Yang

Give my shuffle back, APPLE

Ok...it's simple: My shuffle is dead since I got iTune 7, it shows blinking light, green and amber....my computers can't see tmy ipod (both PC and a Mac), seen some many users reporting same problem on the internet.

What's going on here can anyone help?

Is the company trying to kill all old iPods by releasing the next iTune?

Really disappointing, next time when I choose my Mp3 player I will seriously consider other players on the market!

Edited by Yang

wow, overreaction. i honestly doubt that apple is trying to kill their own best selling mp3 player.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure even the original 5gb iPod will work in iTunes 7. By can't see, you mean it won't show in iTunes, or it's not even seen in the Finder or under the USB section in Apple System Profiler?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure even the original 5gb iPod will work in iTunes 7. By can't see, you mean it won't show in iTunes, or it's not even seen in the Finder or under the USB section in Apple System Profiler?

Ipod cannot be seen anywhere in windows and mac............just no show..........

wow, overreaction. i honestly doubt that apple is trying to kill their own best selling mp3 player.

overreaction?, see what all the people are saying about the new itune and you will see what I mean......not trying to kill their own best selling player, just making you to buy the lastest product.....

so switch to windows and buy the zune... then you will be happy right?

not so, i just hope Apple will solve this problem soon or someone helpful to point out the problem and solution, rather than going into the same old argument here..........

While people have been reporting bugs with iTunes 7.0, I'd go with others and say it's unlikely that Apple are going to mistreat its customers in this way. It just wouldn't make business sense. What we can probably infer, however, from Apple's past behaviour is that the 7.0 version is more of a beta, and it's likely that there'll be a 7.1 coming along soon with bug fixes.

In your case, though, that's clearly not ideal.

I just wondered if you could spell out in a bit more detail exactly what happened, so perhaps we can help a bit. First, when was it that your Shuffle stopped showing up? Second — just to clarify — does the Shuffle show up in the Finder? And how about Disk Utility? (in the Applications —> Utilities folder). And for curiosity's sake — does it still play music?

I'm by no means an expert, but hopefully there might be some solution we can all come to here. In the meantime, you might also be able to find some thing by searching the Apple knowledge base (Click here), using keywords like iTunes 7 and iPod Shuffle, maybe.

Hope that goes someway to helping, let us know how you get on.

Yours,

W.

Edited by Walafrid

is there any way possible that there is something wrong with the shuffle itself? does it still work?

Every once in a while, my computer will fail to see the Shuffle. First thing I'd do is trash the ipod preference. Then open the ipod updater utility and then turn the shuffle on and plug it in. If it still fails to mount on the desktop, I reboot with the shuffle plugged in.

If it does mount after a reboot (you may have to reopen the ipod updater), restore it.

The blinking lights phenomena with the Shuffle has been an ongoing problem for some people. It usally means the shuffle's formatting was corrupted. But, if it only happens after plugging it into a specific Mac the shuffle is usually synced to, then it appears to be related to some corruption on the Mac. Sorry I don't recall exactly what you need to do to get it (the Mac) to stop messing up the Shuffle. Try searching on the Apple discussions.

One other thing to try is downloading the latest ipod shuffle updater, in case you're using an older one.

I recommend against trying to re-format the shuffle from Disk Utility. Unlike other ipods, the shuffle is only formatted for windows fat 32 or whatever, and doesn't work with Mac HFS + format. I believe formatting it with Disk Utility will completely kill it for good.

good luck.

edited p.s. if you really think the problem is with itunes 7 you can find directions to downgrade here http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?...3121739#3121739

Edited by spike

Hi Thank you so much for all the helpful comment. The problem started when I first tried to connect my shuffle for the first time since I updated to itune 7. Now it's not showing up in either of my computers, one pc and one powerbook. it cannot play music because the blinking light of amber and green....I have tried all the means I know, but no avail....I might go back to the Apple store to ask them to repair it.

Many thanks...

I still love Apple.....

Yang

Hi Thank you so much for all the helpful comment. The problem started when I first tried to connect my shuffle for the first time since I updated to itune 7. Now it's not showing up in either of my computers, one pc and one powerbook. it cannot play music because the blinking light of amber and green....I have tried all the means I know, but no avail....I might go back to the Apple store to ask them to repair it.

Many thanks...

I still love Apple.....

Yang

If you are close to an Apple store, I bet that the iPod bar genius will be able to reset the thing and get it to work. I had a 3G iPod that I was SURE needed a new disk drive, because it wouldn't sync with iTunes and (evenuatlly) wouldn't respond to any of the keys at all. Not even attempting a re-install of the software from the iPod updater fixed this. The Apple guy reset the machine and reloaded the SW, and it's been working ever since (that is, for at least several months).

Actually, I was bummed a bit, as I was hoping for an excuse to get a new 60GIG iPod to replace the "broken" one! Now I can get an 80Gig...

Many thanks...

I still love Apple.....

Yang

If you are close to an Apple store, I bet that the iPod bar genius will be able to reset the thing and get it to work. I had a 3G iPod that I was SURE needed a new disk drive, because it wouldn't sync with iTunes and (evenuatlly) wouldn't respond to any of the keys at all. Not even attempting a re-install of the software from the iPod updater fixed this. The Apple guy reset the machine and reloaded the SW, and it's been working ever since (that is, for at least several months).

Actually, I was bummed a bit, as I was hoping for an excuse to get a new 60GIG iPod to replace the "broken" one! Now I can get an 80Gig...

Does anyone know if the iPod update that was put out at the same time as iTunes 7 included new software for the Shuffle? I'm wondering if there wasn't a bad update.

Went back to Apple Store, my shuffle was pronounced dead today, they say it's not fixable......also since it's over the one year period, no refund or anything, wrote an angry e-mail to apple New Zealand today!!!!Not good enough,,,started looking for a player from another company today.....

Thank you all for the great help.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went back to Apple Store, my shuffle was pronounced dead today, they say it's not fixable......also since it's over the one year period, no refund or anything, wrote an angry e-mail to apple New Zealand today!!!!Not good enough,,,started looking for a player from another company today.....

Thank you all for the great help.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no other company comes close to apple... should have bought apple care on it