Sign in to follow this  
kimgh

Third Party 802.11g card for "OLD" Mac?

I have an old G4 desktop machine, vintage about 2003, 966MHz clock. I recently upgraded to a new MacPro, and would like to "recycle" the old machine as a backup server. To do that, I would like to put it in a back room and have it wirelessly connect to the home network.

At the same time, I want to upgrade my wireless network to 802.11g so I can take advantage of WPA encryption.

These goals conflict because the old Mac will not take an Airport Extreme card. So: is there a third party wireless card that I can use in this machine? A brief web search shows third party cards for laptops, but I'm not sure I'm going to find ones for desktop machines.

BTW: I do have a couple of wireless modules that connect thru USB and are being used with PCs at the moment (don't ask...). But I don't think that any drivers for the Mac are available for them; otherwise, that would be an ideal solution.

Thanks for any help...

Kim

Cool. I didn't know you could get a USB wi-fi. Anyhow, one of my favorite places to shop for my old Mac (circa mid-1990s pre-G anything Mac) is OWC.

Take a look there and you can find a wi-fi bridge, PCI card, and USB models that look like they'd work for a G4 desktop depending on your OS. At least one USB model will work if you have 10.3.9.

Chances are the older machines will only have USB 1.1, which has a data transfer rate of 12 Mbit/s.

802.11g supports a transfer rate of 25 Mbit/s (maximum rate 54 Mbit/s). Your 802.11g card may therefore end up working at speeds closer to 802.11b (11 Mbit/s).

Just look around the Internets for an original Airport card. They exist, lots of them, in fact.

The machine HAS an original card. That's not the problem. The problem is that I want to have WPA working on the network. The higher speed is nice, but not essential. But WPA is very desirable...

Oh, I guess I missed that part of the post, sorry. I guess external is the best way to go, but I don't have any experience with this, but I will say that it's probably a good thing to want WPA!

Oh, I guess I missed that part of the post, sorry. I guess external is the best way to go, but I don't have any experience with this, but I will say that it's probably a good thing to want WPA!

No problem. Reading back, I see that I did not make it clear that I already have an old style Airport card, so it's my bad.

No problem. Reading back, I see that I did not make it clear that I already have an old style Airport card, so it's my bad.

I would try this:

http://www.macwireless.com/html/products/1...ards/11gPCI.php

I prefer PCI cards over USB adapters myself, MacWireless is a good company to deal with. The nice thing about this PCI adapter is it requires no software installation if you're using OS X 10.4, it uses Apple's Airport software.

roog

Edited by roogie

I would try this:

http://www.macwireless.com/html/products/1...ards/11gPCI.php

I prefer PCI cards over USB adapters myself, MacWireless is a good company to deal with. The nice thing about this PCI adapter is it requires no software installation if you're using OS X 10.4, it uses Apple's Airport software.

roog

What about the G3 iMacs? Are the airport cards the only way to go on them because i would really like to go wireless on my old guy. I'm running a cat 5e through my floor in the back of my bedroom and this def has to go :D

Cheers

What about the G3 iMacs? Are the airport cards the only way to go on them because i would really like to go wireless on my old guy. I'm running a cat 5e through my floor in the back of my bedroom and this def has to go :D

Cheers

The G3 iMacs could use the USB port version of these wireless adapters, although with those you are most likely using USB 1.1, which is the slower kind. You'd be limited by the speed of the USB port, so getting a 802.11g adapter would be useless, I would opt for the USB 802.11b adapter in that case.

I would not buy that from MacWireless though, the price for that seems really high. Or you could go use the Airport card, which is made to go inside and would get you faster speeds. Finding one at a reasonable price however is getting difficult.

roog

Yeah, Apple killed those off when Airport Extreme came out years ago. It's really irritating because APX cards can't be used in old Airport Macs. The only way to get the nice, fully internal Apple Airport in an older Mac is to shell out ~$100 for an Airport card salvaged out of some other Mac. It's crazy. I don't think it's worth the convenience over a USB or PCI adapter, especially on a desktop.

Actually, come to think of it, the original Airport card in the G4 could probably be sold to cover the costs of the USB/PCI adapter you buy.

Edited by Trium Shockwave