Pharaoh

Convince me to buy a Macbook

Hey People,

i'm from down under Australia :D

and i have always been a windows user :o and am 17years old and about to start University/College

now i wanted to buy a macbook for use at uni and need you enthusiasts to convince my a macbook is better than a PC laptop (Dell or the like)

also i will be using it for a number of Presentation where it will be connected to a Data Projector at my church so am wondering if i would experience any issues with that

i also need to maintain cross compatability with Microsoft Powerpoint to allow other people to help me with these presentations so if you could tell me equivalent mac osx programs that can use powerpoint files and are compatable...

i have heard the Microsoft Office for Mac runs very badly on the new Intel based mac as they were written for PPC.. is this accusation true...

thankyou very much for your help...

i hope you can convince me that a macbook would fulfill my needs as they look sooooooooooo sexy...

pics of your macbooks in their native environments would also help :)

Hi,

I just bought a MacBook (less than 48hrs) and am loving it. As a windows/linux switcher I was expecting to be amazed by it! But it has surpassed all expectations.

I don't know if the Mac version of MS Office has powerpoint included, but even if it doesn't I would seriously consider OpenOffice.org which does have cross-compatability with MS Office. Actually although MS Office beats OpenOffice on most counts, the presentation app is much better. I have used OO.o for quite some time for my uni work, and although it isnt quite as good as MS Office on the PC it is free and you will get used to it. Forgetting the MacBook hardware for a minute - wouldn't it be better to have a not quite so good version of office running on THE BEST, and most stable operating system?

As for connecting it to a projector, I've not seen it done, but looking at the hardware specs, it should be a breeze - has anyone else done this?

Seriously though, sort your life out - buy a Mac - I've done it, and I don't see myself looking back.

I would much rather try to convince you to buy ME a MacBook, I'd gladly take a white or black one. :-)

roog

Hey People,

i'm from down under Australia :D

and i have always been a windows user :o and am 17years old and about to start University/College

now i wanted to buy a macbook for use at uni and need you enthusiasts to convince my a macbook is better than a PC laptop (Dell or the like)

also i will be using it for a number of Presentation where it will be connected to a Data Projector at my church so am wondering if i would experience any issues with that

i also need to maintain cross compatability with Microsoft Powerpoint to allow other people to help me with these presentations so if you could tell me equivalent mac osx programs that can use powerpoint files and are compatable...

i have heard the Microsoft Office for Mac runs very badly on the new Intel based mac as they were written for PPC.. is this accusation true...

thankyou very much for your help...

i hope you can convince me that a macbook would fulfill my needs as they look sooooooooooo sexy...

pics of your macbooks in their native environments would also help :)

I have not done it a lot, but I have hooked up my Powerbook G4 to projectors at my office with no problems whatsoever. I'm not good with the names of different connection ports, so I can't explain exactly how I did it. I can say that I used an adapter that came with my PB that converted from the Mac to a standard PC monitor cable. Just pluggged it in and it worked. Of course things could've changed between the PB G4 days and the new Macbook's, but in general I would guess you will have no problems getting it to work with a standard projector.

MS Office for Mac works very well for me, in general. I can create Word or PowerPoint documents on my Mac, give them to some of my Windows-based coworkers, and they never know the difference. I have found a couple areas where I've hit problems though:

• Auto-generated tables of contents, indexes, etc. seem to be flaky when moving from PC to Mac or Mac to PC
  • PowerPoint transitions within slides can be flaky. I've had problems putting together a slide where I can click repeatedly to add more components to a diagram. The transition effects to progressively add content to a slide did not work at all when I moved it over to the PC

In general, I think you will find MS Office compatibility to be pretty good between the Mac and the PC versions. If you use some of the more advanced features, however, you might hit some bugs. I cannot say whether those incompatibilities are better or worse than the OpenOffice solution because I have barely used OpenOffice.

