Daniel Elessedil Kjeserud

MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo

Well, here it is guys. We've been waiting a long time for this: The MacBook Pro with C2D.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/intel.html

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nclm=MacBookPro

Apple says 39% and 34% faster, but real life tests on other computers shows a lot less then this.

They come with a 2.16GHz and a 2.33GHz CPU. They've also boosted the HDs to 120, 160 and 200GB.

Too of from, its great news for all you that's been waiting for this update!

Edited by Daniel Elessedil Kjeserud

Well, here it is guys. We've been waiting a long time for this: The MacBook Pro with C2D.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/intel.html

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nclm=MacBookPro

Apple says 39% and 34% faster, but real life tests on other computers shows a lot less then this.

They come with a 2.16GHz and a 2.33GHz CPU. They've also boosted the HDs to 120, 160 and 200GB.

Too of from, its great news for all you that's been waiting for this update!

Finally its here!!! Too bad I got my macbook a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, the macbook is working fine for me. I'll upgrade next year....

Finally its here!!! Too bad I got my macbook a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, the macbook is working fine for me. I'll upgrade next year....

If it has only been a couple of weeks I believe you can still swap it out. Might as well get the best you can get.

oh man.. i almost want to throw out that old macbook and upgrade.. i mean come on.. 5 months old is 5 months too old.

200Gb hard drives and 3Gb RAM and Dual Layer Superdrives....!! How do they fit all of that stuff into the notebooks! :blink::P

Rather than just do a simple drop in chip replacement, Apple went the extra mile and revamped the whole guts of the thing. Very nice. It seems this upgrade will address many complaints about the previous MBP (especially lack of FW800 on the 15") as well as differentiate it more from the MacBook. I'm curious about the new 3gb memory limit. Did they include a third slot like the iMac, or is there 1gb soldered to the logic board now? That would jive with the stock RAM being a minimum of 1gb now.

This does finally seem like a compelling machine for the premium it costs over the MacBook.

Waheey! At last Apple don't look like they are lagging behind!

A decent upgrade with the FW800 and DL DVD as well as the processor change. Some may moan that there is no change in enclosure, but I love the old enclosure!

It is only a shame that the other than the processor change, we have just bought the MBP into line with the old 15" PB!!

My order should be in tonight....

....order in!!

Edited by Eye_Doc

200Gb hard drives and 3Gb RAM and Dual Layer Superdrives....!! How do they fit all of that stuff into the notebooks! :blink::P

Unfortunately they did it at the cost of the Hard Drive speed. I love every thing about this new MacBook Pro except that there is no option for a 7200 RPM disk. I understand that the only way to get a 200GB drive in a laptop is to use a slower spinning drive to 4200RPM , but they should give an option for a lower capacity 7200RPM drive like they used to There is no reason to only have options at 5400RPM in the 100-120 range. I think it's going to be problematic for a lot of people doing video work who don't want to carry around a large external drive just to work on a couple small video clips.

The 3GB RAM limit still bothers me... It's much better than 2GB, but it's hard to consider it a real mobile workstation with less than 4GB.

Rather than just do a simple drop in chip replacement, Apple went the extra mile and revamped the whole guts of the thing. Very nice. It seems this upgrade will address many complaints about the previous MBP (especially lack of FW800 on the 15") as well as differentiate it more from the MacBook. I'm curious about the new 3gb memory limit. Did they include a third slot like the iMac, or is there 1gb soldered to the logic board now? That would jive with the stock RAM being a minimum of 1gb now.

This does finally seem like a compelling machine for the premium it costs over the MacBook.

Checked http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html and here is what it looks like;

"# 1GB (single SO-DIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory on 2.16GHz configuration; and 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) on 2.33GHz configuration; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 3GB

# 667MHz frontside bus"

So it seems like there only 2 SO-DIMM slots. The max is one 2 GB stick + 1 GB stick (stock). Sounds like matching pairs don't matter anymore. Newegg has what looks like a compatable 2 GB stick of RAM for $630.99, OWC is selling a 2 GB stick for $679.99, Apple will upgrade from 1 GB to 3 GB for $750, Crucial is selling their 2 GB stick for $1169.99

Very nice, but what about "the rest of us" who are on a low budget? Macbook? Hello? Your biggest seller? I just read that the MacBooks (both types I guess) are accounting for up to 60% of Mac sales.

