Mikey

Darn Tiger 10.4.8 Update

15 posts in this topic

O.K. I just updated my OS on my Macbook Pro to the latest OS which is 10.4.8. When I was done with the update my machine rebooted twice (which from the look of things is the norm). Once rebooted everything seemd to be in order. I needed to work in Photoshop, so I launch it and imediatly it crashes....over and over again. I re-install it and I get more of the same. Freakin' bugs!!

Is anyone having this same problem? I have a hunch the answer is yes. Is there any way around this (Plug-in, Update), or do I have to wait for CS3? (BTW which would suck for me time wise :angry:

In the Adobe Illustrator forum, users on Intel Macs are complaining that the update broke the Pathfinder tools. Any time you try to use the Pathfinder the program crashes. The only suggestion they have right now is to go back to 10.4.7.

Mikey, I just checked out the Adobe Photoshop forum, and 10.4.8 update seems to have went smoothly for them.

Did you repair your permissions after the update?

I updated to the 10.4.8 version and run PS CS2 and AI CS2 both with no problems thus far. Can you give any further details about other system or applcations running etc. RAM.

mm66

Mikey, I just checked out the Adobe Photoshop forum, and 10.4.8 update seems to have went smoothly for them.

Did you repair your permissions after the update?

Im not quite sure how to do that. Could you enlighten me.

I updated to the 10.4.8 version and run PS CS2 and AI CS2 both with no problems thus far. Can you give any further details about other system or applcations running etc. RAM.

mm66

Well the Vers. of Photoshop I'm using is Photoshop CS (the first). On a Macbook Pro 2 Ghz/80 GB/512 MB Ram.

All of you guys help is greatly appreciated. I hope this helps some one with the same prob.

Im not quite sure how to do that. Could you enlighten me.

It is recommended that you repair your permissions before and after any installation.

To do this, go to your applications folder and to the Utilities folder. Open Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and under the First Aid tab click Repair Disk Permissions and let it run.

It is recommended that you repair your permissions before and after any installation.

To do this, go to your applications folder and to the Utilities folder. Open Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and under the First Aid tab click Repair Disk Permissions and let it run.

Did what you suggested and my Photoshop CS continued to crash. It gives me the promt "The Application Photoshop quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X & other applications are not affected" I think the best thing to do is to an archive and install. Im not to worred about security so I don't see the big deal in downgrading. Should have known better though, I should have given it a week or two before I upgraded. This makes me sort of nervous about buying Lepoard right when It drops. :mellow:

Did you try deleting your Photoshop preferences and .plist file?

This makes me sort of nervous about buying Lepoard right when It drops.

Absofreakinlutely. I'm still waiting for all the MacPro bugs to show themselves and let all the good little guinea pigs fix them for me before I invest...

mm66

I'm still waiting for all the MacPro bugs to show themselves and let all the good little guinea pigs fix them for me before I invest...

About that. I've heard very little about MacPro problems. I mean, it's been out for a little while now... Could be that just to few people have bought them yet? Or that the pro users buying them are geeks enough to fix a lot of the problems?

Did you try deleting your Photoshop preferences and .plist file?

Nope didn't try that but alas its too late. I did an archive and install. I'm comfortably back in 10.4.7. Ill up grade when Mac OS 10.5 comes out. I suggest the same to everyone out there running Adobe Creative suite 1

on there MAC Intel sytem

Bummer, I'm curious if that would have fixed it. Deleting preferences is the first thing you should do when encountering a problem.

Nope didn't try that but alas its too late. I did an archive and install. I'm comfortably back in 10.4.7. Ill up grade when Mac OS 10.5 comes out. I suggest the same to everyone out there running Adobe Creative suite 1

on there MAC Intel sytem

I agree. I haven't had any probs with my macbook pro until this one upgrade deal. I very happy with my purchase (especially being a pro user that upgraded from a iBook G3) Besides my machine getting sort of on the warm side, I absolutly love it. Now If I could only find a worthy bag to carry it in..

Edited by Mikey

Now If I could only find a worthy bag to carry it in..

Crumler Cheesy Disco. I carry my MBP in one, and it's great. It feels light, the machine is snug in it, and even though I've been in rain storms with it, it's always been kept a 100% dry.

take a look at Cocktail, and clean system cache and permissions.

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/download.html

From the OWC Newsletter...

Quick Tip: Keeping OS X up to Speed

I don't pretend to know the details of why OS X doesn't take care of these things itself. What I do know is that repairing permissions and cleaning up OS X system cache files can both eliminate application problems as well as keep performance up to peak.

When file access permissions get out of whack applications can run slower, have problems performing certain operations, or even unexpectedly quit during use. Repairing the permissions brings file access rights back into proper line so the resources are available correctly as various applications make use of file resources.

Cleaning up your OS X Cache requires some 3rd party help - short of reinstalling your OS from scratch. When I recently installed 10.4.8 Update, boy did my system come to a screeching halt. Everything was running, but window redraws were agonizingly slow and it made every operation requiring a window move or opening very painful. While I only first noticed this after doing the update, this sort of 'phenomenon' can occur independently just from normal use too and repairing the permissions doesn't take care of an excess or corrupted OS cache file issue.

For owners of Macs with a PowerPC processor I highly recommend AppleJack - which we've covered in a prior quicktip. Unfortunately, Applejack is not an option for the Intel Macs. There is apparently some bug that prevents command line execution of the needed tasks where the Intel Mac is booted to Single User mode - and that's something Apple has to fix before AppleJack will come out for Intel Macs.

But, another option that is available for Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs alike is Cocktail. This application runs under OS X via the finder just like any application and allows the manual running of various maintenance options (including the important cache cleaning and permissions repair) as well automated scheduling of this maintenance as well. Unlike AppleJack, this application is ShareWare - so it is not free, but they'll let you use it ten times before making you buy. For those that need it or see a the uses beyond that which AppleJack provides, I personally find Cocktail well worth $14.95 you'll pay to own it clear.