Sign in to follow this  
rohitincmc

Backup software

I used Backup (Apple .mac) to backup my data and software onto an external hard disk (250GB). Then I came across SuperDuper (unregistered copy) and decided to use that (the Maccast podcast seemed to prefer SuperDuper). When I loaded SuperDuper on, it wanted to format the External HardDisk to a Mac format and then load the backup data onto it. Did all that and it was fine.

Since it is an unregistered copy, SuperDuper will not just update files... but instead delete all files and overwrite it each time... I decided that Apple Backup was simpler and easier.

But when I tried using Apple Backup, it says that it cannot use the HardDisk, since the formatting was something which it did not understand.

What do I do now? How do I undo what has been done by SuperDuper? How do I format or rather re-format the external harddisk to suit Apple Backup?

Thank you.

Sunny

Try using Apple's Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) to format the drive in the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system and see if that works.

SuperDuper and Apple Backup are great.

It may also be worth you looking into Intego Backup, I have found this to offer a very easy interface and scheduling, as well as the clone functions found in SuperDuper that you might find handy.

SuperDuper! is the single best investment I have made for my Mac and I will continue to pay whatever reasonable price is put out there for any update.

How about carbon copy cloner? It's free. Or silvekeeper from lacie, also free.

Superduper is very slow on my iMac G5. No problems with carbon copy cloner.