The Dead Herring

Any issues with new iMacs?

I seem to have a phobia of buying new macs after my bad MacBook experience, namely the 4 weeks it took to arrive, and then the endless problems with it, and it's replacement.

My question is, anybody who has purchased a new iMac, have there been any problems with it. Are the fans really loud? Are there funny noises with it? Do you get tons and tons of feedback in Garageband?

Cheers.

There are issues with computers no matter who makes them, you will inevitably get a computer in your lifetime that has something wrong with it.

It isn't good for your health to worry about such things, see the thing you want and get it.

Jack

well i know its never that simple but you get what i mean

jack

the new imacs are really quiet, i dont know about garage band because i dont use it.

the new imacs are really quiet, i dont know about garage band because i dont use it.

I really have my eye on one now. My parents iMac G5 is pretty noisy.

I really have my eye on one now. My parents iMac G5 is pretty noisy.

I have a Dual Core 20inch and have to say that compared to a friends 17inch PowerPC iMac it is very very quiet indeed. The fans hardly ever spin up, which is great.

With the advent of the new Core 2 Duo chips being installed, this should prove even better (less heat generation).

On a side note, I too had MacBook problems, but it did not put me off staying with the most awesome platform available today.

We got a new 24" at work today. I have to say that it get's warm, but it's very quiet. I suppose that with all that heat from the huge display, the super-CPU and the small casing it's a miracle it's as quiet and cool as it is.

It is kinda warm though.

We got a new 24" at work today. I have to say that it get's warm, but it's very quiet. I suppose that with all that heat from the huge display, the super-CPU and the small casing it's a miracle it's as quiet and cool as it is.

It is kinda warm though.

Well my 17inch 2.ghz powerpc imac is hot and loud! Must mean it's real fast! lol.

Thanks for advice guys.

I visited the Twelve Oaks Apple Store last night to check out the new 24" iMac and I couldn't contain myself but (un)fortunately my credit card providers don't trust me enough so I ended up getting the $1199 17" iMac. It's awesome and a perfect compliment to my MacBook, which can barely handle Aperture.

Anyways, I haven't had any problems with it yet and I haven't heard of any outcries because the fan spins 10 RPMs faster than it should. Just buy one, you won't regret it.

I visited the Twelve Oaks Apple Store last night to check out the new 24" iMac and I couldn't contain myself but (un)fortunately my credit card providers don't trust me enough so I ended up getting the $1199 17" iMac. It's awesome and a perfect compliment to my MacBook, which can barely handle Aperture.

Anyways, I haven't had any problems with it yet and I haven't heard of any outcries because the fan spins 10 RPMs faster than it should. Just buy one, you won't regret it.

If I can convince my mother to let me buy it I will. She says that I am just a boy with a lot of money and wants something to spend it on. Well yeah, that something is the iMac!

I have had my new 20" Imac for about two weeks now. It runs great and is very quiet. It was a little strange, the first day or two it seemed to run hot and boot up slowly. After day three it now runs cooler and books up fast. Unfortunatly, I don't use Garage Band so I can't tell you about that, but everything else seems to run great. Overall, I'm very pleased with the performance and the quality of the machine.

I've had my 24" iMac for a little over a week now. It is very quiet, with the exception of the DVD drive, which seems a little noisy to me when I first put in a disk. In practice this has not been a problem, it is just for a few seconds when the DVD is initially read, and once playback begins it is silent. I've been using Garageband on it quite a bit and it works great. The display is beautiful, and it has become the replacement for my old TV (which was very old and smaller...I'm not a big TV person, just use it to watch DVDs). And the thing is fast. I run Menu Meters and can't seem to get the processor levels to peg, no matter what I do : ).

I love it.

d.

A point in favor of the new iMacs is that they are essentially revision B of the Intel iMac, so if there were issues in the original version (early 2006) they (should) have been fixed by now.

Interestingly, with all the hoopla over MacBook and MacBook Pro problems, I NEVER heard of any problems with the Intel iMacs.

Don

A point in favor of the new iMacs is that they are essentially revision B of the Intel iMac, so if there were issues in the original version (early 2006) they (should) have been fixed by now.

Interestingly, with all the hoopla over MacBook and MacBook Pro problems, I NEVER heard of any problems with the Intel iMacs.

Don

There was a video tearing problem with one of the optional video cards. Regardless though I have been watching this thread and finally I have to say something. If you wanted a macbook just buy a macbook. Not every computer will be perfect, especially not first generation products. At this point though the quirks have been worked out and if they haven't they are at least a known issue. So if you want a macbook just go buy another one and I am sure it will be fine. If you actually would prefer an imac, more powerful computer for the same price, then just buy it. If it has a problem then you will just have to work with Apple until you are satisfied.

i agree with joshr 100% on this one. You want one? BUY ONE! There will always be another better, faster and more reliable computer around the corner. I've said this for years, when it comes to ALL computers, and I know Adam has mentioned it on the show. If there's some big problems, apple will recognize them at some time, and fix it.

I will leave it a couple of months, every single macbook I have used has made that sound. But I know that there a people who say they don't have the problem. It just annoys me that I always seem to get the one with problems.

I will leave it a couple a months, as you can see from the thread title. The experience has actually damaged me phycologically, I have become excessive over miniscule things. I have started noticing my tv making a high pitched sound too. I fear that I will never be able to be satisfied with anything ever again.