Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

Using what your Mac gave ya

Something has been pondering me lately, how many of us here use just the apps that came on the Mac and nothing else, is it possible? Can we survive without the synergys's and the quicksilver's out there. I'm trying to see what its like just using the core apps and that's it (although I've cheated a little already, I just love Hazel and Sizzlingkeys :P). If so how do you use the mac? how do you get the most out of the apps that come with the Mac?

I find it hard to get by without Tiger Launch sitting my menu extras area and giving me quick access to every app in my Applications folder. I have a lot of additional little apps (nothing major like Adobe CS2 or MS Office) but I don't use them frequently. My main uses for my Mac are iChat, iTunes and iMovie.

I live in Scotland, so I can't use iChat as everyone in this country uses MSN as a standard, which iChat does not support, therefore I am stuck with Microsoft Messenger, which to be fair has come on a bit in the last year or two. The mac alternatives are kinda iffy.

At login i have 12 things that open

iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book, Stickies, Grab, Microsoft Messenger, Safari, Mail, iChat (For talking to rest of the family on the network), Quicksilver, Diggupdate (A tool from revision3 that keeps you updated with breaking news on digg.com)

so 10 mac things I really stick too

sometimes use things like switch, handbrake, stuffit, alefox, skype and frostwire when required

For me the most useful application is Tiger itself. I know some say OS' and apps are different, but the amount of built in nuances in Tiger are enough to make it the greatest application that ever was also.

Aside from that I use Mail, Safari, iTunes, TextEdit, Disk Utility, iCal and all the other "Utilities" applications ALL the time. I couldn't live without FileMaker (sadly) because of work, but apart from that and SizzlingKeys I am mostly good to go.

I agree with Matt on the tiger part.

On login I have set iTunes, Last.FM, Adium, Terminal, Firefox and Thunderbird to start.

(Yes, firefox and thunderbird. It's what I'm used to, and they make my life easier, as I use multiple machines on multiple platforms:)) Besides those, I cant live without Transmit and VLC

I have a ton of non apple apps but do mostly stick to apples, i use Microsoft messenger and camino quite often, but thats about it. These are the apps that didnt come with os x: Lightroom beta 4, Aperture 1.5, aMsn, audacity, books, burn, camino, carbon copy cloner, chicken of the vnc, chopper, cocktail, comic life, core duo temp, Crossover, cyber duck, esay iWeb publisher, firefox, fussion, funnyphotographer, Gimpshop, google earth, hand brake, iFreete, image tricks, iSquint, Jacksms, jTemplate, keynote, kismac, liquidcd, m-audio firewire, mactracker, microsoft messenger, neo office, omnioutliner, pages, peak express 4, photo stamps tiger, profcast, quicksilver, real player, redline, Microsoft RDC, rooVid Lite, schoolhouse, screenrecycler, seashore, skype, snapn drage, taco html edit, text to iPod notes, timeline, virture desktops, visual hub, VLC, windows media player, word shaker, Xtorent, yahoo messenger, apple works 6 (yes i still use it for somethings), backuplist+, ford racing, palm desktop, microsoft office, parallels desktop, quicken 2006, sound studio 3, stuffit expander. i think thats it! i always have, iTunes, Mail, Safari, ichat, Text Edit, Quicktime, and preview open

Yeah I realized that I cheated a little more, hehe I got the iWork suite :P. But what I really meant was can we use just Apple apps to GTD :P. Can we survive without quicksilver, synergy, etc. I mean Apple totes says that a Mac has "Everything you need right out of the box"™, how many of us can actually do that. I'm finding that all the apps I used to use I really can do without. My productivity hasn't decreased hardly at all, and I'm trying to find more sites and docs to learn how to maximize the usability of OSX with just OSX and the apps of Apple. I'm learning more and more each day. This is a pretty interesting topic it seems. So are there any users that can do this, and feel happy with it? If so, how do you do it? If not, why and what apps do you think fill the void? I love these kind of discussions :D.

I live in Scotland, so I can't use iChat as everyone in this country uses MSN as a standard, which iChat does not support, therefore I am stuck with Microsoft Messenger, which to be fair has come on a bit in the last year or two. The mac alternatives are kinda iffy.

