memoryleek

Finally!!!

Oh sweetness!!! About 5 minutes ago, the fedex guy delivered my brand new macbook. This thing is friggin sweet. White, 2.0, 80GB, 1GB ram. Awesome!!! I'm grabbing all the updates now and getting framiliar with the new interface. I've been a mac user for a while, but I've never owned one. I'm sure I'll be on here for tips and tricks so thanks all in advance. KICK ASS!

Congrats!! You're going love it. Let us know how it goes.

Congrats!! You're going love it. Let us know how it goes.

Congrats, I hope your macbook doesn't have the problems that mine did. Although I won't mention what they were because it would make you paranoid lol.

Congrats! Treat it like it's the most valuable thing on Earth, since I don't have one yet ;)

Welcome to our world.

Thanks for all the replies! Im loving this thing. I've been updtating and copying over data since it arrived (approx. 9:30am CDT). Right now I'm copying over my itunes library (approx. 30 gigs) and realize that I need more space. I never knew that OS X takes up so much space! Oh well. When this is done, I'll still have 20 gigs to play with. I'm also toying with the thought of running itunes off an external drive. Other than that, I'm good. I do have a question for all:

What key pieces of software should I download?

I already have Senuti and handbrake. Anything else?

Thanks for all the replies! Im loving this thing. I've been updtating and copying over data since it arrived (approx. 9:30am CDT). Right now I'm copying over my itunes library (approx. 30 gigs) and realize that I need more space. I never knew that OS X takes up so much space! Oh well. When this is done, I'll still have 20 gigs to play with. I'm also toying with the thought of running itunes off an external drive. Other than that, I'm good. I do have a question for all:

What key pieces of software should I download?

I already have Senuti and handbrake. Anything else?

If you want you could do a clean install of OSX before you get all set up. If you are careful to only install the essentials you can get the size of OSX down considerably. You could also buy a 160GB drive and swap it with the one your macbook came from. Then use the one that came with your computer in a external enclosure. You will have a lot of storage for not much money.

Congratulations on the new MacBook.

Yeah, definately a good thing to do is do a fresh install of OS X and customize exactly what you do and don't want on there. If you've already got a lot set up and don't want to do that at this point, find and run a program called Monolingual to get rid of the extra languages you won't use (about 2gb). MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE EVERYTHING UNDER THE ARCHITECTURES TAB OR YOU WILL BREAK ROSETTA.

The other things coming preinstalled that are taking up a lot of space are the trials of MS Office and iWork, as well as iDVD and Garage Band due to all the themes and samples. If you're not going to use them, go ahead and trash Office and iWork. iDVD and Garage Band are a little trickier, but we can help you get rid of them if you don't plan to use them either.

Without excess languages, printer drivers, and additional software OS X needs less than 4gb of space.

Yeah, definately a good thing to do is do a fresh install of OS X and customize exactly what you do and don't want on there. If you've already got a lot set up and don't want to do that at this point, find and run a program called Monolingual to get rid of the extra languages you won't use (about 2gb). MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE EVERYTHING UNDER THE ARCHITECTURES TAB OR YOU WILL BREAK ROSETTA.

The other things coming preinstalled that are taking up a lot of space are the trials of MS Office and iWork, as well as iDVD and Garage Band due to all the themes and samples. If you're not going to use them, go ahead and trash Office and iWork. iDVD and Garage Band are a little trickier, but we can help you get rid of them if you don't plan to use them either.

Without excess languages, printer drivers, and additional software OS X needs less than 4gb of space.

With monolingual, i got a question. I know you said everything but even the Intel architecture? Just want to be 100% sure. I'd hate to have to reinstalll the os again.

With monolingual, i got a question. I know you said everything but even the Intel architecture? Just want to be 100% sure. I'd hate to have to reinstalll the os again.

yes everything under the architectures tab.

I dont delete the languages. I dont want to screw up my system.

get firefox, stuffit, skype, google earth and sketchup, image tricks, and some other things that cost $$.

Edited by applgeek

With Monolingual, anything you leave checked will get ripped out of the system. You don't want any of the architectures removed, so uncheck them. I don't know why they have those on by default.

If you just boughta mac, simply erase your hard drive and reinstall. When you install, click options and uncheck the extra languages. No monolingual or warranty expiration required.

It isn't OS X taking the space, but the software (iLife, etc) that's included. Put stuff that you don't need on an external drive. Worldbook is great if they're still including it, but I rarely use it, and it is 2+ GB.

It's funny, we claim the software package is part of the value of a Mac, but the first thing we do is rip it all off. That said, all that iLife stuff is great software for its purpose, I just don't do that kind of stuff much, so I leave it off until I need it.

Congratulations! My sister also recently got a brand new macbook. I've been playing around with it for two days and it rocks! :) I bet you won't regret your purchase. ;)

It's funny, we claim the software package is part of the value of a Mac, but the first thing we do is rip it all off.

This is something that I actually need to do. I still have the Office and iWork eval packages on my Mac from when I purchased it. :)

Congratulations!

You have taken your first step into a larger world.