Sign in to follow this  
joshr

10.4.7 Update Problems

So I updated to 10.4.7 today after holding off forever because I was afraid of problems. Guess what, problems. Every time I reboot I can't connect to my network. I have a macbook pro, a netgear router, and an airport express. The status shows that it's connected by the clock but it's not.

After some experimenting I found what I can do to fix it but I have to do it after every reboot. I go into the network panel and it says "Airport is connected to the network [network name]. Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet". Then I choose "Assist me" and diagnostic. After I choose my network I get a pop up that says "Your network configuration has changed. Click OK to proceed to the next step". Once I click OK it disconnects me from my network and as soon as I rejoin all is good.

So what is going on and why?

Edited by joshr

I had this problem. I found it had a problem using the WAP security so I had it delete my password and I rentered it in manually. Not sure it's the same problem as I don't remember issues with IP address, but it would refuse to access the network.

I had this problem. I found it had a problem using the WAP security so I had it delete my password and I rentered it in manually. Not sure it's the same problem as I don't remember issues with IP address, but it would refuse to access the network.

I am also using WPA encryption. So I deleted the key from the keychain then I restarted. First of all it said it was connected as always but still could not go online. Then I turned off the airport, turned it back on, and reconnected to my network. It asked for my password and once I put it in everything was fine. Then I restarted and tried again. Again it said it was connected but was apparently not. I turned off the airport, turned it back on, and reconnected. Everything was fine. So now it seems if every time I reboot I turn off then back on the wireless I can connect. What can I do to fix this?

EDIT: after I repaired permissions and cleared PRAM the disconnect reconnect didn't work but my earlier method of using the network diagnostic did work.

Edited by joshr

SOLVED!!!!!!

I found the answer on the Apple Discussion Forums.

Ok, If you are having the original problem I posted, I know what the issue is and how to fix it.

So I reinstalled OS X.4.5 and it fixed the problem BUT I then applied the patch to X.4.6 and the problem came right back.. So, what is the deal, I'll tell you. For some reason, after installing X.4.6 OSX corrupts your saved WPA/WEP password in a cache. So when you initially connect it doesn't work, but after you turn it off, then on again, it fetches the uncorrupt password from the keychain and it works. Want proof? Ok, do this:

- Go to System Preferences

- Click Network

- Highlight AirPort and click Configure

- Choose "By default, join: Preferred networks"

- Select your access point and click edit

- Click on "show password"

At this point you should see a crazy corrupt password.. Proof that it is jacked up. Now:

- Exit that window back to the access point list

- Remove your access point with the "-" button

- Launch your keychain and delete your access point keychain entry.

- Reboot

- Go back to the "By default, join:" page and click the "+" this time to add your access point. Enter the correct password, save, reboot, BAM, FIXED!

The password continues to be corrupt from time to time. not all of the time but every so often. Anyone have any idea why? or how to fix it?

I used to have that exact problem. It's not happening any more and I can't remember exactly what I did when it stopped. I have reinstalled OS X since then and opened the computer up to fix a thermal paste issue after an apple repair.