akemphues

setting up BT

I want to start using Bittorrent, but I am unsure how to setup my mac efficiently to do this. I have a 15" PB running OS 10.4.7

I was thinking of using a lightweight BT client like bitrocket or transmission, but I am very unsure how to setup my firewall and the rest of my equipment. I use an Airport Express.

What is the best way to go about setting all of this up so I can get started?

Not hard.

Whatever Bittorrent client you select, it will have a set of TCP/IP ports that it will use to receive incomming connections. The default is 6881, 6882, 6883, 6884... for however many concurrent torrents you are using. You can usually change those ports in the client app's Preferences, if you want (don't pick a port anything else is going to use!).

Next, open the Mac firewall pane (Preferences/Sharing/Firewall), make a New entry, and list the port or range of ports to open, and open those.

mac_sys_firewall_new.jpg

Next, you'll want to open your Airport Express admin application and set up Port Mapping for those same ports to point to the IP address of your Mac on your local net. One complication is that if your Mac is configured to use DHCP to determine its IP address, that IP address is subject to change... so it's more reliable to configure a static IP address for the Mac first (consistent with your router.)

Click here for some more info on the process.

I don't use the buillt in firewall. But my router for some reason can't open individual ports. Seeing as we are on Macs, it is quite safe to completely open the firewall on your router for a certain computer in your network. This is called placing your computer in the DMZ.

I don't use the buillt in firewall... Seeing as we are on Macs, it is quite safe to completely open the firewall on your router for a certain computer in your network.

A badly configured Mac is as open to traditional penetration as any computer. It may be immune to Windows worms and trojans, but if you leave all the ports open to the outside, turn on services such as file sharing, telnet, ssh, or FTP, use poorly conceived passwords and invite the whole world in, you're asking for trouble. I use my router to keep strangers from connecting to the file sharing on my desktop with the same ease that I do.

A badly configured Mac is as open to traditional penetration as any computer. It may be immune to Windows worms and trojans, but if you leave all the ports open to the outside, turn on services such as file sharing, telnet, ssh, or FTP, use poorly conceived passwords and invite the whole world in, you're asking for trouble. I use my router to keep strangers from connecting to the file sharing on my desktop with the same ease that I do.

I only put the computer outside of the firewall when Bittorrenting which isn't very often. Most of the time I have it on the xbox 360.