jackt

iTunes 7

I tried it out gapless playback with Dark Side of The Moon, 'Speak>Breath>On the Run,' and even after enabling gapless playback for the album, it still has a slight hiccup in the transition. Not much better than without gapless playback. Anyone else having this issue?

Dark Side of the Moon works perfectly or me.

Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but I was listening to NRK News podcast, and also eMacCast, and I cannot find the podcast chapter button. Where did it go?

I had the same problem...

It's now on the Menu Bar, named "Chapters", right next to "Help", and only appears when you play an enhanced file (which is how I finally spotted it - when the track changed I noticed unexpected movement on the top of the screen.)

the interface is complete crap. i agree on that. but under the hood, the programming is MUCH cleaner, you will find that it will take up a LOT less processor to do anything, and the new features are pretty cool. that equalizer button was great....andhow the hell to import then? did you check lower right?

Cmd "O" or File-Add to Library.

Apple's removing the import button is truly a step backwards. Do you think this might be a feeble attempt at discouraging the purchase of actual cd's instead of purchasing everything from the iTMS? (Let's make it a little less easy if someone still wants to BUY cd's instead of 1' and 0's). I just think this version of iTunes looks and acts more like a Microsoft app than anything Apple has done in recent history, and I for one don't like it.

Jim

Cmd "O" or File-Add to Library.

Apple's removing the import button is truly a step backwards. Do you think this might be a feeble attempt at discouraging the purchase of actual cd's instead of purchasing everything from the iTMS? (Let's make it a little less easy if someone still wants to BUY cd's instead of 1' and 0's). I just think this version of iTunes looks and acts more like a Microsoft app than anything Apple has done in recent history, and I for one don't like it.

Jim

Ahhh... silly me.... the inconspicious gray button down there at the bottom when you click to view disc you've just inserted....geezzz....

The new views are very nifty, although I noticed that Apple seemed to have stolen one of the views from Coverflow, but when I checked the web site, apparently Apple have bought them out (nice one).

I have not completely read the thread, but I am sure you now by now that Apple purchased the assets of CoverFlow from Steel Skins. :)

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

Yuck they've made itunes ugly. Too many severe dark colors. Terrible color for a scroll bar bring back aqua scroll bar! And the blue icons on the side bar just don't jive with the dark colors on the rest of the interface at all. Insanely dark color around the podcast refresh button. Does every Ui element have to dark colors or shades of grey, what is this nextstep? ;) I was very happy with the look of itunes 6.

At least the UI has been greatly improved. It's slightly easier to use. However, one annoyance is the browser doesn't stay open when viewing my ipod which is on disk mode. I have 7500 tracks on it, I need the browser to easily navigate it.

Edited by Morn

I think while the interface is a drastic change the problem is more that we are used to iTunes in-fact its the only program i have open 100% of the time. I think it is evolution; alot of the changes make sense to me, but there are somethings that don't but it isn't going to hard to get used to them.

iTunes 6 was starting to get cluttered but it could do with a bit of a lighten it is slightly dark.

jack

I think it's a pretty good update, overall... Great new features.

But it still has a lot of bugs, and I really hate the fact that Apple dropped the brushed metal sliders. The new UI sucks.

I think Aqua is by far the best UI ever made. Why update something perfect with something ugly just for the sake of change?

I also hate the fact that the new IPod shuffle and IPod nano don't come in white anymore. White was the Apple color in my opinion; it represents all that Apple stands for. Bad decision, imho.

White hasn't really been the Apple color for long. Only since the Dual-USB iBook and G4 iMac. Around that same time they were switching pro lines to metal looks. Before that, it was multicolored translucent plastics, and before that... beige.

I would be sad to see Aqua go. I always found brushed metal hideous, and I hope the iTunes 6 smoother look is rolled into the Finder (if not going back to white Aqua). The new look I think makes sense on an app like iTunes that mimics a physical piece of hardware, but I will be sad to see the Aqua look disappear anywhere else.

Gapless playback is a welcome addition to those live performance CDs that I have, wonderful!

roog

So far, I'm really liking the new iTunes. I find the "ipod view" to not be particularly necessary, yet for some strange reason, I really like it!

Sadly, since updating, I've noticed my ipod has been buggy. I don't know if this is caused by either the new itunes, or the new ipod updater, but several times last night the ipod screen went "fuzzy" and then all buttons ceased to function.

