houltmac

Books

I have just finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown and I have to say it's one of the best techno-thrillers I have ever read. I am now looking for more (preferably available on iTS).

Anything semi-realistic about hacking (cracking), ethic of underground techno-geeks and so on. I know I started reading a great book about reverse engineering a few years ago and never finished it, but that would be great also.

Any suggestions along those lines would be greatly appreciated.

Digital Fortress is indeed a really cool book.. I also have a book called The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver in my shelf. It's an ok book for a quick read. Looking at my amazon wish list I have "Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution"

" With profiles of Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, MIT's Tech Model Railroad Club, and more, this book captures a seminal moment when the risk takers and explorers were poised to conquer 20th-century America's last frontier. And, in the Internet age, "the hacker ethic" - espoused here - is alive and well."
and "Hackers' Tales: Stories from the Electronic Front Line"
Compilation of true stories from the cyber underground relating the exploits of real hackers. It is aimed at a mass market audience who want to read about real world hackers. The book aims to capture the thoughts and stories fo the people who choose, for whatever reason, to compromise system security.

as for reverse engineering I'd recommend "The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security" by Kevin Mitnick.

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution

Hackers' Tales

The Art of Deception

I'd recommend

The Soul Of A New Machine originally published in 1981, about a long forgotten struggle between Digital Equipment (DEC) and Data General. Many peoples ideas about the so called early days of the computer industry seem to revolve around Gates and Jobs, this story illustrates some of the broader picture of what was going on. Interesting insights into what goes into building a new machine, possibly some interesting pointers into what may have gone on at NeXT, or even with the Vista project.

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland published 1995, a fictional account of the lives of Microsoft employees in the early '90's. Written before the late '90's dot com boom, but quite prescient.

I don't believe either book is available in audio format, Coupland's latest JPod, has an Audio version in iTunes. I haven't read it yet, it gets compared as Microserfs 2.0.

Also Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon are both well worth reading and available on iTunes.

Edited by Ginamos

You might like The Blue Nowhere by Jeffrey Deaver; it's similar to Brown's book. However, it's abridged in iTunes.

As far as Stephenson's books, I liked Snow Crash, but I thought the Diamond Age was much, much better, very different though.

-Rob

I really liked Digital Fortress, too. It was a good into to Brown.

Micheal Chrichton's book Prey is very much a techno-thriller. I quite enjoyed it.

John Sandford's Prey series (nothing like Chrichton) also has an ongoing tech angle in that the protagonist detective also designs video games, so the tech involved in the books is pretty true-to-life.