powerpc

Which iPod?

Right i AM going to buy an iPod but my friends have decided to make it slightly harder for me.

I am upgrading from a CD player i have about 5 GB Of music which is set to expand (Not by much

) so i was thinking of buying an 8GB nano. Then My friends pointed out to me for 20 Pounds extra you could get a 30GB ipod video, which can (as the name implies) play video and has more space.

so i though about what i would use it for. Well i do alot of downhill/montainous biking so in theory i would want solid state as i would be ivincible to the contant vibration where as a hardrive may get damaged also the player is smaller. But i Read something in wikipedia saying that flash based memory has about 1 million delete/write cycles. Is this something i need to worry about.

I was thinkning that maybe the extra storage on the video would come in handy for trasfering big files. Or is this pointless because of how slow it is.

Also does the nano feel really small, would i want (you) want something that you could feel in you pocket.

I still want to buy the nano, i think!

Any thoughts pro/cons would be appricated so much.

Thank you guys

so i though about what i would use it for. Well i do alot of downhill/montainous biking so in theory i would want solid state as i would be ivincible to the contant vibration where as a hardrive may get damaged also the player is smaller. But i Read something in wikipedia saying that flash based memory has about 1 million delete/write cycles. Is this something i need to worry about.

Based on what you're planning on doing, I would certainly lean towards the Nano. The vibration would certainly be cause for concern wrt any hard drive based player. Plus, the new Nano's should be even more rugged and impact resistant, so if you fall you're even less likely to need a new one.

The flash write cycle lifespan is probably not important...it would take years to fill up and empty your Nano 1 million times.

EP

the nano is great..BUT, i have a 60 GB 5G and i couldnt have any less than that. and where ever you heard that the transfer speed is slow is a lie. the transfer speed is very fast. i suggest buying the 30 GB if price isnt an option

very true. if you dont mind the extra size (not really that much, you will defiantly feel it in weight though), then this is fine. the bumping really shouldnt bother it. i know im going old school, but my 4G takes it just fine when i run or jog or bike around. no biggie with impact and such like CDs. the video and small file disc use is a huge benifit as well....

i would go 5.5G if i were you, especially since there is really no price difference...

I run regularly and really like the fact that my nano is so light I hardly even notice it.

As for transferring files, an 8 gig nano is still a huge capacity for file transfers - even for full length movies and audio collections.

I can't say anything about durability because running usually doesn't result in the impacts that biking does. My Nano is not the new aluminum one, but it has been dropped a time or two and still functions perfectly.

very true. if you dont mind the extra size (not really that much, you will defiantly feel it in weight though), then this is fine. the bumping really shouldnt bother it. i know im going old school, but my 4G takes it just fine when i run or jog or bike around. no biggie with impact and such like CDs. the video and small file disc use is a huge benifit as well....

i would go 5.5G if i were you, especially since there is really no price difference...

4G is old school? i use my 20GB 3G model only for snowboarding.... i have wiped out bad so many times with that thing (helicopter drops, cliffs, rocks) and nothing has ever happened to it. ive gotten hurt worse than my ipod in my wipe outs haha

the bumping really shouldnt bother it. i know im going old school, but my 4G takes it just fine when i run or jog or bike around. no biggie with impact and such like CDs. the video and small file disc use is a huge benifit as well....

Mountain biking causes a LOT of impact, vibrations, shock, and all sorts of beating up of an iPod. Seriously, no hard drive could ever survive it while running. The SMS would shut down a computer, there is probably somethign similar in an iPod, but it may still not survive (at least during my definition of "mountainous biking").

1 million is a lot of times to rewrite something. We're talking hitting the sync button is 1. Deleting a song to make room and then putting a new one on is 1 more, but only for the section of the memory that held that song, and the dircectory file on the memory (which is actually the main thing that gets edited). A million is a lot. I think more than you realize. Sure, in computer terms a CPU can do 3 million calculations a second, but to even approach 1 million rewrites on a read-only device (as in not RAM, I know it's a stupid term because you can put data on it, but the point is that it isn't being constantly messed with) would be nearly inpossible. Not to mention, hard drives don't last nearly 1 million rewrites over the whole disk, the mechanism (if not the media) would just fall apart. And you hear about people's data dying when their hard drives die... nobody really used flash for storage, but you don't hear about the memory component of MP3 players failing, because nobody's got there yet.

I run regularly and really like the fact that my nano is so light I hardly even notice it.

As for transferring files, an 8 gig nano is still a huge capacity for file transfers - even for full length movies and audio collections.

I can't say anything about durability because running usually doesn't result in the impacts that biking does. My Nano is not the new aluminum one, but it has been dropped a time or two and still functions perfectly.

The aluminum should be better. And in general, and flash player can be dropped quite a bit and still survive.

Mountain biking causes a LOT of impact, vibrations, shock, and all sorts of beating up of an iPod. Seriously, no hard drive could ever survive it while running. The SMS would shut down a computer, there is probably somethign similar in an iPod, but it may still not survive (at least during my definition of "mountainous biking").

