I'm buying an iMac on eBay, and so far this is all I know about it

Processor - G3 350MHz

128MB SDRAM

7GB Hard Drive

Mac OSX 10.2.8

Bus Speed - 100MHz

L2 Cache Size - 512k

Built in Network and Modem

I wanted to get more RAM for it, and i was wondering if anyone knows how much it can take, and what kind it needs. Is this the right stuff?

I also considered putting a larger HD in. Once again, how big is the max, and what type do I need? I am hoping there is at least one MacGeek out here still running one of these things, and would be able give some advice. Has anyone tried upgrading one of these? How hard is it?

Sorry about the overload of questions, but thanks in advance.

Peter

Hey,

That ram looks good, its PC100 although the iMac can take up to 1GB, and I would recommend maxing given its an older machine, and OS X is a hog. Also, I've seen signifigant gains in using the latest version of OS X, because apple have been impoving things like application caching throughout development. I think that model iMac can go up to 10.3.9, it may go to Tiger but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Fortunately the later model slot loaders like this one are really easy when it comes to upgrading the RAM, although the hard disk is less trivial.

Best of Luck

After emailing the seller of the aforementioned RAM, he said it would not be compatible. He said:

...NO this won't work for you you need std 168 pin sdram.

Where can i get this cheap? It's old, so i can't find it for less than AU$50 per 256MB stick. I think this is a tad pricey, so is anyone interested in selling? :)

EDIT: Got the RAM, see questions below...

Edited by pq101

Sorry to double post, but cbf starting another thread.

What are processor upgrade cards? how do they work? And i read the Tiger does not support them. Does this mean it doesnt support them at all, or only if the original processor did not meet the specs.

Also, I have seen for sale adaptors to go from an IDE HD socket to a SATA drive. Are these reliable? will they work?

cheers

If you want to get some detailed specifications on that model of iMac, I suggest downloading Mactracker.

I notice that model of iMac has a Firewire port, so you could buy an external hard drive, easier than fitting an internal one.

Sorry, but I don't have any ideas about where you could source the RAM from.

Got the RAM, was hoping to go internal, just because its easier to use (and cheaper).

My other question was that I looked up "iMac G3 Upgrade" on google, and found a few articles from the early 2000s, and several said that if you have a drive larger than 8GB, you must partition it, because OSX will not run on a drive larger than 8GB. I know this is not true for tiger, but does it apply to older versions, specifically 10.2?

Also, if it doesnt come with install disks, is it possible to burn the OS to a cd in order to boot from it if I swapped out the HD? Or could I even boot from another computer, and external drive (USB) or an iPod?

Finally, I looked at the tech specs for Tiger, and they seemed quite low. what will tiger really need to run well? I'm talking processor and RAM wise.

Mactracker recommends 10.3.9 for the 350MHz model and the latest OS for the 400MHz.

When I switched, 10.2 supported my 80GB drive (unpartitioned).

You can boot from Firewire not USB (known as target disk mode). Booting from CD is mainly for running Disk Utility or installing the OS. Of course an external Firewire drive would solve the problem, but as you say is more expensive.

A Firewire iPod could be used as a boot drive, but I wouldn't recommend it, the drive have no space to keep cool and the Device isn't really designed for the purpose.

Finally I'd go minimum of 512MB RAM, if you can max out, so much the better.

EDIT: If you looking to use a 10.2 OS disk that came packaged with another system, you may have a problem, but I'm not 100% sure about that. An OS disk that was bought separately will definitely work.

Edited by Ginamos

OK I worded that wrong. When I swap out the HD, the OS will not be on the new one. What i am looking for is a way to put the OS (from the old drive while it's still in the computer) on a CD, iPod or other computer and then install from the other drive. Or will I have to get a copy of the OS from somewhere else, and if so, where?

Sorry for the bad wording

If I was after a copy of 10.3, where would I get one? I have an eMac that used to run it, can I get it off there somehow?

Ok, just to make sure, is the person selling the iMac without any of the original installation disks?

If no original disks, 10.3 disks are available on ebay.

Maybe someone else can come up with a cunning plan, that I'm missing.

Ok, just to make sure, is the person selling the iMac without any of the original installation disks?

If no original disks, 10.3 disks are available on ebay.

Maybe someone else can come up with a cunning plan, that I'm missing.

You could put the old drive into an external firewire enclosure. Then boot from the new firewire drive and copy everything to the new drive. You will also get an inexpensive external firewire drive out of the deal.

RAM is simple to install on that iMac. Goes in through a door. Do not attempt to replace the internal hard drive unless you know what you're doing.

A far easier solution is to simply get a Firewire drive. It'll be much easier to hook up, you can install OS 9 or OS X (or both) directly onto it, and you won't need to partition it (that only applies to the internal drive). It'll also be faster than a drive attached to the iMac's internal connector.

Thank you everyone for your help. I had thought it would be easy to change the hard drive, but appears not to be so. I will probably just get an external one. I will be picking up the computer this afternoon, so i will play with it for a bit and work out what i want to do with it. Thanks again

I notice your sig has an emac, so an external drive could also come in handy exchanging data between the two machine.

You can also use a Firewire drive to boot from either machine, depending which one it's plugged into, that'll give you a lot of flexibility. Perhaps look for a lower capacity external drive on ebay, it doesn't have to be the latest 500GB model.

With Firewire you have the potential to daisy chain devices together, which is what I do, with two Lacie external drives, DVD writer and (Firewire) iPod. Although you have to consider the throughput of the single connection you're using.

