Sign in to follow this  
seaners

Airport Express Speakers

Which speakers work well with this system. Also, how does it work? I can't find info about connections anywhere?

I know there are people complaining about the life of this product, but it would be really useful for me, as I hate cables and the tinny quality of iBook speakers

Any speakers which have a standard 3.5" analogue input will work. That is, anything with what looks like a headphone jack hole as an input. Even if they don't then adapters will suit most needs.

Almost any speaker or audio system will plug into this somehow, it's just a case of finding the right how. It's all very simple though, the 3.5" output jack on the underside of the basestation runs a lead to the input for the speakers and then you choose the basestation from within iTunes. Simple.

On an ever so slightly connected note(!), isn't it a shame that the ipod hi-fi didn't have a built in airtunes as then all you would need is the single box!

Any speakers which have a standard 3.5" analogue input will work. That is, anything with what looks like a headphone jack hole as an input. Even if they don't then adapters will suit most needs.

Almost any speaker or audio system will plug into this somehow, it's just a case of finding the right how. It's all very simple though, the 3.5" output jack on the underside of the basestation runs a lead to the input for the speakers and then you choose the basestation from within iTunes. Simple.

correction. 3.5mm or 1/8"... unless you use " for mm in UK. i'm not sure. but it doesnt make much difference, you said standard headphone size jack.

I know there are people complaining about the life of this product, but it would be really useful for me, as I hate cables and the tinny quality of iBook speakers

I just gotta say, I love my AirTunes. It's working so perfectly that I dont even think about it before I'm away from my AirPort and iTunes askes if I wanna use the laptop speakers, since it cant find any speakers connected on wlan.

Get some real speakers.

As in, don't get JBL, don't get Apple anything, they all suck and cost too much, seriously.

Go to your local stereo store, find a Cambridge Soundworks, find a really big system, I use the FPS 2000 ("Four Point Surround") system, which is a big subwoofer and 4 speakers. It is normally $200, I got my set for $30 on sale.

Mostly, I use my Sennheiser HD 555 headphones, which blow away anything else that I have ever tried in terms of base or really anything. But they are headphones, and you need and amp to drive them properly, or they are like earbuds. But with an amp (not a $300 headphone amp, I use an ancient stereo receiver and a $4 input cable), they are absolutely amazing and make my speakers, which are really insane, sound like crap. Of course, you can't feel the bass like you can with a giant subwoofer, but you can hear it :P

correction. 3.5mm or 1/8"... unless you use " for mm in UK. i'm not sure. but it doesnt make much difference, you said standard headphone size jack.

I was in a different place last night. Thanks man.