chrishoo

Sleep using Remote Control

It is documented on the Apple KB, but it was the first time I heard of it when my 2 1/2 year old son got hold of the remote, pressed the play/pause button for more then 3 seconds and the computer went to sleep! There was a little translucent graphic (ala Dashboard/Expose) showing the remote and some zzzs just before the computer went to sleep.

Apparently, you can wake the computer using the remote as well, but I think this feature is more obvious.

Thought I'd share this with you all. Also, my son is only 2 and he's already teaching me about tech... kids these days :rolleyes:

Edited by chrishoo

Hahaha, brilliant story. I actually found out about this at work a couple of weeks ago. I was trying to bring up the eyeTV2 menu (holding the menu button rather than tapping it for FrontRow) and somehow hit the wrong button (I don't know how either). Suuddenly 3 Macs went to sleep. I guess the lesson here is that you shouldn't keep your Macs so close if you wanna use IR.

You can control iTunes and DVD Player outside of Front Row, control Elgato eyeTV products... With haxes you can control a lot of things, even the cursor but that's all I know in terms of Tiger.

I think if you hold down the menu button when booting it takes you to the bootcamp screen where you can use the skip buttons to pick which volume you want to boot off it.

I think I read this somewhere but I don't rember.

nice trick! i like the graphic. now i can sleep the computer from my bed!