jackt

iTunes 7

I think I'm having a minor problem - or at least difference - with sync'ing podcasts to my iPod and back to iTunes.

I sync my iPod every morning, listen to podcasts on it during day; nights, I often listen to other podcasts while working around the house.

It used to be iTunes 6 handled the iPod-iTunes sync just right for me: the changes to play count and saved playback position from my iPod merged with the same indicators from iTunes, depending on whichever I had listened to the podcast on (I have a podcast + playcount=0 smart playlist, so I'm sensitive to playcount.) With iTunes 7, it seems playcounts and playback positions of podcasts I've listened to in iTunes are getting reset to whatever they were when the iPod got loaded with them, even if they've been since played on iTunes. So, when I next sync my iPod, some podcasts I'd listen to in iTunes become "playcount=0" again (resurrecting themselves in my smart playlist) and the saved play position of partially played podcasts are getting set back to the beginnning.

It's taken me this long to figure out why I was listening to some podcasts more than once. It ain't just deja vu.

Edited by car1son

And still... I can create playlist folders in iTunes and they are completely ignored on my iPod. Why, why would they do that. Everything else is the same on the iPod and iTunes (as far as the various ways to access your music). Why allow me to organize my playlists in iTunes and not allow me to access that organization on my iPod... grr... :angry:

</rant>

I made some video purchases at the iTunes Store with iTunes 7. I thought I'd share my observations.

I bought the entire 2nd season of Battlestar Galactica and a season pass for Avatar, which is ongoing, approximately 2/3 complete at this time. That's about 15GB of immediate downloading, which was perhaps a little ambitious for a 100KB DSL line. Elapsed download time was about 40 hours over three days. Whew. I used a 1.25GHz G4 eMac.

iTunes 7's Download Manager needs improvement:

I wish the download manager allowed me to control how many concurrent downloads it performs. iTunes decided 3 at a time is the right number. Is that unchangable, or am I just not finding the right preference ?

:( My downloads were interrupted several times for no apparent cause (my internet connection was fine.) The error recovery seems far too fragile to me. Doing something CPU-intensive, downloading something else from my browser, or even letting iTunes check for new podcasts to download, seems to flumox it. (Podcasts go in the same queue as the paid content from the iTunes Store.)

:angry: The worse news is that when that happens, a dialog pops up that requires clicking "OK" - and iTunes doesn't download another show (or re-try the same show) until "OK" gets clicked. Which means when I got up in the morning, I had three "OK"s to click and very little downloading done. The dang things needs to be watched. There needs to be an option for it just to either move on or try again. This is disappointing.

:( Twice iTunes 7 decided it couldn't download anything and needed to be Quit and relaunched to bust things loose.

:) The good news is once you kick iTunes 7 in the butt and it resumes the downloads, it restarts nicely from where it was, not the beginning.

The order of downloads can be controlled by dragging them around in the download list; but, when you Quit and restart iTunes, it re-creates the list in whatever order it feels like (not episode order.) The "Pause all" button is handy.

:) During the download process, a new episode of Avatar aired. The Season Pass added this to the list of episodes to be downloaded automagically.

:) The actual videos look reasonably sharp on both my TV and monitor.

<_< However, Battlestar Galactica, in particular, has a lot of black and dark (and not just in deep space), and the compression seems to have left some artifacts in the picture. Certainly, the quality pales in comparison to the first season DVDs, "near-DVD quality" or not.)

Also, unaccountably, the first half of Battlestar Galactica season 2 is formatted "full screen," with the sides trimmed (the show airs in widescreen, and the 1st season DVDs are all widescreen.) Half way through the season, the iTunes videos become widescreen.

There were also a couple of scenes in what I've watched so far where the colors looked oversaturated or badly adjusted in BSG. It's a bit disappointing.

Avatar, which is animated, is brighter and has less detail, looks very crisp.

Compared to the DVDs, the iTunes downloads are less than half price (Battlestar Galactica was $26 vs $68 for the DVDs. The savings on Avatar is less impressing, $30 vs. ... well, the 2nd season isn't on DVD yet, so let me guess it'll be $44 like the first season.) The iTunes videos don't have the extras of the DVDs (alternate languages, commentary, "making of", and Closed Captioning/subtitles.) And, thanks to FairPlay, they can't be loaned, sold "used", or traded as the DVDs could. That's the expected trade-off for downloading.

The videos play smoothly on my 1.25GHz G4 eMac, unless I have something else going on in the background (iTunes checking for new podcasts each hour, for example.)

so do we agggree that when a number.0 comes out it should be a name number.0 beta? before they get the problems fixed

no wait i've posted a new topic for this

I hadn't considered this when I updated my desktop to iTunes 7... but my slower laptop's iTunes 6 won't share music with iTunes 7 ("Shared music library is not compatible with version of iTunes...")

