joec

boot from raid in tiger

I have 2 400gb drives i want to stripe as one... are there any issues in being able to boot tiger from this raid?

Are there any issues booting tiger from any stripped drives?

THanks in advance

i havnt heard of any... doesnt mean there couldnt be any though.

Ive never done this on a mac before but in the windows world it does make a difference if you are using a hardware or software RAID. If it is hardware then the OS is oblivious to the RAID so it doesn't matter. But if it is software then at least in windows you cannot install the OS on a RAID partition. But this is only because you cannot create the RAID until you are in the OS. Remember if you are just doing striping without parity RAID0 instead of RAID5, if one drive fails you loose the entire volume.

I have 2 400gb drives i want to stripe as one... are there any issues in being able to boot tiger from this raid?

Are there any issues booting tiger from any stripped drives?

There is a software alternative to using the RAID software built into OSX - http://softraid.com

Apparently, this product has been updated to allow Intel Macs to boot from a RAID system.

I'll be purchasing a Mac Pro in the next month or so and am considering setting it up with two RAID drive pairs.

One pair stripped (for Photoshop scratch disk and video work) the other pair mirrored (for data and applications)

Let us know what you work out...

K. Wagner