Sign in to follow this  
spooie

EyeTV to DVD... how is the video quality?

I'm planning to order a 20" iMac from Apple tonight, and pick up the EyeTV 250 to go along with it over the next week. My plan is to start converting TV shows and old VHS tapes to DVD next week when I go on vacation, and of course, it would be nice to play/record some game footage on the Mac without the latent issues.

But before I buy it, I'm just curious to know how the video quality is from using the EyeTV and burning it to DVD. Compared to an incoming video/audio signal, is it the same quality or lesser? How is the compression? Is there any flicker watching them on TV from burning out if iDVD? I had read that there was some initially, and that Toast was the better way to do, but the DVD production aspects weren't as nice as iDVD's setup it.

Anyway... I've owned a G4 for 7 years, but I'm fairly new to DVD burning and TV Tuners, so any comments/suggestions on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The actual video quality largely depends on the kind of TV signal you are going to receive. If it's digital then EyeTV will record the MPEG stream it receives 1:1 and picture quality will be fine. If it's analogue, the signal will be digitized which will decrease already mediocre quality even more. As for converting VHS tapes: The quality will only be as high as that of the VHS cassettes, i.e. just because you're digitizing them, they won't ever reach true DVD quality.

I've got a related question with the EyeTV 250; since it is not a Firewire DV capture device (which the previous EyeTV 200 was, I believe) how long does it take to import video into iMovie after capturing it with the EyeTV software? On my G4 PowerMac I had a Canopus ADVC-50 PCI card (incompatible with G5 Macs due to voltage) and it would let me capture directly into iMovie in real time. But with a non-Firewire device, if you must first capture in real time and then import into iMovie (which is notoriously slow when importing existing video files) that would be terrible; not to mention making one already large file into two large files. Thanks!