Neil

Mac Tablet

Mac Tablet  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If Apple had a tablet mac would you buy one?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

pieman    0

didnt they already do it. it was called the newton.

didnt they already do it. it was called the newton.

The Newton was more a PDA than a full on tablet. It also used Newton OS, not OS X. Later on the MessagePad 2000 and 2100 came out, as well as the eMate 3000. All of it was too early for its time I'm afraid. Thats how I look at it anyways.

Rob    0

Newton: I agree that it wasn't a tablet computer; it was a PDA; however, although very powerful and well made, it was simply too big to be an effective PDA. The Newtons had thousands of more features than the original Palms, but the Palms took off because of form factor. I love my Newton, though. I put it in a box frame and display it above my iMac.

Tablet: I'd seriously consider an Apple Tablet P.C., but it would need a few specific features.

#1: A full version of OSX

#2: All the features of standard low end laptop or better

#3: A touch screen, stylus, and handwriting recognition (Duh!)

#4: Keyboard and drives could be attachable with some type of dock.

I've thought for a long time that a tablet PC would be perfect for high school and possibly college students. Many, many high school students type like crap, so the handwriting recognition is very important. (Every year it amazes me that a MAJORITY of my students don't know how to use the most basic features in a word processor, e.g. double-spacing & headers.

Also, imagine a school buying site licenses to online versions of textbook and various other resources. During the first days of school, teachers would simply tell students to bookmark the url of their various textbooks. Kids wouldn't need to go to lockers to retrieve books, they'd have access to every book in any class (a real bonus when trying to explain a historic allusion in a literature class), and kids wouldn't kill themselves carrying around 50 pounds of books.

Just my thoughts,

-Rob

houltmac    254

I completely agree with Rob; as usual.

If Apple were to make a MacBook which was as thin as the display for both halves and was as light as they could possibly make it (perhaps the docking station would contain things like the optical drive, even the hard drive and have a ton of flash memory) then I would be in. It would need a keyboard I think as Microsoft have shown that onscreen keyboards don't work and frankly suck.

Something like the swing pivot notebook tablets would be ideal although it would be a complete design overhaul for cabling (as engineers will have noted no doubt). It'd be tough to do something so thin and light, and still make it so very different from the competitors, but it would sell like nothing else. I see it happening, I still believe it's the way forward for mobile computing, especially in education.

Xerox made leaps with this technology, but little of it surfaced; much like printing.

I also think that OS X would be a key player, but it won't happen any time soon. I see the innovations in things such as Leopard and MacBooks and I think it will happen, but Leopard is aiming at the wrong end of the right scale with text-to-speech and so on. Handwriting recognition is much more powerful, accurate, useful and realistic than speech so let's hope that's the way it goes. Now all we have to do is leave the defined area.

A few more years, but I really think it's on it's way. In the mean time, I'll keep dreaming of the ultimate mobile computer.

Neil    0

All Apple would have to do (not implying that it would be a easy thing..) is make the hardware. Add some handwriting recognition to Mac OS X (they kinda already have that with InkWell but I don't know how good it is). Also, OS X was designed to never need a right click, thus, a pen like device on a touch-screen would be very effective. This is why I don't think Windows Tablets are that great... because you almost need a right click in Windows, and with a pen it becomes impracticable.

The dock (not a docking station) would make an excellent way to launch applications with a tablet.

About a "docking station", that would be nice, but I would want a hard drive on the tablet itself. If Apple put flash hard drive technology in this that would be so sweet. That would make tablets really effective. I would assume that would make it lighter, thinner, and have much better battery life.

Rob    0

Apple's InkWell handwriting recognition is taken directly from the Newton's 3rd generation software. Although I've never seen it used in OS X and despite the fact that the Newton's 1.0 version of handwriting recognition was REALLY bad, by the time the Newton was canceled the AI and learning algorithms in the handwriting software were very, very impressive. It actually learned the handwriting of the main user. My handwriting is quite messy, and my Newton rarely made a mistake.

-Rob

BTW, the right-click thing is a good observation. I hadn't even thought of that.

Wildercat    0

I think the idea of a tablet mac is great. Whether I would like it as a full on computer by itself, or more of a supplementary system, sort of a terminal, I don't know. As far as being a secondary system, I absolutely love the idea of it that way. For example, say I have a Macworld article I want to read while I'm in bed, I don't want to print it out, because it'll take five minutes to print it, and then I'll read it in half the time. It's really hard to read a laptop lying down, so if I just grabbed my tablet mac that was ether like a thin client interface to my own computer or just a "ultra portable mac" that would have access the the web I would be able to surf that web and just do minor stuff that didn't require a full blown computer. I've got too many thoughts about it to type, so maybe I'll make a voice comment to send to Adam.

Hope that made sense.

cherry su    0

OWC sells a mac tablet called the ModBook. Looks nice, but it's too expensive for what it does ($2279 or something). I'd rather go for a MBP or get a Hackintosh ;)

John Bowdler    40

Would I buy it?...in a heart beat!

zionlion    0
modbook-mw-2.jpg

More images here

What happened to the ModBook? has anyone played with one/bought one? It seemed to have paled into insignificance.

Iy42    0

I would buy it so that I could pretend to be in Star Trek.

goodapple    23

I think I would rather just get a new screen.

Gospel    2

I'd buy a MacTablet in a heart beat as well. I'd like to see the following features:

7" 1280x800 touchscreen (finger and stylus for finer control)

ARM/Intel dual core processor hybrid (one core ARM, one core Intel)

128GB or 256GB SSD

2GB RAM

2 USB ports (probably be mini-USB)

1 HDMI or mini display port

802.11n

Bluetooth

SDHC card slot (added to my list after WWDC keynote)

Mac OS Xi (Looks like Max OS X & feels like Mac OS X but can also natively run Intel and iPhone apps)

* Can be connected to a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro and be used like a Wacom tablet

* Can easily be tethered to an iPhone

* Handwriting and voice recognition

* VoiceOver

* Virtual Keyboard

* OS support for Bluetooth keyboard

I think that is enough. How is that for a wishlist?! :rolleyes:

Enjoy life!

Steven

Edited by Gospel