Sign in to follow this  
harrysnewbizzare

itunes can' read ipod

when i connect my ipod i now get this error...

"i tunes cannot read the conents of the ipod, go to summary tab in the ipod preferences and click Restore to restore this ipod to factory settings"

which i would do if i could find the ipod preferences pane... i know it was there before but doesn't appear to be now, so i don't know what to do. am i being a complete idiot?

Edited by harrysnewbizzare

If you have installed iTunes7 then you should have a page which shows you ipod info including an option to restore the ipod. ????

If you have installed iTunes7 then you should have a page which shows you ipod info including an option to restore the ipod. ????

because itunes won't read the ipod, the new ipod info display doesnt show up nor the ipod icon in the devcies list... but the ipod shows on my desktop and i can read files i have put on it in that way... i dont know what to do other than wipe it.

because itunes won't read the ipod, the new ipod info display doesnt show up nor the ipod icon in the devcies list... but the ipod shows on my desktop and i can read files i have put on it in that way... i dont know what to do other than wipe it.

update> it seems though the ipod menu has moved, if itunes fails to read your ipod you can't access the menu as you need the ipod to mount, to see the ipod pref panel... hence i had to erase my pod via disk util. bummer

Maybe Check Permissions.

If that doesn't work, I'd be inclined to wait for Apple to come out with a fix release for iTunes (shouldn't be long). I assume your iPod still has the content on it and it hasn't been wiped by iTunes.

If you feel brave you could try running Restore from the previous iPod Updater release in "Applications/Utilities/iPod Software Updater" and then connecting. Problem is that if that doesn't work, you'll end up with an empty iPod and no way of updating it.

You could also uninstall iTunes 7.0 and go back to 6.0, if you Google, you'll find instructions as to how to do this.

EDIT: Oops, see you found the solution before I got round to replying.

Edited by Ginamos

Maybe Check Permissions.

If that doesn't work, I'd be inclined to wait for Apple to come out with a fix release for iTunes (shouldn't be long). I assume your iPod still has the content on it and it hasn't been wiped by iTunes.

If you feel brave you could try running Restore from the previous iPod Updater release in "Applications/Utilities/iPod Software Updater" and then connecting. Problem is that if that doesn't work, you'll end up with an empty iPod and no way of updating it.

You could also uninstall iTunes 7.0 and go back to 6.0, if you Google, you'll find instructions as to how to do this.

EDIT: Oops, see you found the solution before I got round to replying.

Ginamos,

thanks for taking the time to reply, i thought about going back to 6.0, but since i had all my ipod music backedup, i just decided i'd save the hassle and wipe it clean and that seemed to do the trick and its working fine now... shame 7.0 is so buggy.