The Dead Herring

Things We Don't Hate In Windows

Don't get me wrong, I love macs as much as any of you lot. But I thaught it would be interesting to compile a list of things that we don't hate in are not so favorite operating system: Windows XP.

Don't see the title and immediately say "NOTHING, WINDOWS SUCKS! BURN THE TRAITOR!" really try to rack your brains into thinking of at least one thing you don't hate about windows. Yes it will be hard, for some almost impossible, but all I am asking is for you to try.

Personally, the thing I don't hate about windows is its gaming compatability, I suppose it isn't because windows is good, but just because it is the market leader more games come out for it.

Another thing I don't mind about windows is the Logo, take off the text and it's pretty cool (thats one where you will really have to remove all the negative connotations of the image from the min)

I've been thinking for some minutes now.. I use XP every day at work, so the memory of it's use is still fresh in my mind. All I can come up wth right now is where os x is superior to xp... Allow me to sit back and think for some minutes. Im not a gamer, so I dont really give a shit about that part, and like you pointed out, thats not a win thing, thats the companies making the games being fuckheads.

I'm sorry, I can't remember the last time XP impressed me with doing something my mac can't do better.

i used to love when my windows PC would get viruses and i would have to bring it in. not only did i get to spend money on the economy and help out useless anti-virus developing companies. but my car also got some use as i would have to drive and drop off the computer to get repaired. OH wait, there is more... i also loved how much more challenging it was to do simple tasks. that machine always kept it interesting with those error messages..... oh those error messages, how i miss them.

Windows Media Center is a bit better than FrontRow.

The ablity to drop to a command prompt and shell out some DOS commands and acutally know what I'm doing. Without using google.

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006

MS Access 2003

2003 and exchange server management tools

Having the in depth expert knowledge of why things arent working vs having only superficial knowledge of how everything works perfectly.

I think keyboard navigation is much better in Windows.

Explorer is much better than the Finder.

i used to love when my windows PC would get viruses and i would have to bring it in. not only did i get to spend money on the economy and help out useless anti-virus developing companies. but my car also got some use as i would have to drive and drop off the computer to get repaired. OH wait, there is more... i also loved how much more challenging it was to do simple tasks. that machine always kept it interesting with those error messages..... oh those error messages, how i miss them.

The last I checked your inability to read had nothing to do with MS software. And just because you're not knowledgeable enough to A avoid viruses (which 90% of PC users do) B use free software for protection. It's also not the fault of MS. Tasks are just as simple to perform on Windows as on Mac.

Simple things like creating a new folder, deleting things, installing software, and uninstalling software.

I also like how the uninstall programs remove all the junk they install (usually). Unlike many OSX apps which leave junk in the library folder all the time.

Edited by Goatman

The last I checked your inability to read had nothing to do with MS software. And just because you're not knowledgeable enough to A avoid viruses (which 90% of PC users do) B use free software for protection. It's also not the fault of MS. Tasks are just as simple to perform on Windows as on Mac.

Simple things like creating a new folder, deleting things, installing software, and uninstalling software.

I also like how the uninstall programs remove all the junk they install (usually). Unlike many OSX apps which leave junk in the library folder all the time.

Microsoft Mice is much better than Mighty Mice.... MM vs. MM..... :P

first, i had anti-virus software installed and still would get spyware and have to run scans and everything else to make sure windows could handle itself. its a joke and dont try to act like its not a big deal

second, my computer isnt the one that got viruses, my grandparents first computer was windoze and they found it much harder to use than their new imac. they are mad at me for not making them buy the mac years ago when they were looking first.

tasks are not as simple on ms. the error message after error message when you are trying to do an otherwise simple task does not make the work go faster.

everything is seamless on a mac and thats one of the reasons they are becoming so popular.

and this is a MAC forum, why is this even in here? just decided it was time to rip on mac?

Microsoft Mice is much better than Mighty Mice.... MM vs. MM..... :P

i have both, i like my wireless MM 10X more

It annoys me in OS X that you can only re-size open windows by using the handle in the lower right hand corner. In XP you can resize windows on any edge, allowing you to also re-size in just one plane if you desire.