A simple reset always fixes the problem, but as you can imagine it's annoying as all heck. I'll work on a permanent fix later today. A full restore may be in order, but I'll have to set aside a few hours for that...

Just a quick follow-up for those interested:

I've still not been able to fix the problem in the ipod. It still goes fuzzy once in a while, though not as often as when the problem originally showed up.

I'm gonna open up a new thread to see if anybody else is having this problem, but just thought I'd update here since I'd already mentioned it.

Edited by Animal

Well bless my stars, I thought it looked strangely familiar. Now I remember.. it was Blue. Good golly ;)

Yeah, it was blue, and then later it was purple and I think at one point red before they settled on green for a time.

Has anyone refreshed their podcasts and with some downloading clicked on the new "Downloads" entry that appears under the STORE category on the left?

Yeah, the download manager is really useful. Why do you ask?

With compilation albums I normally append the song title with the artist name and then set the artist name to "Various Artists". That approach gets around the problem you're experiencing. It also reduces the number of Artists that display on the iPod, which is the main reason I use it.

To do the appending there's a handy set of Doug's scripts called "This Tag, That Tag", use the one called "Put This After That"

I have not yet dl'ed iTunes 7, but in the standalone version of Coverflow if you marked all the songs as "part of a compilation" in the Get Info dialog the that album's art would only show once.

I really like the new iTunes. However, when I'm playing a movie in full screen and I pause it and then go back to watching it using the play button on my remote the audio starts playing but not the video. If I click on the iTunes play button it goes back to the video. This is really annoying as I have come to rely on my remote even while having my hands on the keyboard, pathetic I know.

Is this a new thing just with iTunes 7 or did it exist before? I only ever worked with my videos in Front Row before because I didn't like the video set up that they had before the new organization.

Has anyone refreshed their podcasts and with some downloading clicked on the new "Downloads" entry that appears under the STORE category on the left?

Yes. Pretty cool. I refreshed my Podcasts and clicked on the new Download checker and it worked great. I have about 25 podcasts I check on but so far only one was downloading each time. Haven't seen a multiple download. Probably will on Friday morning. VG

My first impressions are very positive so far. However I do have on annoyance allready. In the view with all the album art that you can shuffel through, I have Some CD's with multiple artists, and each artist on that album shows the same album art image. It is very annoying already when I am flipping through the album art to see a string of 15 covers with the same image because it's a compilation CD with 15 different artists.

Overall I would give it an 7.5/10

I really like the "jukebox" and the overall interface, my only annoyance is the multiple images repeated

I do lik the Cover Flow Art feature very much but I observed the same thing you did. When Apple does not have the cover art they seem to pick the 1st artist on the album and post the artwork for for every song. And of course all the " Best of ....." compilations show up like this....Best of the 60's, 70's 80s, Rock & Roll, etc. The least they could do is check the artist on the actual song and grab a picture of that artist, even if its the wrong album. They could also add an interactive feature that lets you "go to album art" and select your own from their libary. VG

Anyone notice the Cover Art doesn't show up in Flow mode for Podcasts? VG

Absolute load of rubbish. iTunes has crashed 6 times this morning and I am not happy at all with it.

Not doing anything special just changing from one track to another and *Boom* gone

I suppose there is more work to be done on it......... ;):blink:

It's certainly a little glitchy yet. I had it bomb while it was doing its initial check for gapless songs and I was fooling with coverflow. I went to look at my music videos in the new view and it suddenly quit. It also doesn't seem to want to take new album art by dragging it into the art pane in the corner, which is a pain since this is the only way to set it for multiple tracks at once. I remember iTunes 6 had a couple annoying bugs when it first showed up too, so I think we'll be seeing a 7.1 shortly.

I have not yet dl'ed iTunes 7, but in the standalone version of Coverflow if you marked all the songs as "part of a compilation" in the Get Info dialog the that album's art would only show once.

Yeah, I think you're right. I read somewhere subsequently that you need to mark those albums as "part of a compilation.

Anyone noticed if they right/command click on a Podcast and choose "Update Podcast" nothing seems to happen, the orange ball appears next to the item for a fraction of a second and that seems to be it. Fortunately the Refresh button at the bottom works.

