thenome

Software update for dialup

One of my relatives just bought a mac but they have dialup, so software update won't work for them.

Is there a way I can bring them a cd once every couple months with updates for all of the programs on their mac and all of the mac os x updates that have taken place in the time since the last disc.

One of my relatives just bought a mac but they have dialup, so software update won't work for them.

Is there a way I can bring them a cd once every couple months with updates for all of the programs on their mac and all of the mac os x updates that have taken place in the time since the last disc.

Yes, just download the combo updates. You can find them by just doing a search for "intel 10.4.8 combo update" or similar on the apple site.

Thanks, does the combo update include ilife and such?

Why won't it work? Turn off auto-check, and then manually check once you're logged on. If they just don't want to spend hours downloading, then the above advise is probably just fine for using your connection to get updates for a computer that isn't yours.

iLife isn't often updated. If you use their software update, it should be able to at least tell you what to grab off of Apple's website.

Edited by eternalnewb

Thanks, does the combo update include ilife and such?

I really am not sure. You might try just keeping note of what updates have come out and then doing a search for them on the apple site. You can probably download each update just like the combo update.