Those two Firewire ports are probably the biggest source of expansion you have on that machine (that and maxing out the RAM), use them.

Those two Firewire ports are probably the biggest source of expansion you have on that machine (that and maxing out the RAM), use them.

I got the machine about half an hour ago and the first thing i noticed was no firewire... Unless I'm looking in the wrong place (with all the other ports) there is no firewire port.

I did however find a copy of 10.3 in my drawer, and I am currently installing that.

Had a look at the back and turned one little coin-twist thing (like batteries on notebooks) and there was the RAM, so that shouldn't present too much of a challenge.

Random Question: Why does it have three headphone jacks?

EDIT: ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! I thought I had a 10.3 install disk, but it was 10.1... oops

Edited by pq101

No Firewire is interesting as the specs you provided indicate the model of iMac you have is the Summer 2000 one, which is supposed to have two Firewire 400 ports and two USB 1.1 ports. Same applies to the late 1999 iMac. The earlier Bondi Blue/5 Flavors iMac's don't have Firewire, but their specs don't match what you stated.

I'm just going by Mactracker , which is usually accurate.

No Firewire is interesting as the specs you provided indicate the model of iMac you have is the Summer 2000 one, which is supposed to have two Firewire 400 ports and two USB 1.1 ports. Same applies to the late 1999 iMac. The earlier Bondi Blue/5 Flavors iMac's don't have Firewire, but their specs don't match what you stated.

I'm just going by Mactracker , which is usually accurate.

I looked on MacTracker and I was confused. It has no Firewire, but it has three headphone jacks (why?). They were supposedly introduced with firewire, but obviously something is wrong. Oh well...

You can always double check the tech spec of your model using the Find by Serial Number option

http://support.apple.com/specs/

Get the serial number from System Profiler or "About This Mac"->"More Info..."

You can also check System Profiler for the Firewire section.

Edited by Ginamos

The plot thickens...

Looked up the serial number, sure enough... Summer 2000.

Also interesting is that where the Firewire port should (see photo) be there is just white plastic, rather than another port. I'll try and take of the case and see if the ports are actually there, just covered. I planned to do that tonight, but got halfway through and dropped a screw in the case. I spent about an hour trying to got it out, then almost had it when i dropped the screwdriver in too! Finally got them both out, and computer was fine, but i think i'll wait a day or two before trying that again...

Don't get your hopes up, looks like that model never came with Firewire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac#iMac_.28...8aka_iMac_G3.29

"July 19, 2000 — iMac/iMac DV/iMac DV+/iMac DV SE. DV+ and DV SE models upgrade slot-loading CD-ROM to slot-loading DVD-ROM drive. 350 or 400 or 450 or 500 MHz processor, colors graphite (grey), ruby (red), snow (white), indigo (blue) and sage (green). 350 MHz model (Indigo) still lacked FireWire support."

If I remember correctly back in 2000 Firewire was quite an expensive option. I guess Apple had the no Firewire model to keep the price down.

Damn. Looks like USB only then, and i'll just boot from the internal drive and use an external for everything. Or I might see exactly how hard it is to change the internal. The worst i can do is completely ruin the computer, which only cost me AU$46, and hopefully i'l gain some experience in what not to do. ;) <---Really bad winking smiley...

Is there any way to put a firewire card in, or not?

Edited by pq101

looks like i got to this one a little late, but i hope i can help!

I have a G3 350mhz with 10.3 and 192 mb ram, upgraded 20gig hard drive.

Let me say that replaceing the internal hard drive is really easy, when I upgraded to a 20 gig drive that someone gave me it took about an hour to replace it. But I made a mistake and had to do it twice! I got some directions online for it. It was really quite easy. If you dont want any hassle get a drive with less then 120 gbs on it, although you can get a bigger drive and partion it...

Go to dealram for your ram.

HTH

Got the RAM, but does anyone know of somewhere i could get an online tutorial for replacing the HD, preferably with pictures? also, If i partition a drive, can i install Linux on one of the partitions? Then can I boot to either partition? I have never used linux, but want to try it out. whats the best/easiest type of linux to use?

I have this computer at my house but its a 600mhz 512 ram and a 40Gb hard drive and everthing else is the same. The ram it takes is pc133u and it supports a harddrive up to 150 is what I read. It will run 10.4 tiger but it is slow not way slow but its slower than if you had an emac. They are great machines for typing stuff and doing reports. the one i have has 2 firewire ports and 2 usb ports and 1 head phone and 1 mic jack. its lasted for years and I hope it lasts for more years

Ugh... not having Firewire is a big problem. There was indeed that one model of slot loader that didn't have it. You can use USB 1.1, but you will not be happy. USB 1.1 is 11mbps, 2.0 is 480mbps, and no USB device can use all of the speed of the port - they each get a fraction. Firewire is different, it runs at 400mbps and if only one device is using it at the moment, that device gets the full 400. We're probably looking at a USB 1.1 hard drive actually running at 1% or less of the speed the Firewire one would. Quite frankly, it's not practical. OS X will probably even warn you when you plug the drive in that it will be painfully slow.

If you want more space, you'll seriously have to consider trying to upgrade the iMac's internal drive. Look on www.macsales.com for the drive, they break upgrades down by model so you know you got the right one. They might even have a take apart guide for the iMac. If you're not comfortable doing it even with a guide, see if there's a local Apple-friendly computer shop that can do it.