I wouldn't worry about running Office on the Intel macs. My wife uses it constantly on her iMac with no complaints. I also work with a lot of people who bring their MacBooks in to work and use Office for all their work. I'm sure it can (and will) improve over time, but I have not known anyone who considers it to be a significant problem for them.

Hope that helps -

- Tim

Well, if you are thinking about switching, then you just should - I found that most people already have their minds made up and are looking for arguements that support their decision, not the converse. Saying that, and not having an oppertunity to psychoanalyse you ;) ...

MacBooks are comparable to any PC notebook out there for price/value as long as you configure the PC notebook to include everything that comes with the mac (e.g. built in isight, 13 inch high contrast wide screen, firewire, iLife, etc etc).

As for data projecting - the built in graphics card supports mirroring (seeing the same screen on your laptop and thru the projector) AND monitor spanning (the projector is an extension of your desktop). BUT you will have to buy a mini-DVI -> VGA cable, which retails for about £20 (not sure how much is it in Aust). Otherwise you should not have ANY bother with projectors, my laptop has connected with a whole variety of projectors, always adjusting the right resolution and a very painless procedure.

Powerpoint presentations, as Timothy as eluded to, are generally OK especially if you are moving your mac files over to the PC (with the exception of some fancy transitions which are mac only). BUT if you are moving from PC to mac, watch out for any windows meta files (such as graphs and diagrams) as the fonts might not match up and disappear altogether. Best way around that is to convert the diagrams/graphs to a picture (JPEG) on the PC before trying it on a mac. BOTTOM LINE is that if you are doing any presentations, either do it on your machine, OR test it on the presenting hardware before hand, but that's just general advice.

Microsoft Office is not intel native, but it is not a problem, I've not noticed a big difference in everyday use.

Good luck with the purchase and (hopefully) your future mac life :D

I've had my white macbook for about 2 weeks now and it's awesome. Youre going to love it. I'm not going to try to convince you to buy one because I think you're already convinced and just need some supporting information. As far as office, this is one of my annoyances with some people. Office is NOT native on intel, but ask yourself, "does that really matter?" How fast can you type in word? I've run office 2004 and it works fine for everyday use. Personally, I only use it for excel now. Try iWork. Its wonderful. Pages is a great word processor and Keynote simply wipes the floor with PowerPoint. And both of these programs read and export as Office formats. As for hooking your mac up to a projector, the most important thing is the connection. VGA, DVI, etc... Just be sure you get the right adapter and you'll be fine. I'd love to post a pic of me using my macbook, but I dont have a good pic right now. I'll have one soon.

enjoy your new macbook

There are several adapters that you can buy to connect a MacBook to any number of options, like a VGA monitor, S-video, mini-DVI, etc.

You won't be disappointed! Although you could still buy me one. :-)

roog

I was a long time PC user. Switched to a Macbook Pro about 2 months ago, and I've been very pleased ever since. Output to a projector will not be a problem for you. I believe the default for the video out connection is monitor spanning. At any rate, you can adjust all that and it's easy. I use Office for Mac 2004. Get the updates after you install. I've noticed lags in typing, but nothing major. I was concerned about this at first, but then found out from long time users that Office on Mac has never run very quickly. I'm hoping that MS will get onboard and put out a Universal code version before too long, but that might not be until 2008 given their track record with Office on the PC side. :o

one more question :D

are the files that contain fonts in windows the same ones that are used in Mac OSX

i.e. if i have a font i use on the windows side can it be used on the Mac side as well...????

or does it require a special font file?

i ask cause the powerpoint presentations i do are not entirely in english and use a special font for a langauage which is not supported by any OSs...

thankyou again

one more question :D

are the files that contain fonts in windows the same ones that are used in Mac OSX

i.e. if i have a font i use on the windows side can it be used on the Mac side as well...????

or does it require a special font file?

i ask cause the powerpoint presentations i do are not entirely in english and use a special font for a langauage which is not supported by any OSs...

thankyou again

I believe if you use a font that is not native on the other system, it uses what is deemed closest to it.