Charlie George

Booting from iPod

I'm trying to boot an OS from my iPod but it's not working. If someone has accomplished this before, please let me know, I need all the help I can get!

Charlie

i dont think you can boot from usb. so i'm pretty sure it has to be a firewire capable ipod.

i dont think you can boot from usb. so i'm pretty sure it has to be a firewire capable ipod.

I tried Firewire but the iPod said it didnt support it, by the way its a video iPod.

Charlie

I tried Firewire but the iPod said it didnt support it, by the way its a video iPod.

Charlie

The video iPod's don't support transfer via firewire - they can only charge that way. That leaves only USB to actually connect the iPod to your computer, meaning no, you cannot boot from your iPod. Any of the 4th gen iPods or earlier (not the shuffle obviously) can connect via firewire and can be used as boot drives.

gekko

According to a recent posting over on TUAW you can boot a PowerPC Mac from an external USB volume.

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/25/boot-your-p...rnal-usb-drive/

Want to boot your PowerPC Mac from an external USB 2.0 drive? Piece of cake! Clone your current system over to the external drive (or install a shiny new system if you prefer), restart while holding down the Option key to get into the boot manager and select that external drive as your startup disk. Yes, that's right - it's the same process you'd use to boot from a Firewire drive

I haven't tried it personally, but they claim a number of people have said it works. Good luck.

it works, but it's incredibly slow. I tried it...I was also able to boot Ubuntu from it and it too was EXTREMELY slow. There's really no point in doing all that. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and buy a nice external firewire drive, preferably a 1.8 inch laptop drive and install OS X on it.

it works, but it's incredibly slow. I tried it...I was also able to boot Ubuntu from it and it too was EXTREMELY slow. There's really no point in doing all that. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and buy a nice external firewire drive, preferably a 1.8 inch laptop drive and install OS X on it.

I thought that laptop harddrives were 2.5 I didnt know they came in 1.8 thats pretty kewl.

Edited by cooperrose