Sign in to follow this  
Animal

5G iPod freezes up since iTunes 7

Okay, to be fair, I have no idea whether it was iTunes 7 that caused this problem or not, but I do know that this didn't happen before I installed it (and the iPod updater of course).

Basically what happens is that when you light up the screen by adjusting the volume or changing track position, etc., a few seconds later the screen goes "fuzzy" for a second. The graphics and text basically get blurred in a horizontal direction. Normally, they immediately return to normal, and everything still works properly. Sometimes however, the ipod basically freezes with the screen still messed up. The audio is still playing, but I now have no control over it. I cannot play or pause music, change the volume, or skip ahead or back. If I happen to finish listening to a track while this is happening, then nothing else plays once that track is finished. The only solution I could come up with was to reset the iPod via the menu and center buttons. Of course, this resets the iPod to where it was the last time you turned it on, which means your play counts (or in my case, my "played" and "unplayed" markings for my podcasts) may not be correct.

I performed a full restore yesterday, on the chance that it would help the issue, but no luck.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

Quick description of another problem that showed up while I was using iTunes 6, and is continuing in iTunes 7:

After initially updating my ipod in iTunes (when I first plug it in), the iPod cannot be found again by iTunes. If I want to edit setting or anything else in the ipod, I have to do so, and apply the changes before the initial update is done. If the update completes, and I then continue to make changes, when I tell iTunes to update the iPod again, I get a message saying that the ipod cannot be updated because it cannot be found.

Again, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks, folks.

Edited by Animal

The Apple Discussion Forums for the 5th gen iPod are filled with issues right now after updating with the new updater. People are posting reports of what you are seeing as well as issues with not being able to play MP3 files without the iPod rebooting, etc.

Looks like a bad updater that Apple put out.

The Apple Discussion Forums for the 5th gen iPod are filled with issues right now after updating with the new updater. People are posting reports of what you are seeing as well as issues with not being able to play MP3 files without the iPod rebooting, etc.

I haven't had any trouble with my 5G iPod, so it's not a universally bad updater. But it may have something to do with people's configurations. So, I guess it's still a bad updater

I do not think that the updater itself is bad, as in corrupt, but the code that it updates the firmware with does have some issues apparently. Hopefully Apple will get them worked out soon.

Thanks for the info. Sometimes I forget about those Apple Discussion Forums. At least I know it's not just my ipod... which means there will be a fix at some point... :)

Well, iTunes 7.0.1 is out, and I'd hoped that it would at least fix the syncing issues with my ipod. ie. I would be able to update it a second time without unplugging it first...

...but no such luck. I guess I'll have to wait for a new ipod updater?

Haven't played around with the ipod much since the update, so I don't know if the occasional freezing is fixed, but I doubt it. That definitely seems like an ipod updater issue to me.

Edit: As I suspected, the ipod still freezes...

Edited by Animal