However on OS X I much prefer the way you can move open windows by click-dragging on places other than just the title bar.

first, i had anti-virus software installed and still would get spyware and have to run scans and everything else to make sure windows could handle itself. its a joke and dont try to act like its not a big deal

second, my computer isnt the one that got viruses, my grandparents first computer was windoze and they found it much harder to use than their new imac. they are mad at me for not making them buy the mac years ago when they were looking first.

tasks are not as simple on ms. the error message after error message when you are trying to do an otherwise simple task does not make the work go faster.

everything is seamless on a mac and thats one of the reasons they are becoming so popular.

and this is a MAC forum, why is this even in here? just decided it was time to rip on mac?

i have both, i like my wireless MM 10X more

of course your Mighty Mouse is better (even though the MM is a halfbaked idea that doesn't work and was a terrible idea tot start.)

I actually think it's because people on this forum are independent thinkers and would like to see improvement in the software they use everyday. They realize that some other company does something better and would like to see it in OS X.

No one's bashing the Mac, they are just suggesting improvements, maybe you shouldn't be such a fanboy and you would see.

It really isn't a big deal... if you use Firefox and don't randomly click on things in e-mail, you're just fine. that is honestly all I do and I haven't been infected.

Edited by Goatman

DirectX (unified game development API)

Right mouse button support (OS X has it, Windows has it better)

I'll second window resizing

SyncToy is pretty nice

Video codecs, mostly of the obscure/open source variety that no Quicktime component exists for

Im guessing you havent used a mac much... Simple and complx tasks are much easier and faster to do on a mac. The only thing from that list thats true is the "creating a new folder" big deal. Installing/uninstalling software in windows takes forever, you always have to run installers and uninstaller's. On a mac you somethimes have installers for apps, but its normily you download a disk image and can run the program right from there, or drag it to the applications folder to install.

I think apple should add a 15" and 17" "macbook" as well as a 12" or 13" "macbook pro"

But thats hardware

Im guessing you havent used a mac much... Simple and complx tasks are much easier and faster to do on a mac. The only thing from that list thats true is the "creating a new folder" big deal. Installing/uninstalling software in windows takes forever, you always have to run installers and uninstaller's. On a mac you somethimes have installers for apps, but its normily you download a disk image and can run the program right from there, or drag it to the applications folder to install.

I think apple should add a 15" and 17" "macbook" as well as a 12" or 13" "macbook pro"

But thats hardware

finally someone to back me up in here, i was getting ganged up on... i dont know about the 17" MB, but i would like to see a MB in the metal MBP casing

thats the companies making the games being ****heads.

I'm suprised you havn't been banned already.

Edited by The Dead Herring

I really like the ability to connect to a ftp account and read+WRITE from explorer.

In OSX, you can only read when you mount a ftp volume. You have to use 3rd party software to write.

Windows directx is superior to quartz for gaming. Quartz is superior for anti-aliased graphics.

I keep them side by side, and as far as the cases go they both look pretty slick.

th_panorama.jpg

Edited by jasonium

I've been using both a Mac and a PC for years. I actually don't find Windows installers annoying. and without an app like AppZapper you have to search around your library folder to find everything. Spotlight has made it a little easier but it's still annoying.

DirectX is one of the smartest things MS has done in years.

DirectX (unified game development API)

Right mouse button support (OS X has it, Windows has it better)

I'll second window resizing

SyncToy is pretty nice

Video codecs, mostly of the obscure/open source variety that no Quicktime component exists for

meet VLC. your buddy for every type of video file ever.

the only real thing i want is native uninstall...

DirectX is one of the smartest things MS has done in years.

direct x has been around since windows 95 and i happen to think that this is one of the main reasons why the xbox has been so successful. they use the same programming for both.

i also prefer the look of windows media player 11 i like to customise things and itunes doesnt give me that ability.

also xp would have more goin for it if it released an update every 12 months. look if microsoft werent so concerned abut what there customers wanted they could have released vista ages ago instead they want ot get it right so there taking there time.

i like the silly penguin sound when u press the shift key 5 times rapidly on XP. annoys the heck out of other people sitting near me on the computers =D

Most definitely. Keyboard navigation in OSX leaves A LOT to be desired for those of us who don't always like to take our hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse, find the mouse pointer on the screen and then move it where we want to go -- much less the ability to perform functions with the keyboard which are not on the first-level menu but 3 or sometimes 4 menus deep. Oh, and changing slider controls with the keyboard. What is Apple thinking with the "guess at how far to move the slider" design?

What I don't hate most about Windows is that it's remarkably similar (for obvious reasons) to OS/2 where I spent a good 5 years between 1996 and 2001. It's shallow compared to what OS/2 could do, but using the system is very much similar. Moving to MacOS X was quite different.

meet VLC. your buddy for every type of video file ever.

