martyndarkly

Converting DVDs to Ipod formats

Hello,

I was just wondering if it is possible to convert DVDs I have bought (or enhanced content from CDs) into a format that I can import into my ipod (5th Gen).

I use a G4 iBook running Tiger (latest patches loaded).

Cheers

Martyn

or instant handbrake. even easier.

Instant Handbrake is what I use, it's just got a few options to pick and it works like a charm. I convert TV shows like Law and Order and it will let you pick and choose which episodes you wanna pull off.

Just be sure to move or rename the files it pulls off the DVD, it will overwrite the files it's ripped if the next one you rip is similar.

roog

I am just wondering something. People on this forum, and admins of course, are very sensitive to issues of pirating. If you mention things like hacking someone else's wifi or downloading apps with bittorrent it will be removed. However I routinely see Q&A sessions about how to take DVD's and put them on your ipod. However the Digital Millenium Copyright act clearly makes not only circumventing copy protection, ripping your DVD's, but also telling people how to do it illegal. So why are discussions such as this considered okay? Don't get me wrong it's not like I agree with the law or care about postings here I just wanted to hear what people thought about the issue.

I assume the DVDs refered to were not copy protected. Like those I create for my Vacation movies.

I assume the DVDs refered to were not copy protected. Like those I create for my Vacation movies.

ahhh yes, of course.

I am just wondering something. People on this forum, and admins of course, are very sensitive to issues of pirating. If you mention things like hacking someone else's wifi or downloading apps with bittorrent it will be removed. However I routinely see Q&A sessions about how to take DVD's and put them on your ipod. However the Digital Millenium Copyright act clearly makes not only circumventing copy protection, ripping your DVD's, but also telling people how to do it illegal. So why are discussions such as this considered okay? Don't get me wrong it's not like I agree with the law or care about postings here I just wanted to hear what people thought about the issue.

The DMCA also is not applicable worldwide. Many countries around the world still support fair use, meaning that if I own a commerical DVD, even copyrighted, I am still entitled to crack it so long as I'm doing it for my own personal use.

gekko

The DMCA also is not applicable worldwide. Many countries around the world still support fair use, meaning that if I own a commerical DVD, even copyrighted, I am still entitled to crack it so long as I'm doing it for my own personal use.

gekko

Another excellent point.

Honestly, I don't really care if the DMCA prohibits how I want to use the material I paid for. 99% of the time the law is way behind what technology can do anyway. If I was ripping DVDs and making them available on BitTorrent or any other p2p then I would say yes, come and get me, I'm breaking the law.

I agree that piracy is wrong and you should support not only the producers of media but also software developers as well. However, if technology is such that I can take a season's worth of TV shows and all my music with me to the hospital on my iPod to kill some time when my wife is giving birth to my daughter (in less than 2 weeks!) then I'm going to be bringing my iPod and not a DVD/CD player and 52 discs.

The DMCA is up for being amended to have allowances for "fair use" of copywrited material, eff.org has a great section that lets you send emails to your Representative or Congressman to let them know you support this.

http://action.eff.org/site/Advocacy?id=115

roog

I use mpegstreamclip for DVDs and general video conversion. It's an excellent free converter and has presets for ipods. It also processes batches and will convert from and too very many formats. It's also pretty quick. Definately worth a look

Haydn