At login i have 12 things that open

iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address Book, Stickies, Grab, Microsoft Messenger, Safari, Mail, iChat (For talking to rest of the family on the network), Quicksilver, Diggupdate (A tool from revision3 that keeps you updated with breaking news on digg.com)

so 10 mac things I really stick too

sometimes use things like switch, handbrake, stuffit, alefox, skype and frostwire when required

I mostly just use the built in apps, I think that spotlight is just as good as quicksilver. I use MSN Messenger for Mac a lot of the time but somtimes use iChat with Jabber although its not that functional. That is my number one request for iChat is MSN support with Video and Audio support. I do need to get some apps but I have only just got my MacBook and I haven't had the chance to get them. Its only stuff like iWork and MS Office though.

Why don't you try Adium? In my opinion it's much better than Microsoft's thing

Why don't you try Adium? In my opinion it's much better than Microsoft's thing

Does it support video chat and audio chat with my iSight over MSN?

Edited by Fallen Angel

Does it support video chat and audio chat with my iSight over MSN?

No. Adium uses gaimlib.

Will you support features such as voice chat, internet phones, or video chat?

In the short term we have no plans to work on or attempt to integrate patches in these areas. However, one of our developers has created Gaim-vv, a "fork" of Gaim, which will be merged into gaim when a decent subset of voice and video functionality is implemented and stable. Having a separate sourceforge project allows people interested in such features greater access to development while not clogging the main thrust of gaim towards text instant messages.

Apple does give everything you need, but most of us have some other things we want. Also, this crowd isn't exactly the target of that statement. They don't mean they have everything computer geeks like us need, but it'll probably satisfy my dad.

That said, I've slowly realized over the years that the more you just surrender and let the whole Apple integrated thing take over, the easier your life is. That's why I made an effort a short time ago to switch to Safari from Firefox, even though I couldn't manage it. Sorry, just needed those particular extensions. Aside from that, I use iSync, Address Book, Mail, iChat, and iTunes regularly. Lately I've decided to see how much of my video watching I can get running in Quicktime, but no softsub support is guaranteed to send me running back to VLC frequently. Also in the third party camp, I use Parallels, Chicken of the VNC, KisMac, iSquint, TextWrangler, MayJay (Japanese dictionary), RockNES and SNES9x.

I really don't run any applications outside of FileMaker (which I don't know a way around at work) which cost any money. I have extension applications such as SizzlingKeys and Flip4Mac installed but they are hardly stand alone items and only offer extended flexibility. I could easily live without them. I also use MacTracker when GSX is down (or running slow on our internet connection) and also Mail.aappetizer which is just because I am so damned lazy. Again, not applications I need. RealPlayer, Skype and Virtue Desktops are also installed, but I rarely use any of them (RP for instance is a "just in case").

Really the only third party application I need is SuperDuper!. I wouldn't be comfortable without it due to my day job, but then again I keep Disk Utility in the dock so hey. DiskWarrior is also a must for me, but again this is all about work.

I find it simple to work with iCal, Address Book, iChat, iTunes, DVD Player, QuickTime, iLife, Spotlight, Preview, Mail and so on. What isn't covered barring backup (as Trium and I will both vouch, the restore feature has a mind of it's own). I genuinely think it's all covered now, especially now that TextEdit is fully MS Word compatible.

Yeah thats basically what I'm talking about. I think that trium shockwave said it best, "That said, I've slowly realized over the years that the more you just surrender and let the whole Apple integrated thing take over, the easier your life is."

Now like Matt Hoult I have no problem with the extensions (as I am rolling with mail.appetizer too, here's for it being included in Leopard :P) and plugins like flip4mac and Perian.

It just simply amazes if you work with the system how much it will work for you, the only thing that I really miss is easy iCal events and to-do creation with Quicksilver, but that will come in time (leopard ;) ). This just really interested me because I thought that maybe I was missing some cool tricks or set-ups that will make the mac even better. Who else is going "vanilla"? :D

Edited by Mitch

as Trium and I will both vouch, the restore feature has a mind of it's own

The restore feature for what? I'm probably just slow today, but I've no idea what I'm vouching for.

Restore tab in System Preferences Trium, wake up! ;)

I seem to use four different browsers, Camino, Firefox, Safari, and Opera

Camino I have set the default page to my router

Firefox I use for browsing

Safari I also use for browsing

Opera I use as a bittorrent client, about as lightweight as you can get.

Whether I choose Firefox or Safari really depends on how close they are to my mouse pointer!