Sign in to follow this  
ithonicfury

Handbrake quality

Im trying to rip some stuff from DVDs to put on my HTPC (running Windows Media Center 2005), but the picture is blocky and overall not very good (looks worse then shows recorded on my cheap PVR card and converted to XviD with smaller file sizes)

For a 30 minute episode the settings I'm using are 200mb target file size, 720x480 resolution, deinterlace, 192kbps mp3 audio (2ch), 2-pass encoding.

What are good settings I can use to minimize the blocking and improve the quality? Or a program better than Handbrake to do rip them with?

720x480 seems like a lot of resolution to expect from 400MB/hr - which in turn reduces your color palette to compensate and thus may look "blockier", especially on dark areas. You might try Constant Quality at 90% for comaprison. That will select resolution based on source material. File size will vary according to the source, but something around 500MB/hr.

I bet you can get much better advice reading old posts on the Handbrake Forum.

Depending on what you're grabbing ... I've grabbed hour long videos off a DVD using HandBrake with the bitrate option set to 780 Kbps (rather than setting a target file size) and the videos come out looking quite good and the size (for a 1 hour video) is just over 300megs. For a half hour video, that ought to easily get under 200megs and still look just as good.