kiddwnst

What Can I Do With An Old iMac?

Hey everyone, I have an old bondi blue iMac sitting in my garage and I was wondering what fun projects I could use it for. I need to pull it out and see what size hard drive it has, et al but I was thinking something along the lines of setting it up as a server/extra drive or maybe use it as part of a raid array. I don't really know much about these things, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions and maybe some instructions. I don't think I want to turn it into an aquarium just yet. Let me know what you think.

I like the lamp idea, but I have to say I would think about running some server software on there for roaming profiles and the like. Mmmmm...

I'd set it up in my living room, connecto good speakers to it, hook it up to your network via LAN or WiFi and use it as a stereo Mac-Style

You should take the insides out of it, and turn it into an aquarium.

Yeah, using it as a computer somehow is the most logical thing, but a colored Mac lamp would be pretty cool.

What about selling it. My uncle has a green G3 that they had been using just for internet but now they have wireless and so don't use it. He is not tech savy at all and asked me what to do with it. I didn't really know but I said you could probably still get something for it on ebay. If you are not tech savy what would you do with it?

if not tech savvy, give it to a friend who is. selling a G3 on ebay right now would MAYBE collect $50-$75 if you were lucky.

i am using mine as a server running ubuntu on it at the moment, but i do like that stereo suggestion! damn...that would be SWWEEET!

^^ Oooh I like that! ^^

Does the iMac have a tray loading CD drive, or does it have a slot loading one and a Firewire port? Can it read DVDs? Being a slot loader with DVD is substantially more valuable because they qualify to run Tiger, ups the value at least 50% I think. Tray loaders go for less than $100, slot loaders go above that mark and DVD probably $150.

That mini idea would be sweet. If anyone manages it I'd like to see pics. Somebody's already gotten a mini inside an old compact Mac case, I think even using the original monitor.

so far the suggestions have been pretty good. does anyone know where i could find specific directions for some of these projects? especailly, the server/itunes box?

I have a graphire iMac which I gave to my 6- and 8-year-old daughters for playing game. There are many educational games for children that require nothing more than OS 9. Since this machine is also a DV edition, I can give it to some relative for video editing using iMovie 2 (or 1?).

I have one I use simply as a jukebox in my home. I wiped it and loaded all of my music. Plug it into your home sound system and rock away. It works great for parties. The visualizer adds a nice effect in the background as well.

i'd suggest installing ubuntu or debian on it if you want to get geeky... or you could start a website and tell people if they give you enough money to replace it you'll blow it up, submit it to digg, and see what happens :)