isaiah1112

DV Camcorder... what should I buy

isaiah1112    0

Not being a complete video expert I thought that I would throw this "problem" out onto the net and see what type of reply I get.

I am looking to purchase a DV camera. I think I would like to get one that has in internal hard drive (this seems better to me that DV tape but I may be wrong) and is also capable of doing HD capture. True 16:9 would be nice but not a requirement. Also, FW interface is a must!

I would like to spend less than $1000 but if there is one more expensive that does what I want it do it would be worth saving for.

Any takers?

EDIT: Oh yeah, here is one of the cameras that I was looking at, the Canon HV10. The only thing here I don't like is it is using MiniDV tapes for capture (although I could do direct to disk with my PowerBook or new 24' iMac).

Edited by isaiah1112

haydn    0
Not being a complete video expert I thought that I would throw this "problem" out onto the net and see what type of reply I get.

I am looking to purchase a DV camera. I think I would like to get one that has in internal hard drive (this seems better to me that DV tape but I may be wrong) and is also capable of doing HD capture. True 16:9 would be nice but not a requirement. Also, FW interface is a must!

I would like to spend less than $1000 but if there is one more expensive that does what I want it do it would be worth saving for.

Any takers?

Standard DV is very good and cheap (about £250 upwards in the UK). It's reliable and can be transferred easily through firewire but in real time. If you can afford it go for 3 CCD which is meant to have better colour saturation etc. I have one of the jvc everio HD recorders (the 30 gig one). They're very convenient and come up as a hard drive when you plug them in. The unit has a very slow start up time (literally about 10 seconds as opposed to about 3 seconds with my DV cam) but it's convenient. The files have a strange extension on them and I convert them with mpegstreamclip as they're a bit big to store natively (guess it depends on what resolution you grab them at in the first place!).

As for capturing at HD I'm pretty doubtful you're going to get anything that captures at 720p or 1080 without spending a lot of money. Sony seem to be leading the 3CCD field but I think they're still £1300ish - meant to be great though!

Hope this is of use

Haydn

pwbeninate    0

If you are looking to buy in the very near future, I would stay away from hard drive based units. They are quite new in the consumer realm, and don't offer much quality or compression options.

As far as DV, I would looking at Canon and JVC. In the $1000 price range, check out the Canon Optura 40.

Or, you could save your pennies and pick up a Red One camera when they ship :P

Edited by pwbeninate

Eye_Doc    0

I also think that there are limited options in terms of HDD based devices for mac as many of them don't support mac fully so be wary!

I would love one of the Canon HD ones. DV tape is cheap and is good for backup of projects.

3CCD is great, its what i have.If you can afford it, go for it. If not. meh. OR you could save up for HD

WHATEVER YOU DO: do not get a DVD camera and make sure your camera has firewire!

roogie    1
3CCD is great, its what i have.If you can afford it, go for it. If not. meh. OR you could save up for HD

WHATEVER YOU DO: do not get a DVD camera and make sure your camera has firewire!

One nice thing about using a MiniDV tape is that you always have a backup of your footage off of your Mac.

Sony calls FireWire iLink, most others say that the camera has an IEEE 1394 interface, all of these are FireWire, you just may need to purchase a cable to connect it to your Mac.

roog

mmermaid    0

I am a fan of the 3CCD Panasonic camcorders which use the miniDV tapes. I have the PV-GS500 and think it is excellent. Also feel the PV-GS300 is a fine choice. Both can be found online for @ few hundred dollars less than suggested retail. Be careful though that you purchase from a reputable retailer. Good luck.

joshimacvid    0

HD is a realy hard format to work with.

It is not very portable as other formats because of its size.

To my knowlege there is no way under to coupple thoueand dollars to play back HD video in other places than your computer.

Also because if it is so big buying a Hard Drive recorder is not the best idea it does depend on the type of HD you are recoding but the max space it can take a sec is almost a gig (correct me if I am wrong the book I am useing for this info is a couple years old.)

I recomend a minidv camcorder. The quality is still very good at a cheep price and the tapes it uses are small protable and hold a lot of video.

The only reason I can think of needing a hard drive modle is if you could not wait till the next day to import. If thats the case have it import over night or when you eating lunch or dinner. Don't forget you don't have to import it all at once.

I hope this helps.