1 million is a lot of times to rewrite something. We're talking hitting the sync button is 1. Deleting a song to make room and then putting a new one on is 1 more, but only for the section of the memory that held that song, and the dircectory file on the memory (which is actually the main thing that gets edited). A million is a lot. I think more than you realize. Sure, in computer terms a CPU can do 3 million calculations a second, but to even approach 1 million rewrites on a read-only device (as in not RAM, I know it's a stupid term because you can put data on it, but the point is that it isn't being constantly messed with) would be nearly inpossible. Not to mention, hard drives don't last nearly 1 million rewrites over the whole disk, the mechanism (if not the media) would just fall apart. And you hear about people's data dying when their hard drives die... nobody really used flash for storage, but you don't hear about the memory component of MP3 players failing, because nobody's got there yet.

The aluminum should be better. And in general, and flash player can be dropped quite a bit and still survive.

i dont think you will have an issue no matter which one you get. i personally would get the video just because its not that much more in price and you can hold a ton more space.

i would say to get the 5G iPod. get the nano as your second ipod. to me it doesn't really matter if it's flash or hdd based and i carry my 4G 20gb around alot in rough conditions and it's never had problems.

Some more thing to throw out. Because it would be plugged into a mac first (and nearly all the time) the drive would formatted in HFS, right? Pretty much everything bar my friends laptop is a pc that i cannot install anything on, so the ipod couldn't really be used as a portable drive for other files, which would mean the extra space would be pointless.

(Someone probably needs to expain the limitations of hfs formatted iPod)

Do i have to have it in hfs --> is there better battery life, i noticed i couldn't do ipod updates on my friends ipod which is fat32 formatted.

help again please.

p.s. my definition of montain biking etc:

Front wheel after:

DSC00519.JPG

p.s my friends fingers and foot also.

Edited by powerpc

I have a 5 year old FIRST generation iPod (5 gigabytes) and I've taken it mountain biking, so anyone's claim that a hard drive won't take that kind of punishment just hasn't actually tried it. I've dropped it, it's been run over by another biker and suffered NO damage, be sure to get a good case of course.

I've also dropped it at the gym, my wife knocked it off a counter at home and my son has used it as a tool to beat my cat, still no problems. I did of course have to replace the battery because they sucked in the 1G iPod.

The USB 2.0 interface is plenty fast, not as quick as FireWire, but it's not slow. I use my to 5G store DVDrips that I've converted into iPod format before loading them into iTunes ( I convert them on my G4 desktop then transfer them to my PowerBook ).

For the same money, I think you'd be silly not to get a 30gig, IMO. Heck for an extra $100 US it'd be a tough argument for me not to get 50 gigabytes more with the extra battery life.

roog

I've riding BMX and downhill for some years myself, and I can tell you right now; that WILL destroy your iPod. Not only the vibrations, but sometimes you faceplant, or rather iPodplant. My suggestion is for you to buy a whateverthehellyouwant AND a shuffle. Use the Shuffle when riding and the $whatever all the other times.

(And yes, I have destroyd my iPod doing these things. Actually, I've killed two.)

I've riding BMX and downhill for some years myself, and I can tell you right now; that WILL destroy your iPod. Not only the vibrations, but sometimes you faceplant, or rather iPodplant. My suggestion is for you to buy a whateverthehellyouwant AND a shuffle. Use the Shuffle when riding and the $whatever all the other times.

(And yes, I have destroyd my iPod doing these things. Actually, I've killed two.)

Ditto on the shuffle.

I have a 40GB 3G and a 1GB shuffle. Use Dension ice link in the BMW and really nothing else for the 3G. The shuffle goes running, biking, gardening, etc. Dirt, clay, rain, sweat.

The people who say that they haven't had a problem with a HD based model and a bike have been VERY lucky - and I envy them.

W J

Some more thing to throw out. Because it would be plugged into a mac first (and nearly all the time) the drive would formatted in HFS, right? Pretty much everything bar my friends laptop is a pc that i cannot install anything on, so the ipod couldn't really be used as a portable drive for other files, which would mean the extra space would be pointless.

(Someone probably needs to expain the limitations of hfs formatted iPod)

Do i have to have it in hfs --> is there better battery life, i noticed i couldn't do ipod updates on my friends ipod which is fat32 formatted.

help again please.

p.s. my definition of montain biking etc:

Front wheel after:

DSC00519.JPG

p.s my friends fingers and foot also.

OK, looks like you do the kind of riding that would make an iPod with hard drive slightly unhappy.

If you take it to a PC to format it, your Mac can still use it, as OS X can read/edit FAT32. The disadvantage would be the loss of PSD (photoshop document) support for photo viewing on the iPod, and you can't use special characters in the name of the device (hold down option and hit keys, I mean those characters), which can't be over 10 characters in FAT32.

HFS will allow you to have any name for the disk itself, better support in general for funny characters in file names, and will work with PSD files. It's not that FAT32 won't do PSD, but that the PC formatted iPod system won't.

Also, syncing on the Mac will be slower using FAT32, I'd guess because of the conversion from HFS.

Last time I tried FAT32, iTunes tended to beachball more and become unresponsive when syncing, not a huge problem, more of a minor irritant.