brianlive

My Issues with APPLE CARE

So, I dropped off my 20" Cinema Display at the Apple Store (Burlington) on Friday October 7th. I dropped it off for a couple of issues I was having with the display itself. There were a few bright spots on the screen along with, what looks almost like a screen burn from the dock. I was told they could not replace the display and would have to send it out for service. Nothing that my Apple Care would cover the problems.

On Saturday October 14th, I called the Apple Store to check the status of the display. They told me they would check on it and call me back. Later that day I received a voicemail message from one of the Geniuses saying that he contacted the repair center and the repair was on-hold because the damage was caused by some external damage. Now, when I dropped off the display it was in pristine condition (aside from the issues with the screen itself, which was the reason I was bringing it in for repair) as it had been sitting on my desk from the day it was purchased.

Today, Sunday October 16th, I contacted Apple Care. Apple Care then contacted the Apple Store and confirmed that there was no external damage when it was dropped off. On the work contract the condition of the monitor was listed as "Good." I was told that now with the store's confirmation of the monitor's condition, that my repair would now get the green light and would be started this week. I then asked what this "damage" actually was, she told me that the upper left corner was smashed in and there was also some type of crack on the monitor. I didn't get too many specifics regarding the extent of the damage or exactly where this "crack" was located.

My issue with this is, now when the monitor is repaired, I will be receiving a monitor that has been damaged while it was out of my hands. Possibly causing more issues down the road, where I will have to bring it back into the Apple Store, where they will send it out for repair and I will be without a monitor for more time.

I called Apple Care back and was told there was nothing they could do. They said that Apple was doing this as a courtesy, as there was no proof that the damage was caused by them or the carrier they use. Even though the monitor was in perfect external condition and was noted as "condition: good" on the work order.

It's already been over a week and my monitor is tomorrow (finally) going into actual repair now that it has been signed off on. So I assume it will be about another week before I will possibly have it back in my possession. This has me extremely upset, as I have always had a great experience with Apple the company and all of my Apple products.

If anyone has any feedback please let me know.

the good news is that if you go to pick it up and it is still damaged by "external" factors then you should get a new one.

This simply isn't an acceptable attitude and I would have this escalated if there is the slightest issue when you get it back. I would also ask for it to be tested for 10 mins on a machine in store if possible to check it's order before signing it back in your possession.

going almost a month without it? ridiculous... but i guess thats why apple is being sued

To which lawsuit are you (ipodGod3) referring? I'm not aware of one involving Applecare.

On the topic at hand, I agree with both Matt and IpodGod3. If it has external damage that wasn't present when you submitted it, push the issue.

-Rob

apple is having a class action lawsuit filed against them regarding the MB because they (customers) feel that they are being neglected and apple isnt taking the issues seriously as far as turn around time and actually fixing the faulty products.

i would definitely bring up how much you were inconvenienced by this mistake and how disappointed you are.

They said that Apple was doing this as a courtesy, as there was no proof that the damage was caused by them or the carrier they use. Even though the monitor was in perfect external condition and was noted as "condition: good" on the work order.

That just pisses me off. Apple really has to start taking care of us when something breaks. I've had a couple of iPods gone dead, and I've had to fight Apple all the way to get stuff done. Apple needs to take some lessons from Dell on this. At least in my experiance.

That just pisses me off. Apple really has to start taking care of us when something breaks. I've had a couple of iPods gone dead, and I've had to fight Apple all the way to get stuff done. Apple needs to take some lessons from Dell on this. At least in my experiance.

dell customer service is horrible, i think that apple has the best customer service if you treat them with respect and tell them what you expect from them... and it never hurts to say "i want to speak to a manager/supervisor"

dell customer service is horrible, i think that apple has the best customer service if you treat them with respect and tell them what you expect from them... and it never hurts to say "i want to speak to a manager/supervisor"

Then we have very different experiances. Every time I've had a Dell problem, I've had the part or a technician at my side the day after I call them. No matter if its a LCD TV with a burn in or a keyboard giving me double space or what ever, they've always come through for me.

Then we have very different experiances. Every time I've had a Dell problem, I've had the part or a technician at my side the day after I call them. No matter if its a LCD TV with a burn in or a keyboard giving me double space or what ever, they've always come through for me.

apple has always done what they are supposed to do when i have had a problem. however, i think that the extremely high growth in popularity recently with the MB and ipod has kind of put a damper on their service.

Customer service with big companies is a funny thing. It really comes down to who exactly you wind up dealing with. I've had good and bad experiences with Dell. The one that lost me as their customer had to do with billing. You do not mess with people's money, and I had to call them three times to get this issue resolved, and use some pretty strong language. The last Dell my family bought in '98, the service was great, but then Dell's (and everyone's) customer service has changed quite a bit over the years.

Now, the Apple Store I go to I'm a bit mixed on as well. They're always served me well, and did their job, I just think they're a bit prickish there. Dealing with Apple through my school's IT department was okay. There was a delay getting the invoice once that was annoying since the machine was already returned, but then they also upgraded it from 667mhz to 867mhz as a courtesy due to it being a repeat repair.

When you think about it in terms of say your own job, it makes sense. Not all customers at your place of employment get the same experience do they? It depends on who they dealt with, and how much of a help (or an ass) they felt like being that day. These people are human, like us, and they get in crappy moods and don't feel like dealing with you, another random customer number 3000-whatever. It's still not acceptible by any means, and you should escalate the issue if the person isn't being helpful, but you'll run into it with any company.

I couldn't agree more with Trium here. I personally work for a company who deals not only with thousands of private customers a year, but also a large number of business' and educational facilities too and delivering the same consistent service to each one would be hard even if your standards were low.

I personally don't remember numbers, I make a point of it and that annoys other employees. I see it that even if I am dealing with another unpleasant customer, one in hundreds, I still remember them by name and model of computer. That way there is some kind of connection and I also feel it helps me be more human which in turn makes me less angst-y even when I feel it.

This isn't to say it's the way all reps should deal with clients, just the way that works for me.

Everyone will have a different experience, the idea is to keep those experiences to the highest standard possible and even if you feel awful and don't want to do it, sometimes it can be made up in other ways (such as hurrying the fix along when the part, paperwork or so on comes in the next day). It's a tough part of any job, being the face of the company and trying to deal with standards set to and by you when you just don't feel up to it.

Remember that we are all human, and like they wouldn't necessarily be as "un-helpful" as they are being today everyday, you wouldn't shout or be as ignorant as you may be today everyday. Humanity and understanding from both parties goes a long way to getting everything resolved quickly, satisfactorily and the minimum stress of everyone involved.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I spoke with AppleCare again yesturday. I was told that the repair had been completed. and would be shipping out sometime today. I'm still not positive if my display has been repaired or replaced, but I should know within the next week as it will be returned to the Apple Store.