Hurrah! But I won't be upgrading any time soon. I love my first gen MacBook Pro. Even if it is a very expensive grill.

Well it finally happened. I knew the day would eventually come. My Macbook pro is no longer the best that you can buy. I have to say I didn't expect the ancillary changes.

Checked http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html and here is what it looks like;

"# 1GB (single SO-DIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory on 2.16GHz configuration; and 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) on 2.33GHz configuration; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 3GB

# 667MHz frontside bus"

So it seems like there only 2 SO-DIMM slots. The max is one 2 GB stick + 1 GB stick (stock). Sounds like matching pairs don't matter anymore. Newegg has what looks like a compatable 2 GB stick of RAM for $630.99, OWC is selling a 2 GB stick for $679.99, Apple will upgrade from 1 GB to 3 GB for $750, Crucial is selling their 2 GB stick for $1169.99

Matching pairs never mattered....

Very nice, but what about "the rest of us" who are on a low budget? Macbook? Hello? Your biggest seller? I just read that the MacBooks (both types I guess) are accounting for up to 60% of Mac sales.

The MBs will have to be updated quickly- compare a similarly configured black MB to the 15"MBP- only a $200 difference! Increasing the HD capacity is in Apple's best interest- after all, movies take up lots of space! I don't know if the processor will be upgraded- perhaps not and that will justify the difference the price difference between the machines. But that will require a significant MB price drop and/or serious memory and HD upgrades.

It will be interesting to see what Apple does, but I'd guess it's right around the corner.

its finally happened. The rev B MBP.

I placed my order earlier this afternoon and once i fill out the forms for finance (im a poor student lol) I will be getting my first ever mac. I am stupidly excited. I have waited patiently for a long time. I went for the 15" 2.33Ghz base model (2GB Ram, 120GB 5400rpm HDD, Standard display) added Iwork, MS office, .mac and applecare. Sorted the finance over the phone (36mths @ £59PM) it should ship in approx 10-14 days time :)

its finally happened. The rev B MBP.

I placed my order earlier this afternoon and once i fill out the forms for finance (im a poor student lol) I will be getting my first ever mac. I am stupidly excited. I have waited patiently for a long time. I went for the 15" 2.33Ghz base model (2GB Ram, 120GB 5400rpm HDD, Standard display) added Iwork, MS office, .mac and applecare. Sorted the finance over the phone (36mths @ £59PM) it should ship in approx 10-14 days time :)

Congratulations. You have taken your first step into a larger world!

Let's see whose MBP gets here quicker!!

Let's see whose MBP gets here quicker!!

yours probably will because I have to wait a few extra days for the finance to clear :lol:

Dinger :)

Edited by Dinger

yours probably will because I have to wait a few extra days for the finance to clear :lol:

Dinger :)

Should have bought Office through your school... It's super cheap if I buy it through my school. Under $100 Canadian cheap. Heck, a full version of Office 2003 Pro for Windows is only $139 on campus.

Should have bought Office through your school... It's super cheap if I buy it through my school. Under $100 Canadian cheap. Heck, a full version of Office 2003 Pro for Windows is only $139 on campus.

Or better yet go with one of the open source alternatives like http://www.neooffice.org. Neo office is Open Office that has been optimized for OSX, it's free, and it will both read and write MS Office compatible files. I will never be worrying about getting office again. I use about 1/10 of the features available in Office and would probably be just fine with text edit except it's easier when you have to deal with professors who will only accept .doc [not .rtf] to have an office alternative.

Edited by joshr

Like Josh, I also user NeoOffice for my Office needs. It's a great and free alternative to the rather expensive MS Office. I use Open Office at work, and none of my MS Office using co-workers has noticed anything different.

I did find out about the memory later. Apparently it's a limitation of the current supporting chipset that Intel has for the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. The real Core 2 chipset for notebooks isn't due until early next year, sticking us with a 3gb RAM limit on notebooks (and iMacs) until then.

Matching pairs are only an issue on the MacBook and Mac mini because their integrated GMA 950 graphics are much more efficient on matched pairs. The MBP, iMac and Mac Pro all have dedicated graphics cards so it doesn't matter there.