bkayne

iMac 24 or Mac Pro 2.66

I'm in the market for a new Mac. I currently have a 1.6GHz Power Mac G5 w/2GB RAM. This machine is still a fast machine for what I do (moderate graphics and audio editing, moderate business applications, plenty of coding for the web, mail, web surfer), I'm just passing it down to my wife so she can dump her G4. I'm trying to decide between an iMac 24 (whatever is the fastest chip Apple is now selling) and a Mac Pro 2.66.

I've read a bit here in the forums on this topic, and I understand the issues around the dearth of upgrades available for the iMac and how all Adobe applications will suffer.

That said, the larger screen and all-in-one design are appealling. I'd be interested to hear what iMac 24 or even 20 owners have to say about its performance day to day, assuming you are running a similar suite of applications.

My two areas of concerns are:

- running a wide range of software: I don't run anything all day except Firefox and Apple Mail. But I do run all of these applications every day: Creative Suite CS2, Word, Excel, TextWrangler, Dreamweaver 8, Transmit, Peak, .

- I've read in places that the LCD in these iMacs is not up to par with the stand-alone displays Apple sells, mainly in terms of color accuracy. What is your experience?

Thanks,

Bob

Hopefully this will work...

I recorded this on the internal Mic in an iBook, so apologies for the sound quality.

My comment

If you have a monitor/KB/Mouse, then I would really give the base model Mac Pro a think about.

The advantages, as far as I see it are

-V Easy to add tons of HDD space

-Possible CPU upgrades

-easy to upgrade monitor(s)

-Video upgrades - v. useful if Aperture user

-More ports

-FW800 port

Possible disadvantages

-No Front Row (but may be in Leopard)

-No iSight but can be bought later

-Takes up more room

I have a 20" iMac and I am very pleased with it, but I would consider Mac Pro if I had my time again!

I have a 20" intel iMac dual displayed with a 20" Apple Cinema Display and (to my eyes at least) the ACD does look better.

I think that it is a difficult choice. If the computer is in a public part of the house where people will look at it and space is a premium, then I would get the iMac. If you think you will be tinkering with it and may need more HDD's, better video card later and so on, and you have tons of space then get the Mac Pro.

Let us know what you decide!

Edited by Eye_Doc

I have a 20" intel iMac dual displayed with a 20" Apple Cinema Display and (to my eyes at least) the ACD does look better.

I think that it is a difficult choice. If the computer is in a public part of the house where people will look at it and space is a premium, then I would get the iMac. If you think you will be tinkering with it and may need more HDD's, better video card later and so on, and you have tons of space then get the Mac Pro.

Let us know what you decide!

Thanks!

Hopefully this will work...

I recorded this on the internal Mic in an iBook, so apologies for the sound quality.

My comment

Thanks, Matt! No need to apologize for the sound quality, it sounded good.

Bob

Sssssh! ;)