Oh, VLC and I go way back. It does support just about every video format under the sun, but how well is a whole other issue. VLC is dependent on the ffmpeg library for its codecs, so if ffmpeg is a little weak on a new format, VLC will struggle. It's better now on the Intels, since we don't have to wait for optimization to be done for ffmpeg on PPC (its support for Matroska on PPC is still ungodfully slow). Still, ffmpeg does occasionally hit a file it doesn't like, and VLC crashes like it's behind the wheel with a case of beer in it. It's a real pain to be completely dependent on that one decoder library for everything. Also, VLC's built-in ffmpeg library isn't system-wide like Windows codecs and Mac Quicktime components are, so it can't help you when it's time to import clips into say iMovie. There is a way to use VLC to transcode video, but that's one more generation of compression your poor video has to endure.

Probably my reply would be Windows system restore (though hopefully Time Machine will be a brilliant solution for that) and Scandisk is better than Disk Utility IMO.

Which brings me to an interesting Q I've wondered for a while, Why is there no Disk Defragmenter for OSX? Is it because OSX deals with files better than Windows and so optimizing the order of the files on the disk wouldn't change anything or is it something else?

Apple says there's no defragmenter because you don't need to worry about it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

This argument of course has waged back and forth across the Internet for years, not just on OS X but Windows XP too. I can only speak from personal experience having used OS X for 4 years, and frequently adding and deleting large 175mb–1.5gb video files to and from my startup disk, and I've never seen a slowdown or other indication I needed to defragment.

Defragging was introduced in Panther, but only for files less than 20Mb.

"Under certain circumstances, Panther will defragment files automatically. You can read the thread in Macintoshian Achaia for all the gory details, but the short answer is that fragmented files less than 20MB large on journaled HFS+ disks are defragmented automatically in Panther when they are opened, whether for reading or for writing."

Generally, HFS+ seems to deal with file fragmentation better than NTFS, but presumably under 20Mb the file system needs help, which this feature addresses.

So, no you don't need to run a separate program to optimise the system.

I'm re-quoting ars from this thread.

Oh, VLC and I go way back. It does support just about every video format under the sun, but how well is a whole other issue. VLC is dependent on the ffmpeg library for its codecs, so if ffmpeg is a little weak on a new format, VLC will struggle. It's better now on the Intels, since we don't have to wait for optimization to be done for ffmpeg on PPC (its support for Matroska on PPC is still ungodfully slow). Still, ffmpeg does occasionally hit a file it doesn't like, and VLC crashes like it's behind the wheel with a case of beer in it. It's a real pain to be completely dependent on that one decoder library for everything. Also, VLC's built-in ffmpeg library isn't system-wide like Windows codecs and Mac Quicktime components are, so it can't help you when it's time to import clips into say iMovie. There is a way to use VLC to transcode video, but that's one more generation of compression your poor video has to endure.

Perian might be what you are looking for. Also, MPlayer for OS X (from mplayerhq.hu, NOT the one from mplayerosx.sourceforge.net) frequently comes in handy for me. Whether or not VLC or MPlayer plays better depends on what the file format is and what the CPU used is.

Regarding the thread's main subject:

• An uninstall manager would still be nice, since several apps need to run uninstallers to successfully uninstall.
  • I often accidentally press cmd-w when wanting to close the inspector window, which causes the window underneath to close. Instead, I wish I could just close the inspector window with cmd-w.
  • Text selection oddities.
  • Text field undo/redo is available by default on Windows, while it is usually not available on OS X.

While these are more of an Application-specific gripe rather than the entire OS:

• Text undo/redo feature introduced in Safari 2.0 is still shaky. For example, switching between tabs clears the undo/redo history.
  • When doing search from the Google search bar, it modifies the find clipboard value. Was this actually intended behaviour?
  • The ungodly marriage of the stop and reload button in Safari. It's a stop button until a nanosecond before you click on it, when it turns into a reload button! I actually have the stop/reload button removed from the Address Bar because menu / keyboard shortcuts work better for me than it.
  • Spring-loaded folders are useful during drag and drop, but I have to also enable sliding windows in order to use it. A Finder window slides underneath the object I'm trying to drop, triggered when any portion of that window is off-screen. This rarely has any use, and frequently causes drag and drop failures. I can reposition a window myself if need be - in fact, it forces me to reposition Finder windows before D&D just to prevent this annoying behaviour from occurring in the first place.

Edited by rhatta