Sign in to follow this  
pixelZION

external drive problems

I had a 200gb external Maxtor One Touch II drive. The drive started clicking, so I took the drive out (don't worry, it was out of warranty) and bought a 300gb Maxtor drive (diamond back series same as the original). I popped it in the enclosure, but now my mac only recognizes 128gb of the drive. I realize that this is a common problem w/ internal ATA drives, but it shouldn't affect this external should it? The jumper is set the same as the previous drive.

What should I do?

Thankx,

jH

Have you formatted it using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or some other format? This could well be your answer.

It might be a problem with the ATA controller in the enclosure. Just to be sure though, when you look at the partition tab in Disk Utility, it's showing one partition and no empty space right?

yeah, one partition...when I change to 300, it obviously changes itself back to 128 ;)

I wonder if a firmware upgrade might help. It's an oxford 911. Any idea how I can do that? I tried to d/l a file from fwdepot.com but I couldn't get the .bin to ever open up for me.

Again, why in the world would the previous 200gb work, but not this new 300gb?

I have a 911 chipset that works great for not only a 200 GB drive, but just a random one I tossed in. Sure, it happened to be the same Maxtor Diamondback drive, but it should still be fairly universally compatible. Firmware might fix it, Stuffit is good for .bin's.

Wait, now looking at the site, you need another application to do this, that is also linked to. .bin is a kind of data file, more often than a compression type but not usually used outside of firmware, etc, so not recognized by some people, I guess. Use the updater to update it, don't try to expand the data.

Edited by eternalnewb