Sign in to follow this  
ncaprioli

Windows "Longhorn" named Windows Vista

Scheduled to come out in 2006 (more like 2016)

When will they give up and admit they make an inferior operating system, no matter what year it is released - - -

Link to CNN Article

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/22/technology...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Link to Microsoft "Windows Vista" Site

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Have Fun!

Nick

Yea... just read these a few minutes ago. Who in their right mind (or not) came up with this name?

It's been quite a disappointing years for me on MS products. Nothing new and interesting. And I agree with the name sound really lame.

all you hear is Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn Longhorn but you see nothing

Why Doesn't MS give up? Everyone knows that viruses and hackers target Windows.

There's more bugs in Windows then Mac will ever dream to have (not that we would).

Windows has had bugs in it ever since it came out with version ONE. And if it wasn't for Apple, we might have 32-bit as the new bit, instead of 64, and the original Mac (I think) had the first GUI (graphic user interface). I think ms is trying too hard. And their developers are taking an extreeeeeeemly long time to release a new OS.

Timelines:

comparetime.gif

MS DOS Promt

c:>edit comparetime.gif /txt /SP2 /date Aug 2002 Aug 2004

Sorry, :P I just had to do that! :P

Honestly, I don't see what the point of Windows is anymore, after all, M$ is basically talking the ideas and design of Panther and Tiger and tossing them lamely into Windows. It's gone to crap, and I can see "clear" ol' Vista being the last release of Windows, ever.(And that would be good.)

haha i remember listening to a Podcast, i forget which one... i think it was tWiT, that a guy was wonder if Gates would ever just say "You know, we've had our run and i think its time to just call it quits." pay off stock holders and just CLOSE for good. that would be the best day of my life.

then Steve Jobs would rule the world!

What a day that would be...

I'm emailing gates and tell him to quit!

I absolutely hate using my PC. I dream about having a mac. Then when I use one. I am in heaven. I hate that ms operating systems never run the same. Plus they are extremely unstable. I belong to another forum, and someone posted that ms bought the biggest spyware company. Now ms' anti-spyware software no longer blocks that spyware. Also, ms puts spyware in there os. Ouch, that can't be good.

When Steve Jobs announced at WWDC that Mac OS X had been ported to run on Intel processors since day one, I think he failed to mention one little detail. Every version of the Mac OS had been ported to run on Intel processors...

It's called Windows.

I'm not a Windows Fanboy.... but alot of the stuff said in this thread is terribly wrong...

First off Service Pack 2 was released in August of 2004...

if you were to compare software updates and patches for Windows directly to updates for OSX then Microsoft wins hands down also... of all the updates for Windows XP how many have you had to pay for?

Microsoft has been releasing major updates and fixs monthly for a long time! Just because they aren't up to service pack 5 doesn't mean they don't update Windows. Yes I know Apple release minor updates for the Mac OS, but not nearly as many as MS.

There are just as many bugs in OSX has there are in Windows... infact considering Windows has a infinite number of hardware configurations to deal with it works really well. I use a PC all the time and to tell you the truth it's almost bug free... the few problems I've had are third party driver problems.

I also use a 12" iBook for my mac and I love it, when it comes time ot replace my PC I will buy a PowerMac, but that's more for it's design and packaging than it's software innards...

Also, what benefit is there for 64 bit computing for a normal desktop user? none! and it's not Apple who pushed the technology... it was the CPU makers. I also know Intel Itanium was released while Mac OS was still in .1 or .2

You also have to realize because of the size of the Windows install base a major release every year would not work. You won't see large corporations updating their fleet of machine once a year.

I just felt the obvious ignorance of a few of the mac users should have be pointed out.... this is what keeps PC switchers away from the forums... this minority of otherwise a great user base.

First off Service Pack 2 was released in August of 2004...

Yeah, that was a typo.

anyway,

look at this photo i found on the internet:

recycle-bill.jpg

Right-Click->Empty Trash

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: DOWN WITH MICROSOFT :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

if you were to compare software updates and patches for Windows directly to updates for OSX then Microsoft wins hands down also... of all the updates for Windows XP how many have you had to pay for?

I would gladly pay some money for an updated OS that was well worth while. also, Apple puts out just as many updates M$ does. there are always new 10.X.X updates issued.

ya i know that PC fans dont like it when Mac fans bash PCs. but the fact is is that PC fans are just trying to scrounge up as many points for themselves as possible when they will never add up. PCs are spyware and virus infested machines that just cause frustration and headaches.

Also, what benefit is there for 64 bit computing for a normal desktop user? none!

ALL i'm saying is that 32bit could be the latest and greatest now instead of 64 IFFFFF Apple never developed (and i'm glad it did!!!)

