TDamon

Thoughts on Advertising

I just wanted to thank Adam for choosing to consider the advertisement route as opposed to subscription costs. I find that part of the joy of podcasts IS that they are free to listen to, like the radio. And so if they need to advertise (like the radio..) that's better IMO than asking users to pay for specific podcasts.

Now if someone wanted to make a podcast network of various podcasts that people could subscribe to... that might be a viable alternative, but I for one do not want to have to start paying for all the podcasts that I listen to (another podcast that I used to enjoy recently switched to a subscription service, and I just didn't feel right paying for it... I don't pay for individual TV or radio shows, so why should I have to pay for individual podcasts?).

Anyway, I'd like others thoughts and opinions on these financial matters.

Go with advertising.

I'd also suggest Adam adopts an open approach to the monetary costs he incurs running the MacCast operation. That way those subscribers that can afford it can help out.

I know that Adam has the "PayPal Donate" button the site, but putting some real figures on the costs wouldn't hurt. Maybe a rough monthly cost breakdown, and a donated this month amount. This would in no way reflect the preparation and recording time that Adam must spend in making each MacCast show, but a least it would be a start.

Of course if advertising can fund all the operational costs so much the better.

I've got to agree with you guys. I prefer ads over having to pay for a podcast. I have not nor will I ever pay for a podcast. There's just so many out there that I can always find another one to listen to. As far as supporting the show goes, dont forget the shop: http://shop.maccast.com/ or the MacCast gear: http://www.cafepress.com/podthreads

Absolutely consider advertising to support the podcast. An easy first step may be to sign up for Google ads on the MacCast website. If Google puts properly targeted ads for mac and ipod related products (which should be a no brainer for Google), I'd almost consider it an added value to the website.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support and understanding. I need to do what I need to do to keep the MacCast going. Funny thing is most email I get is from people wanting me to use a subscription or donation model. That would be nice, but the truth is it doesn't work. TWiT tried it and couldn't make it work and if Leo can't get people to subscribe I doubt I could. :)

Adam,

Donations can always been given - no need to deny them at all <_<

And yes TWIT tried and failed so they now use some ads, and they do not interfere a lot with the podcast because he has freedom to make it himself in a way he choses. Much like rocketboom.

An other possibility is using adam curry's podcast network - but that is commercial as all I see there is godaddy. But then looking at diggnation it is the same where they decide how to make the commercial and these in no way are intrusive.

To my best knowledge making people pay for a podcast must mean the podcast have real value added interest to people, and for a podcast based upon a hobby for the most of us that I doubt - it has no or hardly any connection to daily work for the majority since the business worl d around us doesn't revolve around Apple but M$.

Ads seems therefore the logical way to proceed, and proceed you want - fortunately because your podcast is fun to listen to.

So get the ads rolling in and get your action rolling out.

(Just dont overdo ads) LOL

thanks so far for the fun time you offer us - and not just with the maccast

regards

Rob

I would be more of a fan of Payperclick advertising from a source such as YPN! Yahoo Publisher Network) on the forum and website instead of during the podcast. I noticed SUCH a difference with the download speeds with the new server!!!

It was awesome!!

What host are we using now?

Adam, if you do ads, please make them targeted towards us. I have noticed I never click on Ads because they are so random and do not apply to me.

I think that, without a doubt, there should be ads on the Maccast. Why should Adam not get any financial kickback for all the time and effort that goes into the podcast. Whilst I am sure the love and adoration of thousands of Mac Geeks may give Adam a warm glow, they will never buy him a new Mac Pro!!

I like the way that ads are done in Dignnation as they are always at the same point in the program and you are in no doubt they are ads.

However you choose to do, may I suggest that the only important thing is that they are obviously ads. Perhaps in a different voice?

However you choose to do, may I suggest that the only important thing is that they are obviously ads. Perhaps in a different voice?

I agree with you on that one. My biggest beef with the MacReviewCast is that pretty much everything sounds like ads. You never know when mr. Verporten (or something) is being payed to talk about something, and when it's something important.

Perhaps even someone else should read the ads, maybe give Mitch a job again. ;) (ref. podcast 10.11.2006)

Advertising, is a great option. Also give us information about your thoughts on advertising also. Im sure there are many software developers, IT professionals that listen to the show that would love to advertise let us know how to participate in an advertising method for the show! Keep up the great work!

Yeah, adding advertisement to the MacCast wouldn't bother me too much. It's worth it. If you do add advertising have it in it's own chapter so we can easily skip it if it doesn't interest us. A good place to do it would be between the News and your next segment, would make for a better segue, since people are used to hearing adds during the news.