solely on the album name, as someone else mentioned above, for compilations you have 20 of the same cover your scrolling through, i really hope there is a fix for this real soon,

-danN

Cover flow used to go solely on the album name, as someone else mentioned above, for compilations you have 20 of the same cover your scrolling through, i really hope there is a fix for this real soon,

-danN

Yep, I'm having all kinds of problems with covers. I was about to start hacking my compilations by tagging them different and disabling "group compilations when browsing" in prefs, but I think I'll wait to see if this gets fixed. No big deal because I don't care for the "Cover Flow" view anyway.

iTunes isn't doing a great job finding album covers. Is there a way to have it find a certain album cover instead of scanning the whole Library?

Yep, I'm having all kinds of problems with covers. I was about to start hacking my compilations by tagging them different and disabling "group compilations when browsing" in prefs, but I think I'll wait to see if this gets fixed. No big deal because I don't care for the "Cover Flow" view anyway.

iTunes isn't doing a great job finding album covers. Is there a way to have it find a certain album cover instead of scanning the whole Library?

right click, select 'find album art'

your results may vary...

find another system. buy the music there. transfer it to your computer. fin.

Well, compared to our previous experience (buying music when inspired - without even leaving the house[!]), going begging for a computer somewhere, transferring (dealing with drm issues)... I dunno - just seems to take some of the joy out of the buying experience.

But yes, technically I suppose that's one way we could spend the money currently in those iTMS accounts.

How come when i do this it warns me that the infromation will be sent to apple?

In order to obtain the album art for your iTunes Libarary from the iTMS, iTunes needs to ask for the artwork for each album. E.g., "Please send me the album cover art for 'Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, Vol 1.' and 'Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, Vol 2.'. It's inherent in the process that it tells Apple which albums you have in your iTunes library because it's asking for the artwork for those albums. (Likewise, when you ask iTunes to fetch the track information for a CD you insert, you are naturally telling the CD database what CD you have.)

If Apple didn't warn you, there'd be a furor over iTunes "phoning home" without user permission and revealing your music collection (like there was when they intruduced the automatic recommedation window based on the currently playing track back in iTunes 6.)

The iTunes advisory also states Apple is not keeping that information (which is interesting - I thought they might use it to help refine my iTMS recommedations. Google would.)

The minimum system requirements for iTunes 7 state 500 MHz G3. So - it seems that in order to be able to spend the money we have in our iTMS accounts I not only have to perform a software upgrade I don't care to do (well, at least that's "free"), but I need to upgrade the hardware as well?!

There's a post on the MacWorld forum from a guy with a 400MHz G3 who says iTunes 7 runs fine for him. I'd be suspicious of its ability to play iTMS-purchased video files, though.

Well, compared to our previous experience (buying music when inspired - without even leaving the house[!]), going begging for a computer somewhere, transferring (dealing with drm issues)... I dunno - just seems to take some of the joy out of the buying experience.

But yes, technically I suppose that's one way we could spend the money currently in those iTMS accounts.

you make a good point when you say you like the convenience of buying music [now]. to make one more point, the drm is no problem. you just log in to your itunes account on another computer, download like normal, and you can transfer songs just like any other file. (in an email perhaps?) then it will play on any computer thats authorized for that account.

i know that doesnt sound very realistic.. and i know you (were) satisfied with your somewhat old computer, with what you wanted to do. but it might be time to think about an upgrade anyway. maybe not just for the itunes. but i dont know, i guess i see your point, its ridiculous for apple to not support your computer with new software (especially itunes!), but they have to move on some time i suppose.

I think the 'Album Artist' tag is to help with albums being split up in Cover Flow view. That is, if you have an album where some tracks have other artists singing along with the artist whose album it is, tracks will show up separately in Cover Flow view.

The way I think I have sorted this out is to first classify those albums as Compilations, and then to put the album's main artist as the Album Artist tag. This means that the album shows up as one in the Cover Flow view, and instead of saying 'Various Artists', it's listed as the artist you put in Album Artist.

A bit long-winded, maybe, and it will probably take a bit of a while for someone with a large music collection.

In all, iTunes 7 seems like a good release, though at times a bit sluggish. I think it's also eating RAM like there's no tomorrow, so hopefully that will be addressed in some future update.

The interface seems to have undergone a bit of an overhaul too, with the seeming loss of the aqua-style scroll bars and buttons etc. I wonder if this is the shape of the UI to come in Leopard?

Yours,

W.

I don't like the fact that video podcasts don't show up in the video section anymore. Now it's strictly TV shows. Wish they had a Podcast and Video Podcast section so I can quickly find them.

I made my own "Videos" Smart Playlist ( if ANY: Kind contains MPEG-4, Kind contains Quicktime ) that seems to catch all of mine.

The "PodCatcher" part if iTunes 7 seems to be much improved. It uses a lot less CPU (iTunes 6 used to try to take over my machine when it updated/refreshed all my podcast subscriptions, which usually made video playback choppy while it was updating.) Also, it doesn't seem to flash every podcast in the top window, so I can still see the progress bar / title of what I'm watching or listening to.

Edit - Oops, took me awhile to find the new Download list on the left. Cool.