Where does the December 2006 possible release date come from for OS X 10.5? I've never heard any possible dates.

-Rob

Where does the December 2006 possible release date come from for OS X 10.5? I've never heard any possible dates.

-Rob

Steve Jobs said that it would be coming out end of 2006 in his keynote at WWDC if I remember CorRectly..

If our school district wasn't making a mass shift to Dells, I really wouldn't care enough to complain about Windows.

I've been using Windows fairly regularly for about a year but only at work. For the most part, it works fine. I can't complain about bugs or software issues because my low level use doesn't seem to find any real problems.

My frustrations with Windows usually stem from what I'm used to doing on my Mac. I've been trained to use a Mac, so I try to close Windows with command-w, I don't expect a program to quit when I close the last window, I always pick the wrong button when I want to move a window into the command bar.

So, the two things that bother me about Windows are a) my own ineptitude and B) the constant interference of security software, which could become an issue for the Mac as it gains in marketshare.

just my two cents

-Rob

-Rob

WWDC 2005, when Jobs quickly mentioned Lepoard.

-Rob

WWDC 2005, when Jobs quickly mentioned Lepoard.

To be accurate, he didn't say December 2006. He said "at the end of 2006 or early 2007."

I'm not a Windows Fanboy.... but alot of the stuff said in this thread is terribly wrong...

*snip*

This post really hits the nail on the head.

To be fair, many of my problems with Windows have had to do with third party stuff. I put a Wi-Fi PCI card in my PC a couple months ago that is all flaky and weird. I finally get a driver that works... and later I ran Windows Update which screwed up the driver and now the card is on the fritz again.

Aside from third party issues, many of the ways that Microsoft suffers are due to its size. They are slower to innovate and come up with new ideas because it all gets bogged down in the excessivly complicated heirarchy. It's difficult to manage a huge group of people in any industry.

We also have to remember that Windows is made for a wide range of people including a lot of business users who just want to run Word and Excel and Outlook with as few frills as possible. It's made for a different (perhaps more bland) audience.

Mac users consist of a lot of creative professionals and enthusiasts who have the interest in cutting edge stuff, people who can and want to upgrade. We're lucky that we're a smaller group, because that gives Apple the freedom to be more bold and more innovative.

So yeah, I like Macs better, and yeah I've gotten fed up with Windows. But that doesn't mean that Microsoft is evil or that Bill Gates needs to be burned alive. If we want to get fired up about things that are evil, look at Wal-Mart, look at Hummer, look at the Republican party. Get real.

take a look at this:

Vista Problem.

Bad for M$, Good for Mac.

take a look at this:

Vista Problem.

Bad for M$, Good for Mac.

If anyone gets upset about trademark infringement, Microsoft will pay off the smaller company and they will keep the name. But a large part of that article was about how these people with the Vista name are benefitting from the increased attention, and I think that's true. And I don't really see how this is "Bad for M$, Good for Mac."

The name doesn't even matter anyways. Like was said in this article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...crovista23.html

"If they called it Windows Garbage, would people still buy it? Yeah, they'd buy it," said David Burd, owner of The Naming Co. in East Stroudsburg, Pa. "They've got something like 90 percent penetration in the world of operating systems."

We also have to remember that Windows is made for a wide range of people including a lot of business users who just want to run Word and Excel and Outlook with as few frills as possible.  It's made for a different (perhaps more bland) audience.

Mac users consist of a lot of creative professionals and enthusiasts who have the interest in cutting edge stuff, people who can and want to upgrade.  We're lucky that we're a smaller group, because that gives Apple the freedom to be more bold and more innovative.

I think that Adam has hit the nail on the head there. I am a windows user but i do have a Mac on order and my experience with windows is that it is for the business/corporate users. It will run word, Excel, Outlook with no major problems which is what most offices want.

Macs do have the edge when it comes down to design. They seem to handle it lot better that windows can. I personnaly think that Mac's are better for familys as they are simple to use, no viruses etc

Another thing I need to point out is that alot of you people on here have been talking about Vista. I am currently using a beta version of the OS and i can honestly say i hate it. The design is not as bad as xp but it is really slow (not sure if that is just beacuse it is a beta). To me Apple have to edge over microsoft in almost everything. I also belive that if Apple carry on doing what they are doing so well Vista could be Microsoft's last OS, or if not they will loose a bit part of the sales to Apple.

BTW, I ordered my mac mini after seeing the beta of Vista

Beta is always slow.. they have a bunch of code for check point if it crash. That's why it's BETA. Wait for the Release Cadidate version... it should be closer to the real thing.