tomad

2 DVDs stuck in iMac G5

My Gradnson inserted 2 DVDs into an iMac G5. Is it possible to somehow get them out, or must the iMac go in for service? Restarting will not eject them.

Thanks, Tom :(

if they dont come out when you hold the mouse button and reboot, most likely service is the best option. its probably covered under apple care. i would think. but anyway, i wouldnt try pulling them out, unless they are sticking out a little

wow, that is horrible. yeah i would say that service is the best option.

Not sure if you tried it or not but if you reboot while holding the mouse button it's like a forced eject. Give it a try if you havn't already.

The mouse button trick has already been posted.

I would suggest taking it in for service. Trying to eject two disks at once works occasionally, but usually scratches the disks and does the drive even more physical damage. This is not covered under AppleCare, warranty or anything because it's user error and not in a way the machine was designed for use.

The only thing they can do is take the drive out and dismantle it, taking the disks out by hand. Not too long of a job, maybe an hour if they are slow, 20 mins if they are okay. As to the drive; you have a 50/50 and it may need replacing although this may not be readily apparent for a few days/weeks.

The mouse button trick has already been posted.

I would suggest taking it in for service. Trying to eject two disks at once works occasionally, but usually scratches the disks and does the drive even more physical damage. This is not covered under AppleCare, warranty or anything because it's user error and not in a way the machine was designed for use.

The only thing they can do is take the drive out and dismantle it, taking the disks out by hand. Not too long of a job, maybe an hour if they are slow, 20 mins if they are okay. As to the drive; you have a 50/50 and it may need replacing although this may not be readily apparent for a few days/weeks.

Would it be cheaper to just but a replacement drive and swap it out yourself? Rather than paying for apple to extracate the discs from the other drive and then potentially having to purchase a new drive anyway?

That all depends on your confidence, experience and ability. Some say it's easy (most of us do it for a living however), some say it's hard (most have never tried it however) and the rest just don't know. If it's still under warranty then you will void the whole machine doing it yourself and Apples firmware isn't nice to get around sometimes with third party drives so that would be up to the individual.

Shouldn't cost too much to get the disks extracted though.

You havn't tried to use pliars or something, I suppose it depends on how they are stuck. I realise know that I have come close to that situation. He must have pushed it real hard to get it in!

I would imagine if Apple does it they will overcharge you so much (like they are trying to do to me with a LCD for a PowerBook). Have you tried sites that will swap out the Drive and upgrade it? This http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20Wor...ing/MG5SL8XDLK/ is only 129 for the Drive plus upgrade kit (it's a DIY) but I am sure they could probably do it for you.

Step 1: Make the kid pay for service

Step 2: ?

Step 3: Profit!

Please remember that this is an issue of safety also. Sticking something in into a computer because it fits (such as screwdrivers, knives or pliers) will lead to more harm than good. You could seriously injure yourself as well as your drive. Don't do it, no matter who you are or what you think you know.

Instead take it to someone who does know and professionals to do it for you. If you are genuinely able to fix the issue you would not contemplate doing so yourself and would do a proper take apart.

There are a lot of issue with safety, tools, ESD and so on here; please never encourage someone to put themself and their computer at risk for the sake of a few bucks.