Edited by car1son

First, the fix for albums by multiple artists sorting as 15 different artists is to simply mark them all as a compilation in the Get Info window. That's it, no other information needed. That check box has been there for a while, and since I'd been using it all of my myriad anime soundtracks are sorting just fine in Cover Flow and Album views.

I really like the changes to the interface in 7. Before it felt like the videos and podcasts were tacked onto iTunes' primary function as a music player/organizer. Now it seamlessly handles itself as a multimedia organizer. A couple things that really struck me:

1. Gapless playback, this has been discussed. A godsend on live albums.

2. The sources list is much more organized and easy to use, making the clumsy Search Bar a thing of the past.

3. TV Shows you encoded yourself can now be set as such and will obey that setting on your iPod. Also check out the Get Info for them, there's new TV-specific tagging.

4. The new views aren't terribly functional, but they add a level of class and fun to iTunes that's nice to have.

5. Integrating the iPod's management into iTunes itself is long overdue and I've often wondered why it wasn't done this way. The interface to it is fantastic, I love the disk space graph.

6. Convert to iPod is now available through iTunes via Ctrl-click. I wonder if this can be done without QT Pro? This function in iTunes and QT Pro now encodes at 640x480!

Overall, I think this is what iTunes 6 should have been a year ago. A great upgrade that takes the clumsiness out of iTunes' handling of video.

i love it i think they've done someting right with the album art view they've finally caugth up to windows media player for the overall look.

When I tested Gapless Playback, I went straight to the same example Steve Jobs used in his presentation - the transition from the 3rd to 4th movement to Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

The Gapless worked great!

But them something strange hapened...

About 5 seconds into the 4th movement, the volume jumped!

Every time.

I had all the tracks set to the Classical equalizer. On a hunch, I change the EQ to None, and the volume jump disappeared.

As a guess, I'd say the Equalizer doesn't play nice with Gapless.

i love it i think they've done someting right with the album art view they've finally caugth up to windows media player for the overall look.

No, the Gran'daddy of album art was Musicmatch, back in 2001. The Windows Player copied that. For a long time iTunes took a very vanilla approach to album art, equally it to piracy, if you didn't buy the original content from iTunes, you didn't have any access to the album art.

About time it changed.

So it seems that people like the way it looks, like the gapless playback and all. I'm sure those are very nice things - especially for people looking for more and more features to be folded into iTunes (well, gapless should have been in there a while ago).

I'm feeling a bit screwed at the moment.

Up until today we had a nice system going. Though it was based on admittedly old hardware it worked very well for our family. On a 400 MHz G3 iMac we have been running Panther (scoff if you like, it has run very reliably) with iTunes 4.9. Why 4.9? Two reasons: jhymn and why bother with video on this platform?

Today my son came back from band practice jazzed up to buy some music, only to find iTMS refusing to sell it to him until we upgrade to iTunes 7. iTMS has never required us to do an upgrade of iTunes before.

The minimum system requirements for iTunes 7 state 500 MHz G3. So - it seems that in order to be able to spend the money we have in our iTMS accounts I not only have to perform a software upgrade I don't care to do (well, at least that's "free"), but I need to upgrade the hardware as well?!

here is my plan for you. download 7.0 from the apple website. easy enough. now, i hope you have Pacifist to install. Pacifist helps get around the installation limitations, and normally it works fine. with a free app like itunes, i would do this carefree. make sure you keep a backup of 4.9 just incase you want to resort back. it will work probably, i just installed the new Front Row update on my iBook no problem...

I think iT7 is a downgrade. For starters, the "Videos" view is gone (music videos), the equalizer button is missing from the lower right corner of iTunes and now I went to rip a cd I just purchased and the Import button is gone. Plus, to add insult to injury, I think the new "look" is more Windows than ever. What happened? Did they take the worst of the Aperture team and move them over to iTunes?

Jim

I think iT7 is a downgrade. For starters, the "Videos" view is gone (music videos), the equalizer button is missing from the lower right corner of iTunes and now I went to rip a cd I just purchased and the Import button is gone. Plus, to add insult to injury, I think the new "look" is more Windows than ever. What happened? Did they take the worst of the Aperture team and move them over to iTunes?

Jim

the interface is complete crap. i agree on that. but under the hood, the programming is MUCH cleaner, you will find that it will take up a LOT less processor to do anything, and the new features are pretty cool. that equalizer button was great....andhow the hell to import then? did you check lower right?

I tried it out gapless playback with Dark Side of The Moon, 'Speak>Breath>On the Run,' and even after enabling gapless playback for the album, it still has a slight hiccup in the transition. Not much better than without gapless playback. Anyone else having this issue?

also, cover flow isn't something new, it's been around for awhile -- and this is just one more thing that another developer had, and now mac owns.

I scanned the thread and someone may have mentioned it already, but Apple bought this from the developer this time. I guess maybe all of us calling Apple out on their prior bad deeds may have made a difference.

YAY! apple finally learned stealing is NOT COOL! i just wish micro$ux would learn it too...all the good OS X ideas are gone now...

Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but I was listening to NRK News podcast, and also eMacCast, and I cannot find the podcast chapter button. Where did it go?