Peter W

Slicing MP4s.

Hi, my apologies if this question has been covered before, I did search the various Forums, but couldn’t find anything.

I recently bought a 1 hour 25 minute chapter-less DVD which contains 24 music videos. I used Handbrake to convert it to an MP4 (I’m taking this as “Fair Use” as I only bought it to put on my iPod) but I’m left with having to fast-forward past tracks to get to the one I want. I tried using iMovie to make chapters, but for some reason those wouldn’t show when saved. Although chapters would do, I’d really like to slice it up in to 24 individual vidoes, and I’m hoping one of you guys know of a way to do that :)

Any help would be most appreciated.

I had to do the same thing for a similar video, I have QuickTime Pro and I copied and pasted each video into a new QuickTime file. QTPro cost me $29.99 but I'm sure there are some other options out there, you may be able to convert the MP4 into DV and then import into iMovie and edit that way also.

And whoever makes chapterless DVDs oughta be hurt!

roog

Hi, my apologies if this question has been covered before, I did search the various Forums, but couldn’t find anything.

I recently bought a 1 hour 25 minute chapter-less DVD which contains 24 music videos. I used Handbrake to convert it to an MP4 (I’m taking this as “Fair Use” as I only bought it to put on my iPod) but I’m left with having to fast-forward past tracks to get to the one I want. I tried using iMovie to make chapters, but for some reason those wouldn’t show when saved. Although chapters would do, I’d really like to slice it up in to 24 individual vidoes, and I’m hoping one of you guys know of a way to do that :)

Quicktime Pro cut and paste is one way to do it, but you could also just import the whole clip into iMovie and where you make a cut (Apple + 'T'), making each clip a separate edit, you can drag and drop the individual sections out of iMovie onto the Finder - where you can then convert them to whatever other format you want, using iSquint or FFMpegX for example.

Peter, now that you have converted the DVD to MP4 with Handbrake, you can use a FREE app called MPEG Streamclip to take your MP4 file and create these 24 clips of your music videos. Basically, you can set IN and OUT points and then trim the video exactly where you want it. Additionally, you can export these clips back out to various format including Quicktime, DV, MP4 and AVI. You can download the program here at this link:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Best of all, it's FREE!

Hope this helps.

Peter, now that you have converted the DVD to MP4 with Handbrake, you can use a FREE app called MPEG Streamclip to take your MP4 file and create these 24 clips of your music videos. Basically, you can set IN and OUT points and then trim the video exactly where you want it. Additionally, you can export these clips back out to various format including Quicktime, DV, MP4 and AVI. You can download the program here at this link:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Best of all, it's FREE!

Hope this helps.

That, and the previous reply, has been a great help. Thank you all!