So, I guess I update the laptop, too.

I think the 'Album Artist' tag is to help with albums being split up in Cover Flow view. That is, if you have an album where some tracks have other artists singing along with the artist whose album it is, tracks will show up separately in Cover Flow view.

The way I think I have sorted this out is to first classify those albums as Compilations, and then to put the album's main artist as the Album Artist tag. This means that the album shows up as one in the Cover Flow view, and instead of saying 'Various Artists', it's listed as the artist you put in Album Artist.

A bit long-winded, maybe, and it will probably take a bit of a while for someone with a large music collection.

In all, iTunes 7 seems like a good release, though at times a bit sluggish. I think it's also eating RAM like there's no tomorrow, so hopefully that will be addressed in some future update.

The interface seems to have undergone a bit of an overhaul too, with the seeming loss of the aqua-style scroll bars and buttons etc. I wonder if this is the shape of the UI to come in Leopard?

Yours,

W.

Your suggestion worked great for me! I just tried it on the album "Duets" by Frank Sinatra. I used the shift key to select all of the songs in the album and then I did "GET INFO" and changed the ALBUM ARTIST tag for all of the songs to "Frank Sanatra" but left the ARTIST tag as it was (i.e.: Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin, Barbra Streisand etc). Then I went back and corrected my spelling of Sinatra :P . Thanks

Has anyone else noticed that video podcasts are no lobger organized into folders that way other podcasts are since iTunes 7 - they are simply put into the root of the Podcasts folder within the iTunes Music Library. I have noted that this occurs on both Windows and Mac vesion of iTunes7. i had hoped that 7.0.1 would fix this but it does not appear to. Anyone have any ideas about this?

There is an unanswered Q. on the Apple support forum as well I have attached the link below

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...3227771#3227771

Has anyone else noticed that video podcasts are no longer organized into folders that way other podcasts are since iTunes 7 - they are simply put into the root of the Podcasts folder within the iTunes Music Library.

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Mine are still under the Podcasts library... my dl.tv is under Podcasts/dl.tv, Command-N is under Podcasts/Command-N, Macbreak is under Podcasts/Macbreak and the ABC World news is under Podcasts/ABC World News.

video_podcasts.gif

(They are also in my "Video Podcasts" Smart Playlist - but I created that for myself.)

Or do you just mean the old "Videos" library is gone (replaced by separate "Movies" and "TV Shows" libraries, and a "Music Videos" smart playlist ?

Edited by car1son

it is true that within the podcast view (thanks for the screenshot) nothing has changed.

If you highlight one of the video podcasts and choose the "Show In Finder" option however you will notice that rather than being in a folder called iTunes Music/Podcasts/command N for instance, all video podcasts downloaded since the installation of iTunes 7 (Sep12 for me) are now being stored in the iTunes Music/Podcasts folder.

This is true for video podcasts that I was already subscribed to, for which folders already existed, as well as new subscriptions.

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Mine are still under the Podcasts library... my dl.tv is under Podcasts/dl.tv, Command-N is under Podcasts/Command-N, Macbreak is under Podcasts/Macbreak and the ABC World news is under Podcasts/ABC World News.

video_podcasts.gif

(They are also in my "Video Podcasts" Smart Playlist - but I created that for myself.)

Or do you just mean the old "Videos" library is gone (replaced by separate "Movies" and "TV Shows" libraries, and a "Music Videos" smart playlist ?

Ah, you mean where the actual files are stored in the iTunes Music folder. I guess I'm generally indifferent to that, since the files are transient (download/watch/delete). I just let iTunes organize it however it likes.

Are you trying to force them to go to a separate disk drive for space reasons ?

Ah, you mean where the actual files are stored in the iTunes Music folder. I guess I'm generally indifferent to that, since the files are transient (download/watch/delete). I just let iTunes organize it however it likes.

Exactly - I move some off to external storage - Photoshop TV for example. Having the folders made that very easy. It also seemed an odd thing to change but you are right that the functionality betweeen iTunes and my iPod is no different.

I did note that the option to keep "the xx recent uplayed" podcast option does not seem to work with video podcasts either - they seem to be treated differently from audio ones. Again not a huge deal just an inconsistency.

Exactly - I move some off to external storage - Photoshop TV for example. Having the folders made that very easy. It also seemed an odd thing to change but you are right that the functionality betweeen iTunes and my iPod is no different.

I did note that the option to keep "the xx recent uplayed" podcast option does not seem to work with video podcasts either - they seem to be treated differently from audio ones. Again not a huge deal just an inconsistency.

This issue seems to be resolved in 7.0.2