There's so many bugs in this release, I'm starting to wonder if Apple knew about them, but felt pressure to release on the day of the presentation.

Oh well I'm sure an update is imminent.

Anyone noticed if they right/command click on a Podcast and choose "Update Podcast" nothing seems to happen, the orange ball appears next to the item for a fraction of a second and that seems to be it.

That works for me.

I keep several podcasts in "unsubscribed" status so I can manually control when to update them by right-click/Update Podcast. Done it on several podcasts in the last few days (just did it for the dl.tv video feed, and it started DLing the Tuesday show just fine.)

What you described matches my experience when a podcast is already "up to date". In addition to the momentary appearance of the orange ball on the left of the title, the small grey circle with the cancellation "X" inside appears on the right side momentarily as well.

Edited by car1son

That works for me.

I tried it again and it does seem to work. What was confusing me was the symbol disappearing so quickly even though the process was running in the background

It's similar to get album art, which gives no indication that anything is happening, album art appears (or doesn't), with no indication of what's going on. I guess the iTunes team just need to tweak the UI.

It's pretty cool, the new look. Nevertheless, I already found something what I think is a bug.

When you convert an AAC podcast into a MP3 one, it is placed into the music folder, outside the podcast folder, with the podcast artist as its artist name. Because there is no more shared library library (as in iTunes 6), the converted podcast appears to be lost. I had to manually find the file with Finder to be able to transfer it to my iRiver MP3 player. Even when I transfered the MP3 file to the same folder as the AAC file using Finder, it didn't show up. The only way to add the converted file to the iTunes podcast library is to open the converted file manually with iTunes. It then shows up in the podcast listing and is placed in the same folder as the original file.

IMHO the converted file should be placed next to the original podcast file and added to the podcast listing automatically.

BTW The same bug applies when you want to downgrade a MP3 file for smaller file size.

Same thing happens to me when I try to convert an MPEG to AAC. The file doesn't appear anywhere in iTunes but is located in the same folder as the original podcast file.

Personally I figure you should have the option on each podcast to convert it to AAC and also change the default setting like bookmarks. This is what iPodderX does so I won't be switching my podcasts to the iTunes version yet.

When I tested Gapless Playback, ...

something strange hapened...

About 5 seconds into the next track, the volume jumped!

Every time.

I had all the tracks set to the Classical equalizer. On a hunch, I change the EQ to None, and the volume jump disappeared.

As a guess, I'd say the Equalizer doesn't play nice with Gapless.

After further experience, I don't think this is related to the Gapless feature. Seems to happen when changing tracks, gapless or not.

There's something funky in the way the pre-set Equalizer is working when iTunes 7 plays any of my playlists. Each time it moves automatically to the next track, it seems to ignore the EQ setting for the new track. If I double-click the track, it then plays with the proper equalizer. This is most noticable as a change in volume.

well there are alot of things that need to be sorted out, like the vissuliser buttom should still be at the bottom of the window and there should still be a chapter button for Enhanced Podcast's not in the menu bar, the enw iPod oviewview is cool along with the memmory thing, but i think that when Apple release a new version of summit, (iTunes in this case) it should be called somethign like iTunes 7 Beta, so they can get feedback and fix problems, and then release iTunes 7 when all the bugs and problems are fixed, anybody aggree with me?

well there are alot of things that need to be sorted out, like the vissuliser buttom should still be at the bottom of the window and there should still be a chapter button for Enhanced Podcast's not in the menu bar, the enw iPod oviewview is cool along with the memmory thing, but i think that when Apple release a new version of summit, (iTunes in this case) it should be called somethign like iTunes 7 Beta, so they can get feedback and fix problems, and then release iTunes 7 when all the bugs and problems are fixed, anybody aggree with me?

Absolutely. If you look at the posts on the Apple.com support website for iTunes, you will see many, many more complaints and issues associated with using iTunes 7.0.

This particular upgrade is especially buggy -- perhaps, as one poster has said due to the rush job to get it available for Steve's presentation.

My rule of thumb now is to never download any software title with a ".0" version.

I'll wait until there is a .01 or a .1 so that most of the bugs can hopefully be addressed.

So I'm sure that the folks at Apple are now working overtime to release the next iteration.

Look, iTunes, along with the iPod has largely been responsible for turning Apple around. So it is a big investment and money-maker for Jobs and company to get it right.